Ryzen upgrade on existing Windows 7 PC

So, incredibly noobish question coming up, feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking something dumb.

I've done enough reading to know that a clean install of Windows 7 on Ryzen can be a nightmare of epic proportions, thanks to spotty USB support. However, given that I already have all my drives with Windows 7 already, I was wondering how much of a headache will it be just to upgrade the motherboard/CPU and throw my drives right in to the new motherboard. Will I even need to do a reinstall of Windows that way?

Any help would be much obliged, thanks.

chances are it'll run mostly fine, the main issue is one of performance (relative to what it shouldbe) and of stability.

EDIT: and you should throw windows 10 on that thing. iirc windows 7 isnt even officially supported, and besides that windows 7 is going EOL at the start of 2020 anyways so may as well switch now.

1 minute ago, Vicarious said:

So, incredibly noobish question coming up, feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking something dumb.

I've done enough reading to know that a clean install of Windows 7 on Ryzen can be a nightmare of epic proportions, thanks to spotty USB support. However, given that I already have all my drives with Windows 7 already, I was wondering how much of a headache will it be just to upgrade the motherboard/CPU and throw my drives right in to the new motherboard. Will I even need to do a reinstall of Windows that way?

Any help would be much obliged, thanks.

Using Ryzen on a legacy operating system such as Windows 7 is not recommended. If you're happy to use Windows 10 then I'd advise upgrading to that and then back up and reset the PC with the Ryzen drivers and firmware.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

well, first of all, Windows 10 sucks badly thanks to it's data collecting features and constant upgrading and patching itself.

now, your windows 7 install may not boot anymore after upgrade. it may help if you deactivate it frist [some activation cracking tools have option to deactivate windows], so it becomes 30 days version again that can be run on any kind of hardware. 

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

I really don't care for Windows 10, the organization and aesthetics of it really bug me. Plus I lost the windows key I had when I redid my system, so I currently have a generated key, and I've no desire to pay for a copy of 10. I'm willing to suffer a tiny bit of performance loss (I'm on an FX-4170, so basically everything will be an improvement at this point), so if the system will boot right up as normal, I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Just jump to Windows 10. Despite all the belly-aching, Windows 10 is miles ahead of 7. If you like the aero look, that's fine, but 7's been left in the dust, it's time to move on my man.

Otherwise, yea I heard there's issues with Ryzen and Windows 7, pretty much everyone's dumped support for it in the passed couple years. Not sure how it would work .-.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Most of the mobo manufacturers have a tool to inject usb drivers into the win 7 install

Do that and it'll install the same as any system

No difference between using win 7 on my haswell system and ryzen other than ms locking me out of my pc unless i upgrade to win 10

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

On 2/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, Frankieanime158 said:

Just jump to Windows 10. Despite all the belly-aching, Windows 10 is miles ahead of 7. If you like the aero look, that's fine, but 7's been left in the dust, it's time to move on my man.

Otherwise, yea I heard there's issues with Ryzen and Windows 7, pretty much everyone's dumped support for it in the passed couple years. Not sure how it would work .-.

I've tried Windows 10 (Had it on my work computer before I rolled it back), I just don't enjoy the layout of it. I can't possibly imagine shelling out money for something I like less than what I currently have. It'd be a ridiculous waste of money.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:06 PM, Pohernori said:

Most of the mobo manufacturers have a tool to inject usb drivers into the win 7 install

Do that and it'll install the same as any system

No difference between using win 7 on my haswell system and ryzen other than ms locking me out of my pc unless i upgrade to win 10

Ah, well that ain't so bad then, figured I was going to have to find a PS/2 keyboard to do the install.

1 hour ago, Vicarious said:

I've tried Windows 10 (Had it on my work computer before I rolled it back), I just don't enjoy the layout of it. I can't possibly imagine shelling out money for something I like less than what I currently have. It'd be a ridiculous waste of money.

Ah, well that ain't so bad then, figured I was going to have to find a PS/2 keyboard to do the install.

Imagine owning a car that you really liked, like a classis AC Cobra. Now imagine gasoline is no longer produced and everything but electric self driving cars were banned.

Sometimes you have to move on because what you like is no longer pheasable. Windows 10 is not bad, although I skipped from XP straight into 10 with a little bit of Linux in between.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 hours ago, Vicarious said:

The keyboard method didn't work for me on the asrock taichi, might be different for you.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

7 hours ago, Vicarious said:

Well you can buy Windows 10 licenses for dirt cheap. I got mine off Ebay for 6$ over a year ago. It's tied to my email, and has been activated on 2 entirely new hardware setups, so it didn't even appear to be OEM.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:13 AM, asand1 said:

Imagine owning a car that you really liked, like a classis AC Cobra. Now imagine gasoline is no longer produced and everything but electric self driving cars were banned.

Sometimes you have to move on because what you like is no longer pheasable. Windows 10 is not bad, although I skipped from XP straight into 10 with a little bit of Linux in between.

Were that the case, of course I would accept my fate and move on. But that isn't the current situation. This is more like "they stopped producing the 289, so if the motor starts to go, you should just junk the whole car and move on to a modern Mustang." I'd rather continue to use what I enjoy, and what works for me. Some people like the new Mustang/Windows 10, and that's awesome for them, I'm glad they enjoy it. But I can't think of even a single change that I actually like about Windows 10, it just doesn't do it for me.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, Frankieanime158 said:

Well you can buy Windows 10 licenses for dirt cheap. I got mine off Ebay for 6$ over a year ago. It's tied to my email, and has been activated on 2 entirely new hardware setups, so it didn't even appear to be OEM.

