Windows 10 finally overtook Windows 7 in market share

Life with Windows 10  

265 members have voted

1. 1. If you're using a PC Windows 10 as the OS, how would you rate your experience at the moment?

2. 2. What build of Windows 10 are you using at the moment?

• Fall Creators Update (Build 1709)
    • Creators Update (Build 1703)
    • Anniversary Update (Build 1607)
    • July 2015 first stable release (Build 1507)
    • November 2015/Threshold 2 (Build 1511)
    • Windows Insider Build

voted for "Good" because it's stable but you can't install custom visual styles like in W7, the default theme sucks no matter what colour you use, it's just plain monochrome boring af, I also miss the Windows Classic style, the one that looked like Win9X

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

To me the user exp is... Mixed? Since without enabling nearly every checkbox from ShutUp10 it's total garbage usability-wise, but suddenly this OS becomes responsive after disabling 95% of services, to the point where 1core AM2 Semprons can somewhat cope with it.

I only use windows 10 on 2 test rack computers at work and since they have been updated their reliability has drastically reduced, windows 10 has only 1 new feature I value the rest is either pointless to me in particular or objectively bad. Frankly it is the least reliable OS in the since windows ME.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Zubkover said:

To me the user exp is... Mixed? Since without enabling nearly every checkbox from ShutUp10 it's total garbage usability-wise, but suddenly this OS becomes responsive after disabling 95% of services, to the point where 1core AM2 Semprons can somewhat cope with it.

It's not the OS's fault it runs slow on such old and low grade hardware. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

That doesn't work for everything.  It helps, but it's not a complete replacing for just running them in Windows natively.

Well then run windows in an isolated VM... :D

Superfetch on 10 will regularly hang my PC in between booting up programs. Not a virus since I can do it off a fresh re-install with a couple of programs I have on disc installed.

I have to nitpick to find shit I dont like on windows 10 but I am on windows 10 pro so I dont have the update issues t hat people whine about or ads.My only big concern is with the store which I mostly dont use but it's full of gambling games.

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Superfetch on 10 will regularly hang my PC in between booting up programs. Not a virus since I can do it off a fresh re-install with a couple of programs I have on disc installed.

My superfetch is turned off, things that are installed on a SSD especially m.2 dont need superfetch and that leaves more ram for things that are actually useful.

On 2018/2/2 at 9:02 PM, Jamiec1130 said:

By the way, you're missing build 1507/10240 on the list.

Nope, there is the build 1507/10240 on the list.

Context Matters!

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

I have to nitpick to find shit I dont like on windows 10 but I am on windows 10 pro so I dont have the update issues t hat people whine about or ads.My only big concern is with the store which I mostly dont use but it's full of gambling games.

My superfetch is turned off, things that are installed on a SSD especially m.2 dont need superfetch and that leaves more ram for things that are actually useful.

Me and everyone I know is on ten home, we don't have problems with updates or ads.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Never had any real issues with Windows 10 until recently, when my start menu just decided to die on me.

Then it did the same on my mother's laptop a few days later for some reason. 

Was able to fix it, but I wish Microsoft had a built-in way to fix their start menu automatically, like through their Troubleshooter thingamajig.

In my case it was fixed by creating another user account (and because you can't create a new account through control panel/settings when the start menu is dead since it takes Settings along with it, I had to do the following):

Spoiler

-press WinKey+R,

-typed " netplwiz " in the Run window,

-Add new user account,

-log out of current session, (right click start menu, sign out(because yes, Right clicking still works))

-wait until windows initialize, see that the start menu is working properly...

-log back out and login to your original account,

-everything is now fixed, somehow

-delete the new account for having served its purpose... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

In my case it was fixed by creating another user account (and because you can't create a new account through control panel/settings when the start menu is dead since it takes Settings along with it, I had to do the following):

Hide contents

-press WinKey+R,

-typed " netplwiz " in the Run window,

-Add new user account,

-log out of current session, (right click start menu, sign out(because yes, Right clicking still works))

-wait until windows initialize, see that the start menu is working properly...

-log back out and login to your original account,

-everything is now fixed, somehow

-delete the new account for having served its purpose... 

