Windows 10 finally overtook Windows 7 in market share

Life with Windows 10  

265 members have voted

1. 1. If you're using a PC Windows 10 as the OS, how would you rate your experience at the moment?

2. 2. What build of Windows 10 are you using at the moment?

• Fall Creators Update (Build 1709)
    • Creators Update (Build 1703)
    • Anniversary Update (Build 1607)
    • July 2015 first stable release (Build 1507)
    • November 2015/Threshold 2 (Build 1511)
    • Windows Insider Build

Only real complaint I can remember right now is the bad control panel/settings.

Also, some programs doesn't show up when you install them when you search for them in start menu, but I think that's half the programs fault(?). And is rare.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Only real complaint I can remember right now is the bad control panel/settings.

Also, some programs doesn't show up when you install them when you search for them in start menu, but I think that's half the programs fault(?). And is rare.

I hate to say that isn't an error caused by Windows, some programs do not make a start menu shortcut.

Happened in Windows 7 as well; for once something M$ didn't cause "yay"

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I mean, if you force people to use it of course its going to get market share.

12 hours ago, divito said:

What exactly are you doing that disrupts stability of the OS? I've never had a Windows 10 crash with it on my laptop or desktop even when I was running the Insider versions before they launched it.

And what bloatware are you claiming is on Windows 10?

I'll agree with your Control Panel comment, insofar as it took me getting used to typing it in Start or pinning it there. Now I simply use the built-in shortcut as before.

Updates is the number 1 cause of my system failing to boot or suddenly being slow as a snail.

Cortana,Windows Store, Candy Crush or other apps it recommends, onedrive &  3D Objects pinned folder.

Most of these can be removed but it is a pain in the *** OneDrive & 3D Objects need a registry edit

Other "useful tools" you can only get rid off if you start using Enterprise LTSB. Like the Windows Store you can get rid of by using an Enterprise LTSB version same for cortana.

If you tell me that isn't very stubborn bloatware/crapware then .. ?!?!? What where we complaining about with HP/ASUS/MSI/ACER/Etc? They did it & we all hated it.

Norton/Kaspersky/mecafee/Random ASUS Cloudstorage/Random Acer Games app/etc

Same type of tools but people hated seeing them preinstalled.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I mean, if you force people to use it of course its going to get market share.

Both Apple and Linux have been legitimate options for more than a decade now.  Maybe even closer to 15 years. We can't keep blaming legacy or human nature for clinging to something if it is genuinely shit and intrinsically brings nothing to the table.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Both Apple and Linux have been legitimate options for more than a decade now.  Maybe even closer to 15 years. We can't keep blaming legacy or human nature for clinging to something if it is genuinely shit and intrinsically brings nothing to the table.

I used Linux Mint for a while until I upgraded my Mac (I had a desktop + laptop back then), I was pretty astonished to find when you update, there was no restart or logging out needed. Everything worked pretty well with little setup and most of it was fairly intuitive. A lot of small things can make Windows 10 really great - but it is just lagging behind the competition now for sure - and that competition is free. What makes people keep Windows at this point , in my view, is simply compatibility, performance in applications and pre-installations.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What makes people keep Windows at this point , in my view, is simply compatibility, performance in applications and pre-installations.

How I wish dumping Windows is easy

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

not sure if i would really call this "news" it was just a matter of time. windows 7 is 9 years old, so it's held on for quite a long time.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I used Linux Mint for a while

Linux Mint was my favorite distro.

10 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

How I wish dumping Windows is easy

While I haven't had much issues with windows, the main reason that I use it as my main OS is because of it's wide application support.

14 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

not sure if i would really call this "news" it was just a matter of time. windows 7 is 9 years old, so it's held on for quite a long time.

XP hung on forever too. So did 98SE if I remember right.

31 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I used Linux Mint for a while until I upgraded my Mac

Ubuntu was my mainstay for quite sometime in between XP and 7 (I switched back about 2 or 3 years after 7 was released), I dabbled with mint and few of the lesser know distros and I used Debian for a file server back before freenas was a thing (2000 - 2004).  I still put linux on old laptops and re-purpose them for shits and giggles.   My workshop computer would be running ubuntu except I need 7 for my oscilloscope software (that might change if decent free oscilloscope software turns up int he repository).  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm having an..interesting time adjusting to Windows 10. I upgraded from 7 when I got my new rig since Ryzen doesn't have native support for 7, but I still actively use 7 on my laptop.

I think I've reached the point where I don't have a particular preference between the two and I can use both interchangeably without any trouble.

Why don't u just install Zeffy's Patch for Windows 7 and boom Ryzen on Windows 7 without crashes. I am using my i7 7700k with Windows 7 cause Windows 10 is pile of shit filled with bloatware and when I was using it for some odd reason my network was crashing a lot, after switching to Win 7 there were no more crashes.

