Apple sells fewer iPhones, but profits rise.

Apple sells fewer phones but profits rise
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42909989

"Chief executive Tim Cook said demand for the product, which starts at about $1,000, had surpassed expectations.

Quarterly sales at the firm climbed by 13% year-on-year to a record $88.3bn.

After an initial fall, Apple shares climbed more than 3% in after-hours trade.

Apple released the iPhone X in November, coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the device.

And while the overall number of iPhones sold in the period slipped by 1% year-on-year to 77.3 million, the iPhone X had been the top-selling Apple handset every week since its launch, Mr Cook said.

However the tech giant also issued a weaker-than-expected sales forecast for coming months, which appears to reinforce investor concerns that demand for Apple products may be dimming."

- BBC's Dave Lee reports.

It seems Apple has a clever trick up it's sleeves to increase profits with dwindling sales; increase prices drastically. However in my opinion a large sales decline was due to social media (certian Android unboxing fanboys) persueing a very bad review of the product. The iPhone X has been given a lot of bad press -  so it is very impressive to see as many units sold. Mr. Cook however, unlike his predeccessor is primarily a businessman over utilising strong quality control to gain market potential (Its no secret to many quality has decreased among Apple products - but they are still at a high standard) and it seems his large gamble with the iPhone X has paid off. Whether you like Apple or not - things are still looking good for Apple even though it has been in the press many times for unfortunate reasons.

Are there seriously that many people who buy a new iPhone every year?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It'll probably happen less now that they know what really causes their phones to feel slow after a year.  xD

I must be abnormal. I keep my phone for around 3 years. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

2 years here, but that's mostly because Android phones just aren't supported that long.

I still use a Samsung Galaxy S4 daily, and it's nearly 5 years old.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I still use a Samsung Galaxy S4 daily, and it's nearly 5 years old.

Ive had 4 phones total. Button nokia, inherited iphone 4, lumia 640 and now my huawei mate 9 pro. I kept my cheap lumia 640 for 2 years and the iphone for arounf 2 years. They all still work. So about a phone every 2-3 years is reasonable. This is my first new flagship phone. Probably a new phone in 2020. Who knows? But it seems to me apple users swap every 2 years. Not an uncommon upgrade cycle

21 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I must be abnormal. I keep my phone for around 3 years. 

I keep mine for around 3-4 years as well-though I'd still be using my 2005 Sony Ericson if its charging/data contacts hadn't corroded beyond recovery. It sounded better than my iPod Nano 4th gen-though it only supported Memory Sticks up to 2GB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ive had 4 phones total. Button nokia, inherited iphone 4, lumia 640 and now my huawei mate 9 pro. I kept my cheap lumia 640 for 2 years and the iphone for arounf 2 years. They all still work. So about a phone every 2-3 years is reasonable. This is my first new flagship phone. Probably a new phone in 2020. Who knows? But it seems to me apple users swap every 2 years. Not an uncommon upgrade cycle

I know a lot of people who upgrade every year just because, even if they're not getting any new features. I don't see the point.

45 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Stuck up rich people does that especially kids with parents wearing deep pockets buy new iPhones every year. 

This happened one time though, I was in a parking lot one time when I saw this girl dropping her iPhone X while taking a selfie. An all glass phone plus rough concrete floor is a bad combination for phone longevity. For whatever reason I can't help but laugh at her. :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I know a lot of people who upgrade every year just because, even if they're not getting any new features. I don't see the point.

i know of such a person. doesnt do it anymore, since he realized the iphone 7 was just a worse iphone 6s. though most people i know got an iphone 6. then broke it (somehow) and then bought a new iphone 6s (broke) then a new iphone 6s(fell in the toilet) and then a iphone 7.   its almost like the should get an lumia 640 with windows mobile to make the apprieciate flagship phones. dont get me wrong, the lumia is an okay phone, it just doesnt compare to flagships since i bought it for 160£ including tax on the expencive scandinavian market. (Bonus: the battery is easy to replace and may fall out if you drop the phone)

Note: the lumia still had more features than the iphone 7 . it has a headphone jack, expandable storage, replacale battery and almost same rez display. 720p vs 750p. also you dont need a cover, since its plastic. one major drawback: you could only have like 6 folders open in the browser, any overflow got deleted

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

do they trade in, or do they shell out the entire thing and "archive" the old phone?

