Burst Coin mining On a Server 1 Pb

Good Day or Good evening Linus!

I am Stefan Dragos Alexandru from Romania and I have a important question to ask you!

I saw your recent video where you mentioned about burst mining...

I did not know where to put the question...and I do hope you will see this ...

I am a burst "enthusiast" let's say and I have a very small mining "rig' for burst (5 TB) .

I want to upgrade (step by step) my mining rig to 1 PB and more (a lot more ...in time)

but I have a dilemma more exact I DONT know what is the best/efficient  price/power miner build

I am thinking to create (custom build) a server like this

https://www.45drives.com/products/storinator-xl60-configurations.php

Will it be good? will it work...A NAS can support the command of a burstcoin scrypt?

In these times most all of burst coin users have a very basic build like a pc + some external drives....BUT that build has a lot of problems....the more drives you put ...the less the speed of finding a block becomes even if you have more power ...unless you optimeze the pc every single time you put a hdd in it.

A server has much bigger speeds than a pc+external hdd will have.

So I ask again....Will a NAS server be able to MINE burst coin? (a server of 1 petabyte)

I hope I dont offend people...I am serious about this and look for progress ....and as I see it after mining for 2 years burscoin  (evidence on my youtube channel -cynetyc-)...WE NEED more efficient miners...a pc+hdd build will not do it anymore.

With respect Dragos!

36 minutes ago, Cynetyc said:

I want to upgrade (step by step) my mining rig to 1 PB and more (a lot more ...in time)

oh shit ... so miners added harddrives to their list now. ok ... i guess that means no harddrives for gamers in 2018. 

whats next? mining on soundcards ?

It would probably work, but those Storinators are super expensive. That combined with the cost of 1PB worth of drives drives up the ROI time so far that it wouldn't be profitable unless you run it for a very long time. The project would be interesting though.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

oh shit ... so miners added harddrives to their list now. ok ... i guess that means no harddrives for gamers in 2018. 

whats next? mining on soundcards ?

Soundcoin!

I'll get started on it today :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

It would probably work, but those Storinators are super expensive. That combined with the cost of 1PB worth of drives drives up the ROI time so far that it wouldn't be profitable unless you run it for a very long time. The project would be interesting though.

Thanks for your reply thegreengamers !

I also belive that it will work ...my only fear is not to throw some hard earned money to something that will not work. So I am thinking to build a very small NAS and see if that will work and then maybe actually buy a storinator....

I belive in burst coin and 2-3 year ROI for me is acceptable ....but in the same time this coin had a great run in 2017 and I belive that this year it will grow much more.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:24 AM, Cynetyc said:

Thanks for your reply thegreengamers !

I also belive that it will work ...my only fear is not to throw some hard earned money to something that will not work. So I am thinking to build a very small NAS and see if that will work and then maybe actually buy a storinator....

I belive in burst coin and 2-3 year ROI for me is acceptable ....but in the same time this coin had a great run in 2017 and I belive that this year it will grow much more.

You know that you're basically gambling, right?

BurstCoin might not even be around in 2 years. The price might spike. Or it might tank. The difficulty might spike so high that you can no longer cover electrical costs.

So, PLEASE ONLY DO THIS if you can literally afford to burn the money in a fire. If never recouping the cost of the server is a financial problem, then DO NOT do it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

BurstCoin might not even be around in 2 years. The price might spike. Or it might tank. The difficulty might spike so high that you can no longer cover electrical costs.

So, PLEASE ONLY DO THIS if you can literally afford to burn the money in a fire. If never recouping the cost of the server is a financial problem, then DO NOT do it.

Shut the fuck up!

...I want to get cheap lightly used 8TB drives once the Burst Coin bubble pops. ^________________^

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Shut the fuck up!

...I want to get cheap lightly used 8TB drives once the Burst Coin bubble pops. ^________________^

Oh! My bad! I didn't realize I should be looking out for your used hardware deals xD

Duly noted!

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Shut the fuck up!

I do as well. So please crash soon :) as I want 17 drives for my NAS

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A crash would be nice, I could do with a few more drives. I have 5, 15 bay chassis sitting to my right that are begging for drives....

34 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Shut the fuck up!

I have 6 free bays in my MD1200 SAS Expander... I could certainly use some cheap drives to fill them up too :P

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

50 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I have 6 free bays in my MD1200 SAS Expander... I could certainly use some cheap drives to fill them up too :P

Normally I buy drives as I need them, over time as drives get larger and prices inch down, it's usually the most economical option.  Though 8TB's have been the best $/GB choice for some 18+ months now.  But hey, if i could get 8TB drives for $100 CAD each after someone realized Burstcoin wasn't going to buy the a house, I can fit five more in my server. :)

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Normally I buy drives as I need them, over time as drives get larger and prices inch down, it's usually the most economical option.  Though 8TB's have been the best $/GB choice for some 18+ months now.  But hey, if i could get 8TB drives for $100 CAD each after someone realized Burstcoin wasn't going to buy the a house, I can fit five more in my server. :)

I a planing on 2tb older seagate enterprise new old stock but if these I can have for similar why not. I may need a new raid card but that is fine for me ending up with about 100tb of space

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

22 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Thank you for your input, dalekphalm!

Right now it is more easy to just invest in burst and just hodl for some time...but I am mining burst for 2 years now and I got some coins. Those coins I use to upgrade my mining rig and invest small amount in the burst (when it is down ...like on these days...biig btc downfall) . Elec. cost is almost zero for my place in Romania as a use a Fotovoltaic pannel. The only thing is that I really want to improve ...and find a better sollution to a miner. PC+hdd sounds fun but in reallity the difficulty will top that so we need a more better mining rigs...In my opinion a server with 1 pb will be the solution ...until the next dif.drop.

