Why is windows 10 so hard to use?

billyhatcher643

Windows 10 interface is full of useless stuff (for me and how I use my rig) but unfortunately is the only OS that supports my current CPU and the DX12 api some games need

I have a laptop with linux mint on it and looks way better but well you can't game on linux

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't really care about telemetry, you can disable it through one mean or another if you really, really, really care.

I haven't had an update in almost a year, it's nice. ;)

Not only do I not care about telemetry (cuz ceiling cat is already watching me masturbate) but I like updates cuz sometimes stuff is effed and updates fix it.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

There is still Control Panel in W10... I use it constantly.

Also, after the big Fall Creators Update... the Start search works very well and actually finds everything I want.

15 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

I second that!

You shouldn't settle for Linux... why having one when you can have both!

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You shouldn't settle for Linux... why having one when you can have both!

You shouldn't settle with windows because it sucks...

I have several VM's with Windows that I use for testing, and to no surprise it's the same. Run's just like shitty old Windows, and is buggy just like Windows. 

Plus on top of all this, I value my Privacy & Security, which after Windows 7 no longer exists while using a Windows Ecosystem... Plus who knows what kind of shit they had embedded into that OS.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

3 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Why do people complain about updates in W10 like it's a bad thing? It makes your OS more secure. I'm used to Arch Linux where I get an update every 30 minutes for some random package and for me it feels good to be on the bleeding edge. 

How often do those updates require a reboot though?

That is one huge advantage of Linux over Windows, in that very few updates require a reboot.

Something I wish Microsoft Devs would work to implement more (especially server side - I hate rebooting our servers at work after an update).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have to use every modern version of Windows quite often even though I obviously prefer Windows 10. However, when I have to use Windows 7 on a machine, I absolutely hate it. The old file explorer is so much worse than File Explorer in Windows 8 and 10. 

Windows has certainly come a long way from an ease of use perspective. 

Even Windows 10 itself has come a long way from when it first launched. Version 1507 (original RTM) kind of sucked when compared to what we have today. 

Also, to people making comparisons to Windows 7, you are correct, at the kernel-level base of Windows, they are both very much alike, with Windows 10 having more optimizations and support for different types of computing devices (Xbox, HoloLens, Surface Hub, etc.)

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

17 hours ago, billyhatcher643 said:

i dont give a damn if im 4 years behind at least i dont have any bs updates that ruin my expereance like if i were to install the 7700k and the stupid update that doesnt allow me to use windows 7 updates on the 7700k i have a reason to not update

You are like those idiots with an iPhone 6 who refuse to update past iOS 8

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

OP, I dislike a lot of things with Windows 10 too, but for crying out loud you need to think things through before posting.

If you can't make concrete points with examples to back things up you will just sound like a mindless hater which can easily be refuted by saying "I disagree".

Some examples that you could have used to make it seem less like inane hate and more like constructive criticism:

• You can only have 1 settings window open at a time. This is a massive pain in the ass for me because it forces me to constantly go back and fourth in menus, while in the control panel I could just open the two different menus I needed and have them side by side.
  • The network settings have been moved and changed like 3-4 times since Windows 10 was released. It's very annoying when trying to help someone because I can never just send some instructions and have them do something for me. Want to change IP? Well that depends on which version you got.
    In the first few versions you had to go to the control panel to do that. They also had a link to the control panel called "advanced settings" in Settings.
    Then as they moved more things over they decided to specialize that button a bit more and replaced it with "Change adapter options", which brings you to the control panel's adapter page.
    Now I think they have more or less moved everything over so that you can change adapter settings from inside Settings.
    All through this they have constantly changed how right clicking on the network icon in the right corner works too.
  • Some things which used to be easy to do, are now hard because they have moved things to Settings. For example connecting to a VPN used to be a simple click in the popup network menu. Click on the network icon, click on the VPN adapter, and click connect. Now when you click on the VPN adapter it will launch the Settings app, and in there you have to click on the VPN connection once more, and then click connect. They doubled the amount of clicks needed, on top of adding an entire program that needs to launch, plus a bunch of slow animations. What used to take 1-2 seconds now takes 5-6. It doesn't sound like much but when you increase the time it takes to do simple things by 300-500% then your software feels slow and awkward to use, even if it has lots of smooth and pretty animations.

