Apple sells fewer iPhones, but profits rise.

On 02/02/2018 at 11:26 AM, RorzNZ said:

The iPhone X has been given a lot of bad press

Has it? How than the face unlock beating I haven't seen any bad press.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 2/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, wasab said:

Using iPhone X at the moment, hate the operating system. No file manager, can’t torrent, can’t download videos, can’t download large files, can’t ad block on Firefox or chrome, can’t download emulator, can’t tether without paying more to carrier, cant do nothing.

continuing the rant, can’t download from third party unless you install certificates from dubious Chinese sources, all third parties are low qualities apps that crash/glitch/bugged constantly, screen size is tiny apps do not use all the screen estate, iOS 12 is buggy, often Apps tell me no WiFi even though connected and back button one time literally disappear when I in the setting for no reason. Clash of clans lose sound for no reason when switch back in multitasker. Safari is a piece of junk browser, other browsers like chrome are just skin on top of it thus limiting functionality like downloading files.

Have I mention yet that downloading anything from the browser is actrcious and ends in frustration on the iOS? And so is moving files to be open between different apps? Why can’t I just have the 7zip unzip the freaking file instead of sharing this, sharing that to move files between apps and then delete this and delete that to remove duplicates? Did I mention sometimes file moving outright corrupts the thing? Eg the native browser on an app can’t play a .mv file. I had to move it to another media player app and because the file is 1gig in size, it takes freaking long time, screen then auto locks and when I unlock, the moves file is corrupted and 0mb in size. What the hell Apple? Just what the hell? Stop micromanaging everything an apps does!!!  I can’t even download a large file using a delicates downloader app on iOS for the exact same reason. How do you even download multiple files on iOS??? When you can’t even download ONE???

When can can we have kodi and emulators on the App Store which are found on android play store? Does iOS really have everything? And omg why are all apps are so expensive? Even a “file manager” which is not really a file manager because it still can’t access any files in universal storage, requires like $10 while es file explorer comes free on android and is also much superior to any paid manager on iOS. Did I mention unpaid apps are generally shit in quality? Many don’t even bother to implement hyper threading, causing entire app to freeze when decompressing a file. Goddamnit, the smelly students from the my computer science department can code a better app than this! Softwares on iOS are outright junks. More invasive ads than even android.

App Store looks like total crap too. Look more like a list on a .txt file than an actual software center.

cant customize shit. Desktop is pretty much just square icons. Widgets are more like enlarge notifications in their own separate screens. Oh, did I mention notification is actrocious as well? Why can’t we just swipe left to dismiss notifications? Bloody hell???

copy and paste is shit. It is either select one word or select the entire freaking web page. To select a desired sentence will require you to have fingers with more dexterity and flexibility than a yoga ninja. 

What else? Oh yeah, can’t super user the thing, jail breaking is like crashing system firmware constantly as oppose to android rooting which is smoothly supported. i do not even bother jail breaking even if there is a free jailbreak for iOS 12 because of god knows what will happen to my already buggy OS. Unlike android which can flash back up and flash roms, on iOS if you brick it, you are pretty much screwed thanks to the close bootloader and everything walled garden shit Apple shove at you. 

Sorry for rant, I just dislike iOS very much. I only kept my phone because it is a gift from my parents and I am too broke to purchase myself an android device. 

thank you, putting to words what i can't usually lol

iOS 11 is a public beta still. fuck the KPP

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

thank you, putting to words what i can't usually lol

iOS 11 is a public beta still. fuck the KPP

That rant looks so sarcastic lol

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

That rant looks so sarcastic lol

it does and it looks like what android users would complain about but that's what I would complain about too on iOS 11

glad I'm on 10.3.3 with cydia. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Some carrier blocks Mobile Hotspot / Tethering.

Personally, I wish Android would take a page from Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile, to basically say screw carrier, nothing can be blocked. Not firmware, not updates, no forced install of app that can't be removed, no blocking of phone features. Unlike Microsoft (which they had nothing to lose, the phone wasn't a success in any case), Google has the power to put their foot down. In fact even Google (for their Pixel phone), Samsung, and LG have enough power that carrier can't push other phones to consumers. I mean what? They'll start suggesting Windows Phone 8 devices? HA!

I said before in a different topic that they're reaching the limit of what the market can bear in terms of sales: Everybody that wants an iphone is getting one so sales are slowing down because most people have iphones already.

They were able to make up for it by increasing the price tag but that's a temporary fix at best: they can't add 200 bucks each years before people go "1600 bucks? Yeah fuck that" and their sales take a tumbling off a cliff.

What Apple should be doing is diversifying more and I haven't seen too much of that: wereables have (predictably) failed to gain mass market appeal and their PC products haven't expanded too aggressively so they need to actually start using their huge bank to break through into new markets.