And on the last note...if the coin will not exist (worst case ) the hdd can be repurposed for something else (steem server, sell, or hosting ) .

A  investment into something real ...always will be profitable.

7 minutes ago, Cynetyc said:

A  investment into something real ...always will be profitable.

Uhm... no. That's not how it works.

An investment being profitable means you need to get more money out of it then you put in.

If you spend, say $5000 on the equipment, make $1000 worth of burst coin, then sell the equipment for $2500, you lost $1500. That would not be profitable.

Now if you decide to repurpose the server? Sure. Okay. Now we're talking about something potentially worthwhile.

My point remains: If you spend the money on the server, and cannot afford not getting a return (Eg: You pay for the server, and the next day, the coin crashes and disappears, and this makes you go bankrupt), then DO NOT do it.

If you were gonna buy the server anyway? Sure. If you can afford to lose all that money with no return? Sure.

Just go in knowing the risks. Too many people buy into Crypto mining, without knowing the risks, and then get in over their head because they expect a fat return and sometimes don't get it.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Uhm... no. That's not how it works.

An investment being profitable means you need to get more money out of it then you put in.

If you spend, say $5000 on the equipment, make $1000 worth of burst coin, then sell the equipment for $2500, you lost $1500. That would not be profitable.

Now if you decide to repurpose the server? Sure. Okay. Now we're talking about something potentially worthwhile.

My point remains: If you spend the money on the server, and cannot afford not getting a return (Eg: You pay for the server, and the next day, the coin crashes and disappears, and this makes you go bankrupt), then DO NOT do it.

If you were gonna buy the server anyway? Sure. If you can afford to lose all that money with no return? Sure.

Just go in knowing the risks. Too many people buy into Crypto mining, without knowing the risks, and then get in over their head because they expect a fat return and sometimes don't get it.

Thank you dalekphalm, you make a valide point there!

I needed a  server for quite a while now and plan to repurpose if it will not be profitable.

I am very happy that I got valide anwers to my question...I was not expecting this. I will not jump directly to take a server and I will  calculate each step that I make towards mining burst. Thanks again.

On 6.2.2018 at 1:54 AM, AshleyAshes said:

I want to get cheap lightly used 8TB drives once the Burst Coin bubble pops.

what if the bubble takes a little longer to pop giving them miners just enough time to abuse that harddrive until it will be on its last leg when you finally can buy it ?

13 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

what if the bubble takes a little longer to pop giving them miners just enough time to abuse that harddrive until it will be on its last leg when you finally can buy it ?

I guess that'll depend.  From what I've read, Burstcoin puts little impact on a drive outside of the initial plotting.  They otherwise largely sit idle.  Though some of his is conjecture.  It'd be interesting to see what drives 'look like' once the Burstcoin bubble pops and others can examine the hardware.

• 1 month later...

@Cynetyc

Unfortunately you aren't allowed to link to personal youtube videos/channels, you can do in a status update on your profile though.

As for the topic you're much better off getting used server chassis off ebay than buying a 45 drives chassis or system, way cheaper. You can also buy used disk shelves on ebay as well or turn a server chassis in to one using external SAS HBAs.

You can start with a single 12, 16 or 24 bay server chassis with inbuilt expander (saves a PCIe slot much recommended for over 16 bay) and put in a low power system in to it with a SAS HBA to run the internal HDD. Then once you've filled up the server put in an external SAS HBA and connect that to an external JBOD disk shelf or modified server chassis, you can daisy chain these off a single SAS HBA but much easier to do that if using a proper disk shelf not a custom one.

Basically it will look something like this.

220px-HP_EVA4400-1.jpg

And logical diagram

E1000-Dual-IO-Straight.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 1:08 PM, leadeater said:

@Cynetyc

Unfortunately you aren't allowed to link to personal youtube videos/channels, you can do in a status update on your profile though.

As for the topic you're much better off getting used server chassis off ebay than buying a 45 drives chassis or system, way cheaper. You can also buy used disk shelves on ebay as well or turn a server chassis in to one using external SAS HBAs.

You can start with a single 12, 16 or 24 bay server chassis with inbuilt expander (saves a PCIe slot much recommended for over 16 bay) and put in a low power system in to it with a SAS HBA to run the internal HDD. Then once you've filled up the server put in an external SAS HBA and connect that to an external JBOD disk shelf or modified server chassis, you can daisy chain these off a single SAS HBA but much easier to do that if using a proper disk shelf not a custom one.

Basically it will look something like this.

220px-HP_EVA4400-1.jpg

And logical diagram

E1000-Dual-IO-Straight.png

Wow...  I just saw the reply!

Thank you very much for the reply and sorry about my link ...My intention was honest and I do not want to spam.

In any case That is a very good reply and thank you very much, this is exact what I was searching!

Just like to say , Good luck with your Burst coin mining

Cynetyc

But I really think like 95% 97% of the other crypto coins out there , burst will come to naught.

Also an added point , you say that the cost of electricity is almost /free , but surely if you were not wasting it on these burst servers you could store it or sell it back to the grid for a fee?

in the LTT video he made about £1.12p for months work, the ROI would surely be 5 years+ , and more disks equal more failures. Still,  everyone needs a hobby. my 2cents (a days burst mining?) xD