Still if you prefer Win 10 then use Win 10, I am just suggesting.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

2 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

Why don't u just install Zeffy's Patch for Windows 7 and boom Ryzen on Windows 7 without crashes. I am using my i7 7700k with Windows 7 cause Windows 10 is pile of shit filled with bloatware and when I was using it for some odd reason my network was crashing a lot, after switching to Win 7 there were no more crashes.

Love your avatar. Mugman make me wet in my undies.

Linus is my fetish.

Microsoft's problem with Windows 10 only now overtaking 7 is... well, its past self.

The company's mantra has long been legacy uber alles -- that is, it would support legacy software for as long as humanly possible to please corporate customers who refuse to upgrade operating systems and apps until they have no choice.  Many of them upgraded to Windows 7 because it had the Windows XP mode which let them run their 20-year-old Windows NT apps.  It could count on OS upgrades because corporate users knew their ancient apps would still work.

The problem is, that only worked so long as Microsoft didn't want to make any deep, underlying changes to the OS that broke compatibility, and so long as home PC sales continued to grow as they did.  And guess what?  Both happened.  When Microsoft lurched into modern code with Windows 10, it forced many companies to either update their software or stay put -- and some of them stayed put.  At the same time, home PC sales fell off a cliff thanks to both smartphones and "good enough" performance.

Windows 10 was always going to face an uphill battle for those reasons.  It was released in a market with little incentive to upgrade, and in some cases trained by Microsoft to avoid upgrading for as long as possible.  The company is taking a fresher approach now, but it's a bit late to the party.  In that sense, Apple has had the right idea.  While it's sometimes a bit too aggressive in cutting off support, it's also wise to draw a line in the sand and demand upgrades to the latest OS if you want feature X or app compatibility Y.  There has to be a balance between legacy support and keeping up with modern realities.

It's true, they either piss off customers by supporting legacy, and having all the inconsistencies that will bring in terms of reliability, or they piss off their legacy users, who don't want to be forced to shell out a bunch of money for new software that may or may not exist for their particular use case.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, and it only took almost three years of it being the only OS people can get, and not to mention the year it was free and NOT TO MENTION the whole forcing it on people's computers thing. Oh Micro$hit, do you feel proud? xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

7 hours ago, SilkyDistress said:

Too late now, I've updated to 10.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

honestly i was going to vote it was a mixed bag

but it actually has been fucking perfect.

except for moving the bootloader onto my hdd out of my ssd. not cool.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

14 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

But...my games, my DirectX.....

455eb16e93d685b1a529b1eee949d8a90c09fede

good-good-let-vulkan-flow-through-you.jpg.147d97b88416dd0ada9c54753892323f.jpg

Joking aside, IMO DX12 is the only thing that Win10 has going for it ... and even then it doesn't even make a noticeable difference compared to DX11 in most games. 

13 minutes ago, themctipers said:

except for moving the bootloader onto my hdd out of my ssd. not cool.

Ah, that's a classic Windows problem.  Win7 does that too, as does 8.1.  The only way around it is to make sure your OS drive is the only one connected when doing large updates, upgrades or clean installs.

I feel like there are things that should stay the way they have been for a while.

They are brutally pushing the control panel out of the way, while not really bringing a good replacement.

On top of that, it is sloooow.

We have old dual core stations at work which work wonderfully with Windows 7. Windows 10 runs quite badly on these devices because of the smart graphics it would seem.

Also, I do have a laptop with it. Love the design, would not go to Windows 7, but COME ON. It takes a solid 5 seconds before the log in screen registers anything, on a decently powerful laptop from 2017?

It is quite sluggish, and I know they can do better.

Searching for e.g. the CMD in Windows 10 search, pressing enter. At times it hangs itself, giving me plenty of time to just bypass the search, use Win+R and type CMD, voila it is up before I know it, waiting a solid 2 minutes for Windows to get its crap together to launch it through the search. Clearly something is wrong with the OS, and they just aren't ironing these basic issues out.

/rant

TLDR: Windows 10 elements are super slow and resource intensive, no likey. Would not go back to Win7 though.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

IMO DX12 is the only thing that Win10 has going for it ... and even then it doesn't even make a noticeable difference compared to DX11 in most games.

True, for me it's more that I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get games working in Linux.  I know they work in Windows, and I (generally) know how to fix them if they happen to not work in Windows.  Moving to Linux just isn't an option for me.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

good-good-let-vulkan-flow-through-you.jpg.147d97b88416dd0ada9c54753892323f.jpg

Joking aside, IMO DX12 is the only thing that Win10 has going for it ... and even then it doesn't even make a noticeable difference compared to DX11 in most games. 

Ah, that's a classic Windows problem.  Win7 does that too, as does 8.1.  The only way around it is to make sure your OS drive is the only one connected when doing large updates, upgrades or clean installs.

windows likes to install updates by itself.

:( 

i did that when installing windows, but i didnt.. when it forced me to fucking reboot to update to creators. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.