I know people who do both.

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

i bought a Phone Every Year ( not Iphone Though) Up untill my s7 Edge  after SD820 Devices  i dont think people will keep that path its Gotten to the point upgrades barley matter for daily regular use.  SD820 835 & the Next month 845 id expect regular users to get 3-4 years without major performance issues easily.  Battery Screen and other items will probably break or dwindle to purchase a new one before it becomes too slow. Kind of how computers have been since 2010 when intel launched i3 i5 i7 series. 

I upgrade every year because that's when new Android versions come out, and they've made every phone I've used borderline unusable, without rooting and flashing an old ROM.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

How do you know they bought one the year before? ...

I have never in my life bought a new phone yet. Always used. And guess who I bought the used phones from. Right, people who had bought a new one. If there hadn't been a used one, I would have had to buy a new one. See the balance?

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Breaking news: If you charge a lot more for a product with a very slightly higher BOM cost, you'll make more profit off it!

In other news: The sky is still blue!

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

i know of such a person. doesnt do it anymore, since he realized the iphone 7 was just a worse iphone 6s. though most people i know got an iphone 6. then broke it (somehow) and then bought a new iphone 6s (broke) then a new iphone 6s(fell in the toilet) and then a iphone 7.   its almost like the should get an lumia 640 with windows mobile to make the apprieciate flagship phones. dont get me wrong, the lumia is an okay phone, it just doesnt compare to flagships since i bought it for 160£ including tax on the expencive scandinavian market. (Bonus: the battery is easy to replace and may fall out if you drop the phone)

Note: the lumia still had more features than the iphone 7 . it has a headphone jack, expandable storage, replacale battery and almost same rez display. 720p vs 750p. also you dont need a cover, since its plastic. one major drawback: you could only have like 6 folders open in the browser, any overflow got deleted

That's my old man essentially!

He's been using Windows Phones since Windows Mobile with a stylus. Since the support is now all but gone, and he was on a Lumia 540, and then 640 which started going haywire, I got him a iPhone 7.

He didn't release phones could be that good. All the apps he used are on iOS as well, even his work stuff. He won't be getting a new phone for another 3-4 years now. That's my usual upgrade cycle for myself, and family.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple sells fewer phones but profits rise
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42909989

- BBC's Dave Lee reports.

It seems Apple has a clever trick up it's sleeves to increase profits with dwindling sales; increase prices drastically. However in my opinion a large sales decline was due to social media (certian Android unboxing fanboys) persueing a very bad review of the product. The iPhone X has been given a lot of bad press -  so it is very impressive to see as many units sold. Mr. Cook however, unlike his predeccessor is primarily a businessman over utilising strong quality control to gain market potential (Its no secret to many quality has decreased among Apple products - but they are still at a high standard) and it seems his large gamble with the iPhone X has paid off. Whether you like Apple or not - things are still looking good for Apple even though it has been in the press many times for unfortunate reasons.

Whilst I am not a fan of Apple iPhones, I am a huge fan of their laptops. It's great to see that Apple is still doing well in the mobile market, competition only add's to an increase in innovation across the mobile design spectrum!

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

I always thought with all these people here at LTT see the beauty of android, apple would go bankrupt within a year. 

Oh wait. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

feel like it selling okay after all the negative press is first off alot of people are apple fan boys and alot of people are already head first into the apple ecosystem so they would need to re setup everything to begin a switch and that may be too much work for some people

But wall I probably will not buy from apple in some time because I prefer Android, Windows and spotify over the apple counterpart, favoritism just because its from _____ brand is bad because they pretty much grab you by the balls but you don't want to let go because your use to it and thats why brands know have been losing innovation.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, HunterScott said:

Whilst I am not a fan of Apple iPhones, I am a huge fan of their laptops.

I still hope that they can make their macbooks a bit thicker and gives it a bit more room to "breath".

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I still hope that they can make their macbooks a bit thicker and gives it a bit more room to "breath".

That was my initial thought when I received my new 2016 touch bar MBP last year. Luckily, I've not encountered any issues during prolonged use (fingers crossed).

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.