Windows overiding boot order when trying to upgrade to NVMe SSD

Ok, I'm trying to upgrade from a 500G Sandisk SSD to a 250G Samsung NVMe SSD. I followed the instructions for Samsung's Data Migration software and successfully cloned my OS and my data from the old SSD to the new NVMe SSD. I've uninstalled the old SSD from my PC to ensure that my PC boots using the new drive, however I still want to wipe the old SSD and use it as a game library. But when I reinstall it in my PC so that I can wipe it Windows Boot Manager overrides my UEFI boot priority and boots from the old SSD, disabling the new one.

How can I edit Windows Boot Manager to boot from the new one and not the old one so I can wipe the old drive?

i7 8700K - 32G G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Asus Maximus X Hero - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - Corsair RM850X - Lian Li PC-O11 ROG - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Raid 1 - 500G Sandisk Ultra II - 250G Samsung 960 EVO

Manually select what drive to boot to. On my mobo if you hit F11 it let's you choose what drive to boot from.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Manually select what drive to boot to. On my mobo if you hit F11 it let's you choose what drive to boot from.

I have, I set the new drive as #1 boot priority and windows boot manager still overrides it.

i7 8700K - 32G G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Asus Maximus X Hero - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - Corsair RM850X - Lian Li PC-O11 ROG - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Raid 1 - 500G Sandisk Ultra II - 250G Samsung 960 EVO

1 minute ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

I have, I set the new drive as #1 boot priority and windows boot manager still overrides it.

That's only the boot priority part that you set in the bios, no?

You should be able to pull up the boot menu and manually select what drive to boot from each time.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's only the boot priority part that you set in the bios, no?

You should be able to pull up the boot menu and manually select what drive to boot from each time.

I know what you mean, but I can't find it in my bios. F11 just takes me to the ez tuning wizard.

6 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

I know what you mean, but I can't find it in my bios. F11 just takes me to the ez tuning wizard.

Try F8, and if that doesn't work, maybe F7.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Ok, I'm trying to upgrade from a 500G Sandisk SSD to a 250G Samsung NVMe SSD. I followed the instructions for Samsung's Data Migration software and successfully cloned my OS and my data from the old SSD to the new NVMe SSD. I've uninstalled the old SSD from my PC to ensure that my PC boots using the new drive, however I still want to wipe the old SSD and use it as a game library. But when I reinstall it in my PC so that I can wipe it Windows Boot Manager overrides my UEFI boot priority and boots from the old SSD, disabling the new one.

How can I edit Windows Boot Manager to boot from the new one and not the old one so I can wipe the old drive?

Hit F8 on mobo to get into boot selection menu, then select your NVMe SSD. 

@DocSwag Asus mobo's usually have F8 to get into boot menu.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

3 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

image.png.a8cee719f72817dbb45712a74617671b.png

Switch to advanced view. So during POST hit DEL or F2, then whichever button corresponds to advanced (F7 I think), navigate over to the "Boot" tab, scroll down a bit and set both boot option priority and boot override to whatever the new drive is.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Try F8, and if that doesn't work, maybe F7.

I found it in easy mode where I can boot straight from any drive and it works fine if the old drice is disconnected, but if it's connected it still gets overridden. Currently I'm booting straight from the new ssd and it's first in boot priority, but if the old drive in plugged in it overrides it all.

2 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

Hit F8 on mobo to get into boot selection menu, then select your NVMe SSD. 

@DocSwag Asus mobo's usually have F8 to get into boot menu.

F8 was right, but if the old drive is connected clicking the drive I want to boot from just makes the screen flash once. If the old drive is disconnected, clicking on the drive I want to boot from boots from that drive.

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

image.png.a8cee719f72817dbb45712a74617671b.png

Switch to advanced view. So during POST hit DEL or F2, then whichever button corresponds to advanced (F7 I think), navigate over to the "Boot" tab, scroll down a bit and set both boot option priority and boot override to whatever the new drive is.

I've done that, somehow the old drive still overrides all of that. :/

Just confirming, but you're on windows 10, right?

If so, make sure that boot options are set to UEFI only. I once had an issue with Windows that had to do with it being set to legacy and UEFI instead of just UEFI.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Just confirming, but you're on windows 10, right?

If so, make sure that boot options are set to UEFI only. I once had an issue with Windows that had to do with it being set to legacy and UEFI instead of just UEFI.

I am on windows 10, where would I find those settings?

18 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

I am on windows 10, where would I find those settings?

Go to your bios. I think the settings should be under boot configuration.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Go to your bios. I think the settings should be under boot configuration.

Found it, but switching it to UEFI only just makes the old drive my only option for booting. At this point, I'm tempted to just get a usb/sata adapter and plug the old drive into my laptop to wipe it.

15 hours ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Found it, but switching it to UEFI only just makes the old drive my only option for booting. At this point, I'm tempted to just get a usb/sata adapter and plug the old drive into my laptop to wipe it.

Random question, do you know if windows boot manager is installed on the SSD? Or is it installed on an HDD?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Random question, do you know if windows boot manager is installed on the SSD? Or is it installed on an HDD?

It must be on the old SSD, because I don't have an issue if it's disconnected.

I suspect it's due to having fast boot enabled. Disabling should allow you to access your bios with the old drive in. Also, I'd suggest trying changing which sata port the drive is plugged into. 

13 hours ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

It must be on the old SSD, because I don't have an issue if it's disconnected.

What happens if you disconnect the sata drive and just try to install windows fresh onto the new ssd? That should guarantee windows boot manager makes it's way over.

Also side note, before you do that, if you boot from the sata ssd is there an option in windows boot manager that let's you choose different drives? Both my hdd and ssd have a copy of windows on them so when I boot up windows let's me choose between the two.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is easy...

Boot from the win10 installer

when you get to the install page, hit install windows.

now you will see all your hard drives in your system, at this point hit SHIFT & F10

a command prompt will open

Now type in

diskpart

now type in

list disk

you will see all the physical drives listed that are in your system like so

Disk 0     online     250GB

Disk 1     online     500GB

Disk 2     online     2000GB

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DISK, I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH, YOU ARE GOING TO WIPE ALL THE DATA SO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 500GB SSD YOU WANT TO WIPE CLEAN

note the Disk number of the old SSD you want to wipe clean

MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT ONE, YOU CAN TELL BY IT'S SIZE - as you said it's a 500GB SSD

now type in

select disk 1  (or whatever number the 500GB SSD is you want to wipe clean)

in the window it will say disk 1 is now the selected disk

WHEN YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DISK

type in

/clean

Now power off the system

You can now boot to your NVME drive and once you get in to windows go to computer management to initialize and format your 500GB SSD so you can use it.

OF COURSE  IF YOU ARE UNSURE THEN DO NOT DO THIS, IT REQUIRES KNOWLEDGE AND IF YOU SELECT THE WRONG DISK AND /clean IT YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THAT DRIVE

SO DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!