Office 2019 to support Windows 10 ONLY (but also MacOS)

vanished
2 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Wow, that's a pretty big move. Office 2016 worked just fine on Windows 7 which was released in 2009. I think Office 2019 should support at least 8.1 and higher. I haven't used Office for Mac since the 2011 version, so I don't know about that side of things.

I personally use office for Mac for almost all of my documents. So I either virtualize or go open source for document editing on Mac now. But I’d guess a lot of a Mac-office based businesses will just use an outdated Office version for a long time. 

Or Pages and Sheets. 

9 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I don't think this will be a major issue unless Office 2019 file formats are no longer backwards compatible, or technically are compatible but formatting and features are broken in the documents. It sucks but since office 2010 and newer are just fine, it won't be a major shock to the system so long as the files are compatible.

I would be surprised if they choose to do that.  One of the things about Office is you can still open files dating back to the very early days decades ago

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've been working with Excel 2007 since well, 2007. Our current image still has 2013 because nobody has bothered to update and honestly I could use all of my workbooks and macros just fine with 2007 still. I had previous jobs in which extensive pivots were needed so 2013 and 16 were much better at that but it's still nothing game breaking.

So while in principle this is a bit bad most offices won't be encouraged to upgrade to 2019 because frankly I don't think most people would need to. But then again if there's a game changing change on Excel 2019 it could be very useful and I'd request it for sure if it mean a far more robust engine to handle large data sets without busting out an external database for example, that'd be super fucking useful.

-------

Current Rig

-------

office 2013 is still the norm around here. but we are slowly adopting win 10 os enterprise so i guess were future proofing for it.

Once again, Google Docs and iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) might not be as feature rich as Office 365 but they're free. All you need is a web browser. :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

17 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Once again, Google Docs and iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) might not be as feature rich as Office 365 but they're free. All you need is a web browser. :P

Word, Excel and PowerPoint online is also free, and doesn't screw up your documents. Works with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge just fine, no matter the OS you are on.

my parents run Office 2003 on Windows 7 Ultimate, my mom basically can't use any other version of Outlook because they changed it so dramatically that she would have to re-learn her whole eMail experience.

I used to be quite active here.

14 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

my parents run Office 2003 on Windows 7 Ultimate, my mom basically can't use any other version of Outlook because they changed it so dramatically that she would have to re-learn her whole eMail experience.

My primary reason for staying with '03 - besides the fact that all I use anymore is Excel (for tracking my bank account balance) - is because I could never stand the ribbon.  I prefer my standard menus.  The ribbon is just annoying, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

My primary reason for staying with '03 - besides the fact that all I use anymore is Excel (for tracking my bank account balance) - is because I could never stand the ribbon.  I prefer my standard menus.  The ribbon is just annoying, in my opinion.

Try 2016. Not even fully ribbon, there's menus flying out from left and right- at least the settings menu is pretty similar to older versions of Office (though the settings are in the File tab- not their own spot). It's still confusing for me and I've been using it for a year.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Try 2016. Not even fully ribbon, there's menus flying out from left and right- at least the settings menu is pretty similar to older versions of Office (though the settings are in the File tab- not their own spot). It's still confusing for me and I've been using it for a year.

If I did get a newer version than 2003, it would be either 2007 or 2010.  Anything newer, and it relies on activation with a Live account.  I prefer the older method of activation with a key code.  At least with versions <=2010, you could retrieve the product key from the computer.  With 2013 and newer, there is no key saved locally.  It's all managed through your MS Live account.

If I was really forced to get something newer than MSO 2010, I'd probably switch to a free program like Open Office or Libre Office instead.

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Word, Excel and PowerPoint online is also free, and doesn't screw up your documents. Works with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge just fine, no matter the OS you are on.

Not exactly. I tried to open one of the reports I did back in college in One Drive and the formatting alone is slightly butchered. Office online is also very redacted in features which basically forces people to pay for Office 365. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason why people still use Office is compatibility with the rest of people who are still using Office. That's why there are businesses already paying for GSuite end up paying for Office 365 as well.

But if there's one thing Google Docs still does better than Office 365 is real time collaboration.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

46 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Just took a look at Excel online: no macros, very little functionality.

As an alternative to Google Spreadsheets or Libreoffice it's fine, but it's a far cry from the desktop app most people who need to do serious work on Excel need the desktop version.