Disclaimer though: the assumption is that they want to keep growing cause that's what investors want nowadays but it is kind of crazy for a company their size to grow at all or even maintain such a presence. But such are the insane conditions since investors know they could potentially get a lot more out of their money if they put it early enough on a company that is bound to experience explosive growth.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 2/2/2018 at 7:25 AM, Jamiec1130 said:

I must be abnormal. I keep my phone for around 3 years. 

Not at all I had my S3 for 4 years before upgrading to a S6 which I had for 2 years and only got an S8+ after the charging port died and had issues on my S6.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:25 AM, Jamiec1130 said:

Same here. I've had my 6 Plus since sometime in 2014 or 2015. I want a new phone, since it's a bit slower than I'd like (sometimes it perks up, especially since I replaced the battery, but my DBrand skin doesn't help with the multiple drops it's suffered), but it just keeps working so I can't really justify a new phone...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

What Apple should be doing is diversifying more and I haven't seen too much of that: wereables have (predictably) failed to gain mass market appeal and their PC products haven't expanded too aggressively so they need to actually start using their huge bank to break through into new markets.

Apple said its Watch sales more than doubled year-over-year in the fall.

The smartwatch market is healthy for Apple.  The industry's problem is that other companies can't or won't keep up.  We're back to what things were like in the iPod's heyday, when Apple dominated in part because most of its competition was junk.  Not that the Apple Watch is necessarily on the same trajectory, but it'll be happy so long as sales grow at a healthy pace.

As it is, Apple seems to be prepping for AR/VR hardware, so it's branching out... just not so much right away.

S4 mini here, going on 5 years old and still going strong on android 8.0 thanks to the guys @ XDA Developers.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

OK so lets keep the conversation on topic.

Continued derailment will result in locking thread and warnings issued.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 2/2/2018 at 7:25 AM, Jamiec1130 said:

I've gotten a brand new phone each and every year since 2012.  Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S4 > One M8 > Note 5 > Note 7 Galaxy S7 Edge > Note 8

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

On 2/14/2018 at 1:42 AM, GoodBytes said:

Some carrier blocks Mobile Hotspot / Tethering.

Personally, I wish Android would take a page from Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile, to basically say screw carrier, nothing can be blocked. Not firmware, not updates, no forced install of app that can't be removed, no blocking of phone features. Unlike Microsoft (which they had nothing to lose, the phone wasn't a success in any case), Google has the power to put their foot down. In fact even Google (for their Pixel phone), Samsung, and LG have enough power that carrier can't push other phones to consumers. I mean what? They'll start suggesting Windows Phone 8 devices? HA!

I wish I could buy another windows Phone. They just aren't available here anywhere.   The lack of apps was annoying sure, but not being  locked into an account with google or apple to simply use a fucking phone was golden.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

I wish I could buy another windows Phone. They just aren't available here anywhere.   The lack of apps was annoying sure, but not being  locked into an account with google or apple to simply use a fucking phone was golden.

Android doesn't lock you or force you to use a Gmail account to use a phone...

Apps: side load or use alternative app stores like Amazon underground or f-droid

Mail calendar:  just like the apps

Browser: just like the two above

If anything Windows phone was the one being more restrictive

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Hmm, neither Windows 10 Mobile. And you can side load apps just fine also. If there was another store, nothing stops you from installing it and getting apps through there.

It's an Apple.

No, I think Windows phone... is being like Windows on desktop... likes to sit in between Apple and Linux/Unix.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Apps: side load or use alternative app stores like Amazon underground or f-droid

Mail calendar:  just like the apps

Browser: just like the two above

If anything Windows phone was the one being more restrictive

You don't need gmail to have a google account, but if you want the thing to stop asking annoying questions every thirty seconds you have to be logged into a google account.

I went from WP to android and the thing keeps asking me for my location,   to backup my contacts to the cloud plus a half dozen other permission I consider unnecessary to operate a phone.  Bing on WP asked once for my location on the map app. 

But sure my experience is not shit because you don't need a gmail account to make a call.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

You don't need gmail to have a google account, but if you want the thing to stop asking annoying questions every thirty seconds you have to be logged into a google account.

I went from WP to android and the thing keeps asking me for my location,   to backup my contacts to the cloud plus a half dozen other permission I consider unnecessary to operate a phone.  Bing on WP asked once for my location on the map app. 

But sure my experience is not shit because you don't need a gmail account to make a call.

As someone who hates Google with all my guts, but still have an android device as my daily driver without Google's disgusting greasy fingers in it, I have a hard time believing that

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

IMO I miss by i-Mate k-Jam with Windows Mobile 6.1

Great software and could run java apps. 

I'm still a big fan of qwerty slide-out keyboards. 