I will pass these requests on to either the Feedback Hub or to Microsoft directly. These are some good ideas. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It may be hard for you, but for me its certainly the best Microsoft OS i've used since Windows XP...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

4 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Why do people complain about updates in W10 like it's a bad thing? It makes your OS more secure. I'm used to Arch Linux where I get an update every 30 minutes for some random package and for me it feels good to be on the bleeding edge. 

Because Windows 10 updates has done all of these things at least once:

1) Reinstall previously uninstalled programs.

2) Reset settings including but not limited to privacy options and default programs.

3) Uninstalled programs despite saying it wouldn't.

4) Removed features such as ReFS support, only to create a a new SKU you need to buy in order to regain the functionality you used to have.

5) Release "security" updates which actually contain data collection components and ads.

6) Sometimes contains massive bugs so big Microsoft pulls the entire update back

On top of that it's a matter of principle. I want to be in control of my computer. You can say that Microsoft are being nice and are just trying to protect me, but at the end of the day I want to be in charge over my own computer. If I for some reason don't want a particular update then Microsoft shouldn't step in and go "it doesn't matter what you think, we know best and will install it for you".

I disagree with the OP's opinions, and if you want the Control Panel, it's incredibly easy to add or use wherever you want.

Most of the update issues are far overblown, or are caused by something other than the update but people want to put on their tinfoil hat and blame other people. Yes, occasionally, some aspect of an update might affect the way something operates, but not even close to the frequency that people claim since that's not how computers work.

4 minutes ago, divito said:

I disagree with the OP's opinions, and if you want the Control Panel, it's incredibly easy to add or use wherever you want.

Super easy:

image.png.7fc6a12b2a8e80f2aae368c0e725c91d.png

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Super easy:

image.png.7fc6a12b2a8e80f2aae368c0e725c91d.png

Exactly; you can Win+R, Win+X, pin it to taskbar, pin it to Start Menu......put it on the desktop, like you know, anything else on your computer and I haven't even used desktop icons in years.

18 hours ago, billyhatcher643 said:

it inst easy to use its hard because of all the annoying auto updates which i hate and also the telemetry data crap that they do and they spy on you more than they do on older operating systems and the seperation of the control panel is even worse i prefer the control panel cause its easier to use and what really annoys me is i cant turn off all of the data collection on it and i cant keep the privacy crap turned off and i cant keep the horrible windows defender off even when i have other virus scanners installed windows defender sucks so hard

you know their are windows 7 skins for 8 right? 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, divito said:

Exactly; you can Win+R, Win+X, pin it to taskbar, pin it to Start Menu......put it on the desktop, like you know, anything else on your computer and I haven't even used desktop icons in years.

The thing is they are transitioning.  At first, they were just offering some of the existing settings in the new Settings menu as well as the original control panel, but as progress was made, the old menu was actually phased out completely.  For example, "control color" no longer takes you to the Windows 7 style version that until recently had been hidden but accessible in Windows 10 - now it goes to the Win 10 Settings panel and afaik there is no way to get to the old one. 

Mark my words this will continue.  That said, if they do it right I don't see that as a bad thing, but the fact remains that a) it will happen so clinging to old control panel is pointless, and b) there will be some "growing pains" in the interim.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The thing is they are transitioning.  At first, they were just offering some of the existing settings in the new Settings menu as well as the original control panel, but as progress was made, the old menu was actually phased out completely.  For example, "control color" no longer takes you to the Windows 7 style version that until recently had been hidden but accessible in Windows 10 - now it goes to the Win 10 Settings panel and afaik there is no way to get to the old one. 

Mark my words this will continue.  That said, if they do it right I don't see that as a bad thing, but the fact remains that a) it will happen so clinging to old control panel is pointless, and b) there will be some "growing pains" in the interim.

