Apple sells fewer iPhones, but profits rise.

1 minute ago, HunterScott said:

That was my initial thought when I received my new 2016 touch bar MBP last year. Luckily, I've not encountered any issues during prolonged use (fingers crossed).

*sometimes* only sometimes my 2017 13 inch's fan cranks up to 100% just to cool itself. 

and it does it randomly... I think it has to do with google chrome and flash. 

most of the time when I use it the fan doesn't even turn itself on.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

*sometimes* only sometimes my 2017 13 inch's fan cranks up to 100% just to cool itself. 

and it does it randomly... I think it has to do with google chrome and flash. 

most of the time when I use it the fan doesn't even turn itself on.

It's definitely flash.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

31 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This is thanks to all the accessories they are making people buy. Maybe next year Apple will introduce USB Type-C Micro, or Lightning cable micro.

I would be very happy if Apple will use USB type C so that accessories like dongles for the MacBook Pro or any laptop with USB C will work with the iPhone but they're not dropping Lightning anytime soon for the sole reason that they make money from licensing their proprietary I/O. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

36 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's definitely flash.

darn it! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

43 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I would be very happy if Apple will use USB type C so that accessories like dongles for the MacBook Pro or any laptop with USB C will work with the iPhone but they're not dropping Lightning anytime soon for the sole reason that they make money from licensing their proprietary I/O. 

I think the joke was that it would be a special "Mini Type-C" that isn't compatible with the normal kind. See Mini-Displayport which was originally an Apple specific port that they designed, before opening it up and offering it to VESA.

Also do note that they don't need to use Lightning for their certification process. USB-C has an authentication protocol that can be used to check whether cables and adapters are certified and if not refuse to use them. The kicker here is that it doesn't *have* to specifically be USB-IF certification, so Apple could totally run a MiFi on USB-C and have their devices just refuse to use anything that isn't "Made for iPhone"/"Made for iPad".

The results shouldn't really be shocking.  Apple's sales were roughly flat because the iPhone X is great, but... it's also $999.  It was going to sell well to anyone who could swing $999 or more without much trouble, but it wasn't going to be alluring to anyone who's used to buying a phone at typical flagship prices.

My question: how does Apple deal with the iPhone lineup going forward?  We've heard the reports of Apple making a lower-cost iPhone X-alike, but it may be tough to continue offering a mid-size flagship at $999 even if it does help keep average selling prices high.  What I'd like to see Apple do is bump the mid-size down in price (say, to $899) and make $999 the cost of that rumoured 6.5-inch model.  I know inflation and other currency changes make it unlikely that high-end phones will hover around $700 forever (heck, even Samsung charged more than usual for the S8 at first), but it feels like there's a better middle ground.

Using iPhone X at the moment, hate the operating system. No file manager, can’t torrent, can’t download videos, can’t download large files, can’t ad block on Firefox or chrome, can’t download emulator, can’t tether without paying more to carrier, cant do nothing.

continuing the rant, can’t download from third party unless you install certificates from dubious Chinese sources, all third parties are low qualities apps that crash/glitch/bugged constantly, screen size is tiny apps do not use all the screen estate, iOS 12 is buggy, often Apps tell me no WiFi even though connected and back button one time literally disappear when I in the setting for no reason. Clash of clans lose sound for no reason when switch back in multitasker. Safari is a piece of junk browser, other browsers like chrome are just skin on top of it thus limiting functionality like downloading files.

Have I mention yet that downloading anything from the browser is actrcious and ends in frustration on the iOS? And so is moving files to be open between different apps? Why can’t I just have the 7zip unzip the freaking file instead of sharing this, sharing that to move files between apps and then delete this and delete that to remove duplicates? Did I mention sometimes file moving outright corrupts the thing? Eg the native browser on an app can’t play a .mv file. I had to move it to another media player app and because the file is 1gig in size, it takes freaking long time, screen then auto locks and when I unlock, the moves file is corrupted and 0mb in size. What the hell Apple? Just what the hell? Stop micromanaging everything an apps does!!!  I can’t even download a large file using a delicates downloader app on iOS for the exact same reason. How do you even download multiple files on iOS??? When you can’t even download ONE???