-------

Current Rig

-------

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's great that they offer it at all but I've had some pretty bad experience with them.  It randomly disconnects and has to reload quite frequently for one thing.  It's also worth noting that they are very stripped down feature-wise compared to normal Office

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

More market share for Apple to gobble up

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

More market share for Apple to gobble up

It definitely will reduce Office's dominance of this space, or at least create the conditions for that to happen.  I mean, Microsoft has chosen to support Mac OS all this time because they figured it was better for them to get more penetration for Office, even if it was on a competing platform, than to lock it to Windows and hope that people would buy Windows just to get Office.  I guess they've changed their minds and I don't think that's necessarily a good idea.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It definitely will reduce Office's dominance of this space, or at least create the conditions for that to happen.  I mean, Microsoft has chosen to support Mac OS all this time because they figured it was better for them to get more penetration for Office, even if it was on a competing platform, than to lock it to Windows and hope that people would buy Windows just to get Office.  I guess they've changed their minds and I don't think that's necessarily a good idea.

Not necessarily for Mac as Mac Office is a different version, released on different years, Office 2011 for Mac is 2010 for PC. Office on Mac has never been that great though and lacks features - maybe they wish to widen the gap. I do find myself using Pages more and more often - automatic iCloud backup and preinstallations make it a great choice for Mac users.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, I really don't think they've thought this through completely.  It may seem good short term (as in, they want to further increase the number of people using Windows 10), but there are enough businesses - not even counting individuals - who have no intention of switching to Windows 10 anytime soon.  By artificially limiting the market for their next version of Office, it will just reduce the number of people who will bother to upgrade, thus reducing their market share.

Maybe it won't have any effect long term, or perhaps it will only be marginal, but it's my opinion that they're shooting themselves in the foot.  We'll just have to see whether it's a flesh wound or if it ends up going much deeper than that.

still on office 2013. does everything i need it to. i have no reason to upgrade, though I'm on W10 anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think that with Apple it goes back to my earlier point: Anybody who buys a mac for work is not going to really need anything on office 2019 anyway they'll do just fine with the current version for a long while even. As long as they have updates for the design stuff macs at work are used for they're ok with basic spreadsheets and exchange connection they don't need the extras, the employees who do are almost always already on windows.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What's the big deal? It's not like groundbreaking features have been introduced in any version of office since 2010.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Good riddance.  I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at work and I'm glad.  It's because applications retain legacy OS support that corporations/governments cling to them.  Windows 10 is the better kernel, more productive (hooray for virtual desktops!) and definitely more secure.  I don't like everything about Windows 10 UI and some of the always connected features or Cortana, but 10 is better than 7 in all ways.

Hehe I'm not even using Microsoft Office (using WPS Office)

Can't we just use older version of Office? Nah that won't affect much.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

30 minutes ago, ShredBird said:

Good riddance.  I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at work and I'm glad.  It's because applications retain legacy OS support that corporations/governments cling to them.  Windows 10 is the better kernel, more productive (hooray for virtual desktops!) and definitely more secure.  I don't like everything about Windows 10 UI and some of the always connected features or Cortana, but 10 is better than 7 in all ways.

The whole point of  businesses sticking with Windows 7 is because of legacy support,on top upgrading things to have compatibility with Windows 10 and the cost of training people to use Windows 10 isn't worth it when everything would still work on Windows 7.

Microsoft isn't considering the rest of the large portion of the market still on 7 & 8/8/1 to push as many as possible onto Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The whole point of  businesses sticking with Windows 7 is because of legacy support,on top upgrading things to have compatibility with Windows 10 and the cost of training people to use Windows 10 isn't worth it when everything would still work on Windows 7.

Microsoft isn't considering the rest of the large portion of the market still on 7 & 8/8/1 to push as many as possible onto Windows 10.

At what cost though?  With cyber threats at an all time high we can't keep band-aiding the Windows 7 kernel.  There is no reason to stay on Windows 7, especially in the age of virtualization.  Everything still works on 7 except for security.  Unless MS forces people to Windows 10 the world is less secure from a cyber perspective, they have every motivation to move people to Windows 10 from a global cyber security stance alone.  I wish we lived in a world where malicious participants weren't a thing and using a non maintained OS wasn't a big deal, but we have to think big picture.

When it comes to infrastructure, out with the old and in with the new in my opinion and do it as fast as you can.  Giving people "chances" and delaying EoL ends up prolonging the problems.