There's another way, through the command prompt.  Personally, I find it easier than using the GUI.

net users "user name" /add

net localgroup administrators "user name" /add

The second command is if you wish to make it an administrator account, as opposed to a standard user.

15 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

So when are they dropping 32 bit ? guessing it does't really make any sense anymore especially for gaming and current gen games.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-core-polaris

Not exactly dropped but getting close to it.

Most of my experience with W10 is pretty negative.

About the only thing I consider nice on it is adding a printer is fairly painless.  Otherwise, I can write a good list of issues I had with the OS.  Lets say this, it is bad when an OS reminds me of Vista on release.

38 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

So when are they dropping 32 bit ? guessing it does't really make any sense anymore especially for gaming and current gen games.

Gaming is only one segment of what a computer can do.  32 bit, even 16 bit is used still within the business segment, gov, and military.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Here's another article that explains the difference between the netmarketshare and gostats a bit better.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/259779-windows-10-now-runs-600-million-devices-worldwide

It would seem when all things are taken into account win 10 is actually doing really well.  It is dominant in the US and Europe despite lengthening upgrade cycles (particularly in business where systems are hired for x number of years at a time), and where households who buy pre-built systems (including laptops) who don't usually upgrade for 5 years or more are said to be holding the numbers back.      That Chinese market must be huge to hold back the world average when there is a 9% gap between the 10 and 7 in both the US and Europe.

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's not the OS's fault it runs slow on such old and low grade hardware. 

The point I was making that even with my FX 8320 and fresh SSHD at the very first reboots it were slowe, as If I was using it on old HDD with multiple reallocated sectors and some Pentium E at best. >.>

On 2/3/2018 at 2:54 AM, Sfekke said:

I hate to say that isn't an error caused by Windows, some programs do not make a start menu shortcut.

Happened in Windows 7 as well; for once something M$ didn't cause "yay"

Then some programs don't get removed from the start menu after you uninstalled them.
Last time I had Win10 installed I remember for some reason Audacity's shortcut was flat out broken because I once uninstalled it and reinstalled it. OBS changed it's name or something, The OBS shortcut in the start bar pointed to the old version so it wouldn't work, and I couldn't remove it, (the new version wasn't there.) I never found a 'fix' that actually worked for me.

It was constant little things like that, that made me give up on 10 and move back to 7.

8 hours ago, Zubkover said:

The point I was making that even with my FX 8320 and fresh SSHD at the very first reboots it were slowe, as If I was using it on old HDD with multiple reallocated sectors and some Pentium E at best. >.>

Then there is something wrong with how you are doing it or some other part of your computer because It runs easily fine on almost any hardware so long as it is a 64bit processor. 

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Then there is something wrong with how you are doing it or some other part of your computer because It runs easily fine on almost any hardware so long as it is a 64bit processor. 

There's not much really you can do wrong about doing a fresh Windows install on formatted partition tho xD

I think i'd dislike windows less if it wasn't so inconsistent in it's UI. As it happens it's the only way to play most games. Maybe one day windows won't be so dominant.

4 hours ago, Zubkover said:

There's not much really you can do wrong about doing a fresh Windows install on formatted partition tho xD

All I am saying is there is no specific reason linked to windows 10 that would make it run slow on an 8320 or any CPU of that era. I've seen it run very well on celerons and old Pentium dual cores.  

Im glad win 10 is finally getting ahead. Honestly dont get all the hate behind win 10 (other than the god awful BS search is) because it does everything better than win 7 could ever do by miles. 

But 8.1 will always have a place in my heart

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im glad win 10 is finally getting ahead. Honestly dont get all the hate behind win 10 (other than the god awful BS search is) because it does everything better than win 7 could ever do by miles. 

But 8.1 will always have a place in my heart

On the surface it seems great.

But if Windows 7 got DirectX 12 & some much needed love it'd be better.

I do not see a reason to keep releasing new OS iterations. If they would have stayed at 7 & asked a fee of $ 25 a year to use & update it. I would have paid that fee.

Just give us the option. Since if they do not W7 is becoming WXP. Horribly outdated but until you force everyone out they'll keep using it.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*