Windows 10 finally overtook Windows 7 in market share

Life with Windows 10  

265 members have voted

1. 1. If you're using a PC Windows 10 as the OS, how would you rate your experience at the moment?

2. 2. What build of Windows 10 are you using at the moment?

• Fall Creators Update (Build 1709)
    • Creators Update (Build 1703)
    • Anniversary Update (Build 1607)
    • July 2015 first stable release (Build 1507)
    • November 2015/Threshold 2 (Build 1511)
    • Windows Insider Build

Sources: Global Statcounter, Venture Beat

StatCounter-windows_version-ww-monthly-201612-201801.png.2ccb8fc2b68078a1e35f293a550e30fb.png

Windows 10 has overtaken Windows 7 in usage share. The milestone was reached some 29 months after the latest and greatest operating system from Microsoft first debuted, according to StatCounter.

Specifically, Windows 10 started the year with 42.78 percent usage share (up 1.09 points from 41.69 percent), while Windows 7 fell to 41.86 percent (down 0.03 points from 41.89 percent). Windows 8.1 followed with 8.72 percent (down 0.34 points from 9.16 percent), Windows XP had 3.36 percent (down 0.24 points from 3.60 percent), Windows 8 had 2.44 percent (down 0.42 points from 2.86 percent), and Windows Vista brought up the rear with 0.74 percent (up 0.04 points from 0.70 percent).

My initial reaction when I saw this was "duh!". It shouldn't come as a surprise. Microsoft for the most part disguised Windows 10 as a software update for Windows 7 and 8.1 users so most of them clicked "update". While I'm glad that Windows XP is shrinking down and many financial and government institutions are using Windows 10, somehow I'm not sold on how they achieved it by pretending Windows 10 as a software update and not to mention the god-awful Windows Updates that forces restarts while working. Somehow FCU solved it but it's not on par with Windows 8's method of postponing update installation for 48 hours before requiring a restart.

Power options: Sleep, Shut down, Update and restart.

Windows 8/8.1

u4asr.png

windows10_update_shutdown.jpg

Windows 10 pre-FCU

While I still think stability and memory management is better in Windows 8.1 than in Windows 10, it has definitely had gotten better when you compare Anniversary Update and FCU as some of the quirks I detest in early Windows 10 like that start menu lag that lasts up to a minute sometimes and don't get me started with that invasive telemetry that Microsoft is somehow trying to sweep under the carpet using ambiguous language which I'm definitely not a fan of. Then there's the Windows 10S which is a redacted Windows 10 to be more secure because of reduced legacy support at the cost of flexibility. But regardless your their feelings about Windows 10 and Microsoft's business model, it is here to stay. Just like today, I was in a newly opened restaurant with cashiers using a POS machine running in Windows 10 and many banks and financial institutions  think are upgrading to Windows 10 as well.

Also if there's any consolation from Microsoft, they've finally stopped these awful, cringe-worthy commercials. :P

With such awful commercials and ads from Microsoft, it's the reason that they're not Apple. :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

By the way, you're missing build 1507/10240 on the list.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

By the way, you're missing build 1507/10240 on the list.

What are those? Anniversary? Creators or FCU?

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

What are those? Anniversary? Creators or FCU?

It was the first release from July 2015. I'm still using it.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It was the first release from July 2015. I'm still using it.

Edited it now :)

33 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

My initial reaction when I saw this was "duh!". It shouldn't come as a surprise. Microsoft for the most part disguised Windows 10 as a software update for Windows 7 and 8.1 users so most of them clicked "update".

Well, that should have had an impact on its initial adoption rate, but would not explain overtaking Windows 7 after the "updategrade" period ended (unless it got refreshed endlessly) I think the most recent, slower changes in market share are more likely to be caused by new PCs shipping with Windows 10 pre-installed, meaning that hardware replacement leads to software replacement drop by drop.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think the most recent, slower changes in market share are more likely to be caused by new PCs shipping with Windows 10 pre-installed, meaning that hardware replacement leads to software replacement drop by drop.

At the moment as per the article from Venture Beat, adoption of Windows 10 has slowed down. Either sales of PCs have slowed down or more people decided to skip Windows 10 and keep their Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.

Windows 10 adoption started out very strong, but it naturally slowed down as the months progressed. The operating system was installed on over 75 million PCs in its first four weeks, passed 110 million devices after 10 weeks, 200 millionin under six months, 270 million after eight months, 300 million after nine months, 350 million after 11 months, 400 million after 14 months, 500 millionafter 21 months, and 600 million after 27 months.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

At the moment as per the article from Venture Beat, adoption of Windows 10 has slowed down. Either sales of PCs have slowed down or more people decided to skip Windows 10 and keep their Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.

It has slowed down likely because "updategrade"+new computers > new computers alone. People willingly or "by mistake" installing Windows 10 at launch or in its first year will naturally lead to faster adoption rates that the slow drag of gradual PC replacement (which is a constant force).

Well nice. I have no issues with it, works great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Guess it all depends on where you get your numbers. 

5a7488203b275_NMSstats.jpg.3f423191a2195258e8cd15e50af224fb.jpg

I'm surprised at how fast the gap is closing though.  Last summer it looked like Win7 would still have the largest market share by the time it would hit EoL in January 2020.

Oh well, whatever.  I won't be making the move to Win10 anyway.