Its pretty unfortunate that Windows Phone 7 didn't gain much traction, I believe mostly due to app incompatibility (Android had a time catching up with iOS on that part too). 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Its pretty unfortunate that Windows Phone 7 didn't gain much traction, I believe mostly due to app incompatibility (Android had a time catching up with iOS on that part too). 

Its more than the apps.

• Android was releasing new updates at super fast rate, while Windows Phone was following the 3 year cycle of actual Windows, and Service Packs... so development was snail paste. Android users where getting cool features. Windows Phone users "Please 3 years for MAYBE that feature! :D"
  • Google was focusing with its manufactures on premium phone with rich, high resolution displays, with, like Apple, carrier subsidized plans via contracts, all by pushing manufactures to flood the market with low and medium cost phones. While not only Microsoft was against the idea, they prevent manufactures from testing that new way of doing things by locking the OS on low-end to mediocre chips and lock low screen resolutions OS. So beside the camera... nothing that really shine over Android.
  • Google, from top to bottom, was super serious about its smartphone. While Microsoft middle management was treating the platform as nothing more than a fad. Blocking resource request for the team left and right, and constant internal battles, and that resulted in many poor decision making. The top and bottom was in, no one in the middle.
  • Google had big multi-million dollar yearly programs in place to help startups (financially and in terms of resources) making their apps on Android. Microsoft had nothing. This made all new comers have apps on Android as well as iOS. They got popular and, guess what? The app is available on both Android and iOS but not on Windows Phone.
  • Google saw what Apple was doing... building an ecosystem.. so they worked on that. Microsoft: "eco-what?" (a massive issue still today).
  • Google was focusing on ensuring that its product and services were available, fully featured, world wide. Microsoft: "Yea.. our services are fully available worldwide!, from California to Main with everything in between!)
  • Microsoft was selling its OS to manufactures, including Nokia despite close partnership. This made phone margins slimer than already is, and made 0 programs to help sale phones powered by Windows Phone. Result: Few manufactures jump in, let alone support it. And phone carrier store where pushing Android powered device due to the high bonuses once they meant their quota in sales. So sales rep trashed Windows phone and painted Android as this wonderful OS, even though, this was before and during Android 4.0, which was a mess of an OS at all levels.
  • Google was helping phone manufacture advertise. Microsoft: "Yea! We advertise! You can see the latest TV ad at microsoft.com (US site only).
  • Google was focusing on a solid app development platform and Store system complete with lots of stats and financial tracking. Microsoft: "Heuumm... oh crap.. heumm.. heumm.. Silverlight! Yea that Flash competitor that didn't go anywhere! Yea Silverlight!!! Store? Heummm... yea, I guess we have this thing you can call a Store... it has nothing for devs. And under Windows phone 8 their apps fails to be packages if its not released in its debug decrypted states as that feature didn't work... I am sure banks won't mind to have their access to the back-ends exposed... Hmm why no banks are making apps on our phones... huh.... Oh, we have Metro! Has 3 APIs!!!! Look at some showcase apps of Metro platform: We have Skype!.. with no image support! Sync issues of messages, and basically no functionality beside basic text, emoticon support (coming later), and video and audio chat in meh quality! Or our new XBox music player app! Has a play button!" (PS: They fixed their crap in Windows 10 Mobile with UWP platform, where now they are some real serious and effort (beside Skype) put into it, as we all can see under Windows 10... kinda late though.)
  • While Google have teams that all work together, Microsoft was in a state of inter team competition. No one was helping each other, and everyone was making its own thing. This affected the company as a whole. Examples: Microsoft Webmatrix a web dev IDE tool that you never heard about. They re-coded everything from scratch, including the text editor itself and color coding system. Why? You have Visual Studio! The best (especially at the time) dev IDE tool! Just add web dev functionality to it! And if you really want to keep it separate for SOME reason, why not re-use the Visual Studio code already made! Another example: Look at Vista! Every program included in the OS itself has a different look and feel. The only common thing is the "back" arrow button.
  • Google had backward compatibility and offered Android upgrades (sadly manufactures and carrier were barriers, but it made good press nonetheless), Microsoft had none.
  • Google has a vision. Microsoft didn't and doesn't (You can point to Surface Phone, but the reality of things, based on several leaks, MS sees it as a companion device to your current smartphone. Who knows if you can actually make calls and send SMS... it could easily be Skype only, and you work with a data plan only)

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

As someone who hates Google with all my guts, but still have an android device as my daily driver without Google's disgusting greasy fingers in it, I have a hard time believing that

Well, I kept telling it not to enable location.  Now every time I open a web browser and go to maps it knows exactly where I am.  Seems it decided to do it anyway.  I know that's not account related but it adds to my displeasure of the company.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I think it was predominately app and app support too. because outside of that my experience was much better than android.