I'm sure it will continue, but they're simplifying their platform. The options still exist as they always have for people interested in them. The Control Panel isn't gone, just as you can still run Power Shell, MMC, MSConfig, or any host of other tools. Yes, their location may be obfuscated, but for people interested, they're going to know how to use the Run command, or how to make a shortcut. 

If you find a OS such as Winderps hard to use then maybe something like an iPad is more your speed.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i'm a normal user, i don't access all the complicated stuff, so i'll be talking about userablity

i used 98, XP, ME, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10

gotta say 10 is a vast improvement over the previous windows

i love the start menu. its a combination of 7 and 8.1 + the search function is a godsend

windows explorer have improved a lot too

also the fact that you can easily split open windows to half/quarters and being able to adjust it is very very welcome

i never had forced update in my usage of it so far and even when i do update, it doesn't take long at all

the only one thing i miss is, windows button > right button > shut down, from 7
though you can just alt+f4 as per normal so it doesn't bother me much

I have quite a few problems with Windows 10's UI too. The first example that comes to mind is the notification popup; why does it have an arrow icon for the button to dismiss the notification instead of a traditional X like it used to have before the Creator's update? Visually the arrow would indicate an intent to act upon the notification, not to dismiss it.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

useless stuff

to you, but to Billy Boy its a treasure trove of info they can use against you! All disguised as "product improvement" well I call BS on that Billy Boy!

19 minutes ago, divito said:

I'm sure it will continue, but they're simplifying their platform. The options still exist as they always have for people interested in them. The Control Panel isn't gone, just as you can still run Power Shell, MMC, MSConfig, or any host of other tools. Yes, their location may be obfuscated, but for people interested, they're going to know how to use the Run command, or how to make a shortcut. 

But I'm saying some options don't still exist, or at least they've been moved to a new location (a bit of both actually).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Whiskers said:

why does it have an arrow icon for the button to dismiss the notification instead of a traditional X

because some artsy fella at MS decided to do it that way I guess, maybe to define the OS differently then the previous OS's there is no rational behind it that is for sure, I wish they'd use the X

20 hours ago, billyhatcher643 said:

im just wondering why is windows 10 constantly screwing everything up and the interface is not so easy to use i really hate this os interface im glad im sticking to windows 7 because windows 7 has a much easier more user friendly interface i prefer using the control panel for everything and no settings app for everything else and the start menu is so much better on windows 7 than the half assed windows 10 start menu.  I also think that theres no improvement on gaming speed for windows 10 ether so id rather stick to a older os like windows 7

The reason why Windows 10 went to shit is due to how Microsoft handles updates. Back in the day, they had a dedicated team who used to validate updates to insure qualtiy. But due to the new CEO's vision that team was let go. So now the "Community" validates updates. How? Well some brave soul out there in cyber space, becomes part of the Windows Insider program and tests these new patches out before they a released. The issue is the average person using Windows is not a software dev, so they really cant help MS if there is an issue, all MS does is collect data from the Computer when it crashes, and hopes they can figure out what happen. 

I will state though, Windows 10 is faster if you got an SSD. It has a built in Anti Virus (Took them long enough), and it has better recovery options. My issues with Windows 10 are the fact shit like Disk Management stop working, Ive had the start menu stop working. Ive also had my cursor glitch out ( This has happen on the same machine over 4 Windows Installs). I want to like Windows 10, but it always seems to disappoint me in some way. 

Good news though. Windows and Mac OS are not the only OS's out there. Linux has been around for some time. Been playing around with Fedora. Seems kinda legit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

26 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

the only one thing i miss is, windows button > right button > shut down, from 7

If I understand you correctly, this is still part of Windows 10 (As of Fall update - 1709)

Right click the Start Button, "Shutdown or sign out" ->

Sign out

Sleep

Shutdown

Restart

Though this might not be in older versions of 10. I haven't looked.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If I understand you correctly, this is still part of Windows 10 (As of Fall update - 1709)

Right click the Start Button, "Shutdown or sign out" ->

Sign out

Sleep

Shutdown

Restart

Though this might not be in older versions of 10. I haven't looked.

the difference is that, i don't want to click with the mouse
its a windows 7 habit