Should I Be Worried About Gaming On HDMI?

ChillKyle
Go to solution Solved by Matsy,

Any sources confirming or denying cap of refresh rate?

Don't understand what you mean......what cap?

If you are using a TV or a monitor your FPS is limited to what the display can output (its hz/refresh rate).

Doesn't matter if your GPU is drawing more frames, they won't be displayed.  (like your GPU is outputting 200fps, your monitor/tv will still only display 60)

Regardless you should have adaptive vsync on at all times if you have a nvidia GPU.

Hi guys. So I had some confusion about HDMI. Since I have a 60HRz monitor, does that mean I can only play PC games at a max of 60FPS? I'm not sure what a whole scheme of HDMI vs DisplayPort. I was wondering if I can get some explain to me if I should be worried about gaming over HDMI. I have an LG 47Inch TV.

No worries.

60 hz means the display can physically display 60 fps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Your TV is 60hz also, so its a non issue.

If your TV says its 100hz or w/e, its lying, that's image processing which is usually turned of in "pc" or "game" mode for using the TV with a PC HDMI connection.

I use may 46'' samsung tv for gaming (using it right now to type this...) via HDMI and its perfectly fine.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

You will be fine. Display port has a lot more bandwidth than HDMI so it can physically transfer more data. So until you jump up to 4k or anything crazy HDMI will be fine.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

So lets say I get a GTX 780. If I play my games over 60FPS, will I be capped by my refresh rate or my monitor by any chance?

If you are using your TV in that case you will be capped to the refresh rate of your TV (60hz) 

Even if your GPU is outputting more frames, the TV won't output them because it can only display 60fps.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

So lets say I get a GTX 780. If I play my games over 60FPS, will I be capped by my refresh rate or my monitor by any chance?

No, as long as you don't turn V-Sync on.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Is this a cap due to Refresh rate?

refresh rate and hz are the same thing, so yes.

If you are using a TV or a monitor your FPS is limited to what the display can output (its hz/refresh rate).

Doesn't matter if your GPU is drawing more frames, they won't be displayed.  (like your GPU is outputting 200fps, your monitor/tv will still only display 60)

Regardless you should have adaptive vsync on at all times if you have a nvidia GPU.

Thanks for the info.

This is a nice forum no one would lie to you