Sony NP-FW50 dummy battery, does this work?

I need a bit of help figuring out some power stuff.. In order to power my a6500 for long periods of time (planning to shoot milky way timelapses in spring) I've ordered a 201000mAh Powerbank (RAVPower RP-PB043) which I am planning to connect simply via the a6500's usb port to supply power. However, situations may arise where I'd like to also use my cable release while to powerbank is connected. Long story short: I've been looking into those NP-FW50 dummy batteries and was wondering if it was possible to charge the camera with the powerbank through the dummy battery. My intuition tells me it should work, but it's been too long since I had to learn this stuff. I was looking into either this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-drive-cable-USB-AC-PW20-DC-Coupler-For-sony-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX7-SLT/32677770643.html

or this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andoer-NP-FW50-Dummy-Battery-DC-Power-Bank-5V-2A-USB-Adapter-Cable-Replacement-for-AC/32821167651.html

The first one has an extra converter between the usb conncetion and the dummy battery, I don't know if I need that. 

Here's all the numbers I know :

Sony NP-FW50 battery: 7.2V 7.3Wh (therefore 1A right?)

Output of the powerbank: DC 5V/3.0A, 2 x DC 5V/2.4A, DC 6.5-9V/1.5A, DC 9-12V/1.2A

I'm really thankful for advice since I don't want to fry my camera ;)

Cheers

1 hour ago, historicalpoultry said:

The genuine Sony batteries are rated to output 7.4DC according to their specs.  I'd likely try the second adapter since the specs on the product description rate the adapter's output close to the Sony battery's.

You can't charge the camera with a dummy battery since the dummy battery is using the space where the actual battery goes, but you can power the camera.

They both have to convert the 5V of your USB output to 9ish Volts DC to have enough juice to power the camera. Both should work just fine, as long as they have the correct voltage. I'd just get the less expensive one.

Scratch that, jumped the gun there. 

You could use their app as a remote trigger. if its just to press once to set the timelapse. 

Dummy batteries work fine in general, you shouldn't have any issues.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

14 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Scratch that, jumped the gun there. 

You could use their app as a remote trigger. if its just to press once to set the timelapse. 

Dummy batteries work fine in general, you shouldn't have any issues.

I ordered one of them, if anyone cares I can post my experiences when it arrives. 

About the remote trigger, I just don't want to deal with wireless stuff and since I'll be shooting timelapses that may require more than 990 shots (max. the app lets you shoot) at some point, I just want to be sure. Basically this is me not wanting to screw anything up xD

• 11 months later...

Hi there. How was the experience of using the dummy battery with the powerbank? May I know which one did you end up getting?

6 hours ago, muno said:

Hi there. How was the experience of using the dummy battery with the powerbank? May I know which one did you end up getting?

Hey :)

These dummy batteries are basically just wires with the correct "plugs" at each end. They don't convert the voltage supplied from the power bank to the camera, therefore not making it possible to use the camera properly. My a6500 turned on, but as soon as I started shooting, it turn off and showed the message "battery exhausted". Straight USb to dummy battery doesn't work in this case. 

I don't have the a6500 anymore, but I can recommend this: 

With this you can use L-type batteries and connect the via a normal dc connector to a dummy battery. And it has some really neat features on top of that :)

hope this helps