When can can we have kodi and emulators on the App Store which are found on android play store? Does iOS really have everything? And omg why are all apps are so expensive? Even a “file manager” which is not really a file manager because it still can’t access any files in universal storage, requires like $10 while es file explorer comes free on android and is also much superior to any paid manager on iOS. Did I mention unpaid apps are generally shit in quality? Many don’t even bother to implement hyper threading, causing entire app to freeze when decompressing a file. Goddamnit, the smelly students from the my computer science department can code a better app than this! Softwares on iOS are outright junks. More invasive ads than even android.

App Store looks like total crap too. Look more like a list on a .txt file than an actual software center.

cant customize shit. Desktop is pretty much just square icons. Widgets are more like enlarge notifications in their own separate screens. Oh, did I mention notification is actrocious as well? Why can’t we just swipe left to dismiss notifications? Bloody hell???

copy and paste is shit. It is either select one word or select the entire freaking web page. To select a desired sentence will require you to have fingers with more dexterity and flexibility than a yoga ninja. 

What else? Oh yeah, can’t super user the thing, jail breaking is like crashing system firmware constantly as oppose to android rooting which is smoothly supported. i do not even bother jail breaking even if there is a free jailbreak for iOS 12 because of god knows what will happen to my already buggy OS. Unlike android which can flash back up and flash roms, on iOS if you brick it, you are pretty much screwed thanks to the close bootloader and everything walled garden shit Apple shove at you. 

Sorry for rant, I just dislike iOS very much. I only kept my phone because it is a gift from my parents and I am too broke to purchase myself an android device. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Investors don’t care about not hitting the iPhone sales target as long as they were able to surpass the analyst predictions for revenue.

If I was a large shareholder I would be worried about the Mac. Mac sales fell as a result of the high prices for across the board for the MacBook. 

The iMac is in a decent position but they should do everything they can to be moving all Macs off the shelves. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

@wasab saving for rebuttal at a latter time

so much of what you said was so wrong and I’m on such a tight schedule I can’t repsond till later. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

@wasab saving for rebuttal at a latter time

so much of what you said was so wrong and I’m on such a tight schedule I can’t repsond till later. 

It is my experience with my iPhone X. I’ve been using it for two months. You can’t just say it’s because I don’t know how to use the phone.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

2 years here, but that's mostly because Android phones just aren't supported that long.

custom (updated) roms are helpful if they have them for your phone.

get all those new security updates most people don't get...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I have a goal to keep my iPhone X for 5 years. Wish me luck...

#1 concern is the OLED failing me around year 3.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

You can’t just say it’s because I don’t know how to use the phone.

That’s not what I’m going to be focusing one but you are a little miss-informed. 

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I have a goal to keep my iPhone X for 5 years. Wish me luck...

#1 concern is the OLED failing me around year 3.

I've not had OLED fail. My Galaxy S4 was abused in the past (not by me) but it's screen, while having some burn-in (the owner never let it turn off) looks fine. My other GS4 looks perfect, and is the exact same age. No burn-in on that one.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I've not had OLED fail. My Galaxy S4 was abused in the past (not by me) but it's screen, while having some burn-in (the owner never let it turn off) looks fine. My other GS4 looks perfect, and is the exact same age. No burn-in on that one.

you don't know how great that is to hear! haha

I'm at the point where I don't see why $1000 can't last 5 years. So that's my goal. My 6S had broke after only a year and a half when it lost it's home button... when that happened I used an old G3 for a while with a newer rom and then got the X a few months later. Figured the lack of buttons meant they probably wouldn't break LOL

I do use my phone a lot so I go through batteries every 1.5-2 years. But swapping them is pretty cheap so I just do that and get all the use I can out of the phones I have.

Already gave the G3 to my grandmother (she had some cheap little android phone with like 4GB of memory.. it was pitiful and I felt bad for her). She loves it. But now I lost my backup phone so this thing better last haha

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That’s not what I’m going to be focusing one but you are a little miss-informed. 