That may be the case, and I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'm not about to start perusing that kind of sketchy market. Especially not for, again, something I don't happen to want in the first place.

Again, for those that are enjoying Windows 10, great! Just know that the cultish behavior of "give in to our belief" really isn't doing that OS any favours to its PR image. If people want to switch, they will. Continuing to try and switch people over to it just frustrates the other party.

I think you're missing the point. Windows 10 is the only OS that officially supports the new processors. Windows, AMD, and Intel have all abandoned Windows 7.

That being said, Windows 10 doesn't officially support my i7-2600 either, but that's all in the igpu.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

17 hours ago, asand1 said:

I think you're missing the point. Windows 10 is the only OS that officially supports the new processors. Windows, AMD, and Intel have all abandoned Windows 7.

That being said, Windows 10 doesn't officially support my i7-2600 either, but that's all in the igpu.

I can understand the fears about that, but there's dozens of articles about getting Ryzen up and running on Windows 7, so I know that the processor will function, even if it isn't officially supported. My concern was solely in how much of a headache the installation process would be on a pre-existing Windows 7 install.

For all these people knocking windows 10 and claiming it is part of some conspiracy theory or the like.... honestly just go to Linux. If you are having issues with adjusting to windows 10 then I would love to see you adjusting to all the different linux distro's. The truth is windows 10 is here to stay and it is going to be in circulation for a long time (they are claiming it will be the last windows version outside of updates).

So you might as well jump on the bandwagon and start adjusting to the new layout. It isn't that bad, actually some of the features are much nicer and actually work like they should. Then again, I guess you would just use windows 7, have no support, suffer performance issues due to compatibility, and then when it goes EOL have something else to complain about.

15 hours ago, Vicarious said:

@AngryBeaver

Name checks out.

Which doesn't change the fact that holding on to windows 7 instead of upgrading is foolish. Windows 10 is literally better in every way that matters. It isn't even much different aesthetically. Yes the old windows 7 start menu is gone, but with the way searching works in windows 10 you can just type in what you are looking for and have it instantly... no browsing menus needed.

It is much more optimized and has better support for most hardware including SSDs. It has integration to the microsoft cloud (which you can disable if you want) it also has the ability to move your settings between machines (unless you use local accounts only). Has Dx12 support, cortana, and many other great features.

It is quite literally the best windows yet. Which is why they are wanting to make it the last version of windows and just make constant improvements to it. They are pushing windows 10 to phones, xbox's, etc. This means that you can play games on cross platforms now, or use some of your tools,documents on other devices without being tied to your pc all day. It is much more innovative than most previous versions. 

It's always recommended to reinstall the OS whenever you change the platform, so I say reinstall it.

Now if you really want Win7, you can either find a tool that you can download from your motherboard manufacture's website. Asus has one, Gigabyte has one. That can make Win7 installation be possible through a USB stick. Or if you have an optical drive and a Win7 disk you can bypass this whole problem entirely since Win7 on newer platforms only has this problem if you're trying to install from a USB stick.

Here's a tutorial on how to make the Win7 stick:

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

It's always recommended to reinstall the OS whenever you change the platform, so I say reinstall it.

Now if you really want Win7, you can either find a tool that you can download from your motherboard manufacture's website. Asus has one, Gigabyte has one. That can make Win7 installation be possible through a USB stick. Or if you have an optical drive and a Win7 disk you can bypass this whole problem entirely since Win7 on newer platforms only has this problem if you're trying to install from a USB stick.

Here's a tutorial on how to make the Win7 stick:

Much obliged, thanks for the information. My current PC is the first I've ever built, so I'm still learning the right procedures.

2 hours ago, Vicarious said:

As was said about 938473 times above, I have literally no interest in Windows 10.

OK then, i think its better to stick to core 2 duo.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 20/02/2018 at 11:41 PM, asand1 said:

I don't think it supports X79 (my i7 3820 /4930K) based systems either, but yeah; I use Windows 10, I liked 7, not going to lie, but my system actually runs smoothly and well better by the looks of things, plus I'm stuck with 10 now, I don't have a preference, stick with what pleases you, but just know ryzen and recent Intel core stuff doesn't support windows 7 

My PC (Known as TRX):

—CPU: TR 1900X

—Ram: 16GB Corsair Dom Plats "ROG Edition"

—Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

—Motherboard: Asrock X399 Taichi

—Storage: 512GB Sabrent Rocket, 2.5TBs HDD

—CPU Cooling: Cooler Master ML360 TR4 RGB Edition

—Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

—PSU: Corsair AX860

14 hours ago, Mat_95 said:

I don't think it supports X79 (my i7 3820 /4930K) based systems either, but yeah; I use Windows 10, I liked 7, not going to lie, but my system actually runs smoothly and well better by the looks of things, plus I'm stuck with 10 now, I don't have a preference, stick with what pleases you, but just know ryzen and recent Intel core stuff doesn't support windows 7 

Yep yep, I realize that it may not be 100% happy, and that as support gets worse over time, I may eventually have to switch OS, but until then, I'll push through.