Noctua 4-pin Y cables

goraga112

Can i connect Noctua 4pin Y cable to my ASRock H81M-HDS 3 pin connector. If yes, can i daisy-chain 2 of them, so i can have 3 fan connectors.

You can connect 3pin to 4pin right?

1 hour ago, goraga112 said:

Can i connect Noctua 4pin Y cable to my ASRock H81M-HDS 3 pin connector. If yes, can i daisy-chain 2 of them, so i can have 3 fan connectors.

You can connect 3pin to 4pin right?

You can connect 4pin into 3 pin mb headers and 3 pin in 4pin headers but you cannot put 4 pin in 3pin extensions/y splitters but you can connect 3 pin to 4 pin extensions.
and yes, you can daisy chain them together but they might run slow. not all mainboards can handle 3 fans on one header.

2 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

You can connect 4pin into 3 pin mb headers and 3 pin in 4pin headers but you cannot put 4 pin in 3pin extensions/y splitters but you can connect 3 pin to 4 pin extensions.
and yes, you can daisy chain them together but they might run slow. not all mainboards can handle 3 fans on one header.

But PWM only works when all connections are 4 pin. I forgot to mention that.

2 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

But PWM only works when all connections are 4 pin. I forgot to mention that.

I dont care about pwm.. 

4 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

you cannot put 4 pin in 3pin extensions/y splitters 

As long as the casing doesn't get in the way, you can still plug 4pin plugs into 3pin headers. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

Can i connect one of the 4 pins to cpu fan header, and in one of them, connect regular fan, and in the other, a cpu cooler?

5 hours ago, goraga112 said:

Can i connect one of the 4 pins to cpu fan header, and in one of them, connect regular fan, and in the other, a cpu cooler?

Yes, they're both just fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 3.2.2018 at 11:22 PM, goraga112 said:

Of cause but the CPU fan header on the mainboard is regulated by the temperature of the CPU. Hot CPU means fast fan. And when both are connected, both will spin up and down at the same time (If they both have 4pin connecters).
I expect the CPU fan to have 4 pins and the other most likely has 3, thus the cpu fan will regulate down via pwm and the other fan will spin at full speed.

I hope this will clear up the mess, we created.
It's not drawn perfectly, but it will work.

Fan.png

3 minutes ago, helgehelge123 said:

Of cause but the CPU fan header on the mainboard is regulated by the temperature of the CPU. Hot CPU means fast fan. And when both are connected, both will spin up and down at the same time (If they both have 4pin connecters).
I expect the CPU fan to have 4 pins and the other most likely has 3, thus the cpu fan will regulate down via pwm and the other fan will spin at full speed.

Most modern motherboards support dc control on 3pin fan headers. That being said, the 3pin pwr_fan header on the H81-HDS is just a powered header with no control.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Most modern motherboards support dc control on 3pin fan headers. That being said, the 3pin pwr_fan header on the H81-HDS is just a powered header with no control.

I'm aware of that, thanks. I have an ASUS Hero X and a pretty well-organized fan setup with DC controlled Fans in front, bottom and back of the case. But I thought the old, low price MB of OP won't have that.