Go ahead, I would very much like to hear why you would think otherwise. If you can think of a way to download torrent and videos on the iOS, please tell me too. I had been trying in frustration for quite a while to torrent and download video files on the iOS.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

The results shouldn't really be shocking.  Apple's sales were roughly flat because the iPhone X is great, but... it's also $999.  It was going to sell well to anyone who could swing $999 or more without much trouble, but it wasn't going to be alluring to anyone who's used to buying a phone at typical flagship prices.

My question: how does Apple deal with the iPhone lineup going forward?  We've heard the reports of Apple making a lower-cost iPhone X-alike, but it may be tough to continue offering a mid-size flagship at $999 even if it does help keep average selling prices high.  What I'd like to see Apple do is bump the mid-size down in price (say, to $899) and make $999 the cost of that rumoured 6.5-inch model.  I know inflation and other currency changes make it unlikely that high-end phones will hover around $700 forever (heck, even Samsung charged more than usual for the S8 at first), but it feels like there's a better middle ground.

Rumors are that there will be a 5.8" OLED, 6.5" OLED, and a 6.1" LCD budget option. It's that last one that's throwing me. I'd expect the big OLED to be $1000~ (maybe less) with the smaller variant around $800 or so. 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

can’t tether without paying more to carrier, cant do nothing.

That's a carrier issue. I can use my iPhone as a hotspot for free. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

39 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Rumors are that there will be a 5.8" OLED, 6.5" OLED, and a 6.1" LCD budget option. It's that last one that's throwing me. I'd expect the big OLED to be $1000~ (maybe less) with the smaller variant around $800 or so. 

That's a carrier issue. I can use my iPhone as a hotspot for free. 

But I can tether on android by using an app from the playstore regardless if carrier allows or not. No rooting is require.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Haha, the numbers here are pretty small. A 3% rise, and a 1% drop in iPhone sales? Not that big of a deal, especially since their revenue isn't based solely on iPhone sales. They do sell other products.

8 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I know a lot of people who upgrade every year just because, even if they're not getting any new features. I don't see the point.

Resale plays a part. You'll get a lot more for your phone if you sell it a year after release than two or three.

8 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Stuck up rich people does that especially kids with parents wearing deep pockets buy new iPhones every year. 

This happened one time though, I was in a parking lot one time when I saw this girl dropping her iPhone X while taking a selfie. An all glass phone plus rough concrete floor is a bad combination for phone longevity. For whatever reason I can't help but laugh at her. :P

Hey now, it's not all stuck up rich kids :P

I get a new phone every year.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Resale plays a part. You'll get a lot more for your phone if you sell it a year after release than two or three.

But they don't get anything for the old phones. These are people who literally destroy their phones to the point of being a safety hazard, such as leaving them on top of their cars, using them in the shower, dropping them all the time at work, etc.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Stuck up rich people does that especially kids with parents wearing deep pockets buy new iPhones every year. 

This happened one time though, I was in a parking lot one time when I saw this girl dropping her iPhone X while taking a selfie. An all glass phone plus rough concrete floor is a bad combination for phone longevity. For whatever reason I can't help but laugh at her. :P

You'd think it would be common sense to get a case . . . $1000 phone . .

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

You'd think it would be common sense to get a case . . . $1000 phone . .

It doesn't always make sense to get a case. I had a 6s Plus without a case and the only reason I upgraded to the X was because I wanted something smaller. If I put a case on the X, then it's almost the same size as a 6s+ without a case thus defeating the purpose of upgrading.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

But they don't get anything for the old phones. These are people who literally destroy their phones to the point of being a safety hazard, such as leaving them on top of their cars, using them in the shower, dropping them all the time at work, etc.

Haha not always. I'm one of those people who buy a new phone every year.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It doesn't always make sense to get a case. I had a 6s Plus without a case and the only reason I upgraded to the X was because I wanted something smaller. If I put a case on the X, then it's almost the same size as a 6s+ without a case thus defeating the purpose of upgrading.

Well you are risking a lot of money! I always get a case. You could get the iPhone 8 if you wanted a smaller size tbh, if size is your only reason for upgrading - but I shouldn't judge, I'm upgrading to the X from a 7 :S