Internet not working anywhere near rated speed?

MF270

So, I have 75mbps internet, and my cable is CAT5e. Yet, when I try to download games (While doing almost nothing else), download speed is at around 5mbps! What's going on?

1 minute ago, MF270 said:

So, I have 75mbps internet, and my cable is CAT5e. Yet, when I try to download games (While doing almost nothing else), download speed is at around 5mbps! What's going on?

Check task manager, see what’s being used. 

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

Downloading via what? Steam?

Have you run a speed test?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 MBytes/sec or 5 MBits/sec? Also might depend on server side of things.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

I had a similar issue. it ended up being my cell phone and my wifes once we got home were backing up all our photos to the cloud. Greatly dropping our internet speed. try knocking off any cell phones or wifi devices and try a speed test again

2 minutes ago, MF270 said:

did you run a speedtest? downloading games depends on a lot of factors. it could be a bandwidth limit from the download server, busy download servers and whatnot.

also keep in mind that download clients may show megaBYTES per second instead of megaBITS per second (5 megabytes = 40 megabits)

steam can be switched between one and the other

image.png.eb93817c409fd1de3301b4eae1d8f61b.png

11 minutes ago, MF270 said:

is that your rated speed or just "UP TO" speed? run speed test and see what you get. there are different variables that can be taken in to account.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I have had to deal wit ISP's and this issue multiple times - It may not necesarily be the ISP's fault - 
What ISP are you with? 
Talk Talk / Plus Net / etc

check the connections in your home - does your PC / Laptop connect with a cable or wifi? 
change to cabled connection if Wifi - change the cable if cabled 

Failing that-  check the router you are using is a VDSL2 Router (in the UK) 
Check the cable between your router and the wall socket. (or router and Modem then modem and wall if you been given one of those)  - change it and test speeds again
on the wall socket itself what type of connection do you have is it two seperate connections one for broadband and one for phone or do you have to use a splitter - if splitter - change the splitter - and complain that you need a NEW socket installed with the built in splitter - (cleaner asthetically and easier to test for issues)

once all these are done with no improvements - then the issue is either the socket the copper from the socket to either external junction box or master socket in home - at which point your fault is the responsibility of the ISP to handle.

If they fail to fix the issue - keep calling and keep complaining. EE are pretty good (now owned by BT) BT are pretty good and sky are reasonable

Talk talk, Plus net and other smaller services can be flakey at best, and if it is available i will always recommend virgin over BT Lines. 

but you need to complain - and inform the technicians of the tests speeds etc, and ask them to monitor for faults on the line.  and make sure the engineer when they come out test the connection from the master socket all the way through to the junction box and the exchange. thoroughly.  DO NOT Let them fob you off with the oh you need a new router routine... 

the chances are they have screwed something up at the exchange or the connection at the junction box is most likely to be faulty at this point - or a cable in the ground is broken. 

But before you do call an engineer out - Test ALL your connections and change ALL cables - if possible test your router by changing that too first, because if they don't find a fault they may charge you - *ISP dependant

it took me 4 months of complaints with EE-  but before i moved out that property - i have a connection - 73Mbps solid every single time i used it - because i made sure that EE were kept on their toes - and every time there was a fault external of my network - I was getting 3 months free broadband out of them every time... 

3 minutes ago, Metal_Kitty said:

I have had to deal wit ISP's and this issue multiple times - It may not necesarily be the ISP's fault - 
What ISP are you with? 
Talk Talk / Plus Net / etc

check the connections in your home - does your PC / Laptop connect with a cable or wifi? 
change to cabled connection if Wifi - change the cable if cabled 

Failing that-  check the router you are using is a VDSL2 Router (in the UK) 
Check the cable between your router and the wall socket. (or router and Modem then modem and wall if you been given one of those)  - change it and test speeds again
on the wall socket itself what type of connection do you have is it two seperate connections one for broadband and one for phone or do you have to use a splitter - if splitter - change the splitter - and complain that you need a NEW socket installed with the built in splitter - (cleaner asthetically and easier to test for issues)

once all these are done with no improvements - then the issue is either the socket the copper from the socket to either external junction box or master socket in home - at which point your fault is the responsibility of the ISP to handle.

If they fail to fix the issue - keep calling and keep complaining. EE are pretty good (now owned by BT) BT are pretty good and sky are reasonable

Talk talk, Plus net and other smaller services can be flakey at best, and if it is available i will always recommend virgin over BT Lines. 

but you need to complain - and inform the technicians of the tests speeds etc, and ask them to monitor for faults on the line.  and make sure the engineer when they come out test the connection from the master socket all the way through to the junction box and the exchange. thoroughly.  DO NOT Let them fob you off with the oh you need a new router routine... 

the chances are they have screwed something up at the exchange or the connection at the junction box is most likely to be faulty at this point - or a cable in the ground is broken. 

But before you do call an engineer out - Test ALL your connections and change ALL cables - if possible test your router by changing that too first, because if they don't find a fault they may charge you - *ISP dependant

it took me 4 months of complaints with EE-  but before i moved out that property - i have a connection - 73Mbps solid every single time i used it - because i made sure that EE were kept on their toes - and every time there was a fault external of my network - I was getting 3 months free broadband out of them every time... 

I have a saying that applies here, 

We Pay - You Obey 

Basically - become the biggest thorn in their side until they provide you with a service that you are paying for...  and use every trick in the book Legally that you can. including breach of contract for failing to maintain the external connections to and from your property and the exchange.. 

EE got so annoyed with me on this that my Phone number was stored on their "Staff" Global address list in order to make sure i was dealt quickly and properly with by a senior engineer on the team. which was quite hilarious when they answered the phone 

"Hi, How are you today mate?" instead of the usual "Hello you are through to EE all calls are being recorded and monitored for training purposes are you ok with this?" 

Beautiful to be treated as a human rather than a statistic