Man I need to rant about how bad Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7.  So much spying bloat shit in it that I absolutely hate it.  The control panel alone is a clusterfuck of clusterfucks where it's like some autistic team had a seizure and decided to implement every single idea anyone had about what to put in there.  It's my top priority to migrate to Enterprise LTSB so I don't have to deal with windows store and the daily reminders that "windows is a service".

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Like Captain Chaos mentioned, other sources say that Windows 7 is still the most used Windows OS.

Also, even in that Net Market Share graph, non-desktop devices, like tablets, are going to be counted as contributing to Win 10's "desktop" market share (despite Win 7 not competing in the mobile devices OS market). So, the actual figure is going to be less in Win 10's favour, and more in Win 7's favour than any graph shows.

My guess is that Windows 10 is still a long way off from reaching Windows 7's % of desktop market share.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

For me Windows 10 sucks.

I run Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607, which is the only build that stays stable after 1 month for me.

Normal versions just have too much clutter for my liking, install Windows 10 Home/Pro on a system feels like getting a bloated HP install which forces you to remove bloatware by hand; no PCDecrapifier. Sigh

If it wasn't for the need to upgrade to 10, I'd stay on 7. Why? :

• Windows 7 Allows you to customize in a more personalized manner
  • Windows 7's Control Panel is straight forward & most importantly, in 1 place
  • Windows 7 feels snappier in day to day tasks on my system; 4790K ASUS MAXIMUS VII Hero, 32GB's of RAM & RX480.
    • Example, Windows 10 takes longer to open chrome & sometimes just flatout crashes my File explorer; no reason either

All in all, this feels like going from XP to early days Vista.

Back then they gave you the option, now they just force us into an unfinished & completely useless upgrade.

I rate -11/10. Would never microupgrade again.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

15 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Man I need to rant about how bad Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7.  So much spying bloat shit in it that I absolutely hate it.  The control panel alone is a clusterfuck of clusterfucks where it's like some autistic team had a seizure and decided to implement every single idea anyone had about what to put in there.  It's my top priority to migrate to Enterprise LTSB so I don't have to deal with windows store and the daily reminders that "windows is a service".

Been there, done exactly that.

Cannot say it is perfect, but at least better then what normal consumers get forced down their throats.

Just make sure you do not get a "K" or "N" version, if you are a gamer or use your system to watch movies with certain encoders these are missing when you select such version.

Trying to install is a real pain & I just took defeat & reinstalled the normal LTSB with media extensions.

Attached a screenshot of it running, look at my profile to see what the exact specs are ;)

- Sfekke

Windows 10.PNG

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

For me Windows 10 sucks.

I run Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607, which is the only build that stays stable after 1 month for me.

Normal versions just have too much clutter for my liking, install Windows 10 Home/Pro on a system feels like getting a bloated HP install which forces you to remove bloatware by hand; no PCDecrapifier. Sigh

If it wasn't for the need to upgrade to 10, I'd stay on 7. Why? :

• Windows 7 Allows you to customize in a more personalized manner
  • Windows 7's Control Panel is straight forward & most importantly, in 1 place
  • Windows 7 feels snappier in day to day tasks on my system; 4790K ASUS MAXIMUS VII Hero, 32GB's of RAM & RX480.
    • Example, Windows 10 takes longer to open chrome & sometimes just flatout crashes my File explorer; no reason either

All in all, this feels like going from XP to early days Vista.

Back then they gave you the option, now they just force us into an unfinished & completely useless upgrade.

I rate -11/10. Would never microupgrade again.

What exactly are you doing that disrupts stability of the OS? I've never had a Windows 10 crash with it on my laptop or desktop even when I was running the Insider versions before they launched it.

And what bloatware are you claiming is on Windows 10?

I'll agree with your Control Panel comment, insofar as it took me getting used to typing it in Start or pinning it there. Now I simply use the built-in shortcut as before.

30 minutes ago, divito said:

And what bloatware are you claiming is on Windows 10?

Crapware apps(aka UWP, total junk), defender, cortana would be my guess....

There's lots of bloatware in Win 10:

- pre-installed junk games and apps

- ads

- potentially useless extra integrated services apps like groove (now depreciated, I think), One Drive, Skype, and others

- redundant apps like IE and Edge, MS Paint and 3D Paint, other duplicates that I'm not immediately recollecting

- redundant settings panels

- telemetry services

And if you look at the feature additions of each major Win 10 release, most of what's added is bloat, being stuff most people will never touch, which isn't particularly useful, and basically just there to expand the amateurish capabilities of the OS into every corner MS can think of, to make it seems like an all-in-one product (with every new feature also providing Microsoft additional personal data-harvesting streams, by which MS steals people's data and sells it for profit).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Should have made it a public poll, that way we would know of the self confessed "I'm never using win 10" people have voted or not. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Should have made it a public poll, that way we would know of the self confessed "I'm never using win 10" people have voted or not. 

It's a public poll since this morning (UTC +8:00) :P

I'm having an..interesting time adjusting to Windows 10. I upgraded from 7 when I got my new rig since Ryzen doesn't have native support for 7, but I still actively use 7 on my laptop.

I think I've reached the point where I don't have a particular preference between the two and I can use both interchangeably without any trouble.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's a public poll since this morning (UTC +8:00) :P

I couldn't work out how to see who voted for what.  Got it now.  Pretty much what I expected.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.