Windows 10 Defender will start removing shady "free PC optimizer" applications soon.

Emagherd, mAH Pryvasey is en dengaar!

error-end.jpg

Scarewares, Nobody likes em , once you get to know how the cycle works,  but to those who are just getting in to the whole Digital thing as a new thing , like old non-tech savvy folks & younger eager minded guys & gals who want to keep their pc safe by grabbing everything that offers them safety for free without cutting a hole through their pocket.  Most of the folks tend to steer clear of premium apps & software to begin with as most are based on yearly subscription & have payment & uneasy activation hurdles to go through to get a pure offered service, Many software providing sites that offer free software that does so under the guise of having the best ratings & offers sorta click baity software's that later turn into a nightmare for users.

Now Microsoft Windows Defender Research team announced that starting March Windows Defender will start removing software that has “coercive messages” or “misleading content to pressure you into paying for additional services or performing superfluous actions.”

microsoft-s-antivirus-could-get-major-ov

they grew up so fast , :') , seems just yesterday it was letting in coin miners & trojans in like old pals

From February 2016 microsoft required cleaner and optimizer programs that purport to clean up systems and optimize performance to provide customers with detailed information about what purportedly needs to be fixed. This requirement aims to protect customers from programs that present aggregate “error” results with no specific details, without providing customers with the ability to assess and validate the so-called errors.

There has been an increase in free versions of programs that purport to scan computers for various errors, and then use alarming, coercive messages to scare customers into buying a premium version of the same program. The paid version of these programs, usually called   cleaner & optimizer applications purportedly fixes the problems discovered by the free version. We find this practice problematic because it can pressure customers into making unnecessary purchase decisions.

Additional criteria that will trigger the removal include notices that the paid offer will expire in a limited time, or that no other errors (such as an antivirus program) will clean up the problems.In short, vendors that use scare tactics to get you to install, pay for, and use their system utilities will now have to be very careful about how they advertise, least Microsoft deem their products unwanted software and flag the applications for removal.In particular, Microsoft says, the rules will be aimed at killing off the dubious claims made by filesystem and Registry "cleaner" apps that try to charge users for performing routine or unnecessary tasks.

scareware.jpg

Cleaner or optimization apps are fine, as long as they explain what they're doing. But if those apps use "alarming or coercive messages or misleading content to pressure you into paying for additional services or performing superfluous actions," they'll be blocked, Microsoft says. Remember, you can run Windows Defender and a third-party antivirus app simultaneously, so each can be on duty.

For software developer who are worried about this issue & want to validate the detection of their programs can visit the Windows Defender Security Intelligence portal & upload their file for review.

it's kinda like those phony microsoft team phone calls to your doorstep, applications that offer to scan your Windows PC for free, and then conveniently claim your computer is under attack by viruses, or has serious defects, and that the only way to save your files is to fork out fifty bucks for a magic cleanup tool.

Rarely legit companies use scaretactics as marketing tool, but it has happened, Back in 2010 users of the free ZoneAlarm firewall version were presented with a pop-up "Global Virus Alert" notification about the trojan "ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq."  The scary pop-up declares that your PC may be in danger! The high risk threat states that "ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq is a new Trojan virus had been found that steals banking passwords and financial account data. Basic protection to your computer is provided by Your ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, but this new threat requires additional security."  The users were then redirected to their site to buy link for their premium software.

zonealarm-scareware-100376467-orig.gif

Unwanted behaviors: coercive messaging

Programs must not display alarming or coercive messages or misleading content to pressure you into paying for additional services or performing superfluous actions.

Software that coerces users may display the following characteristics, among others:

• Reports errors in an exaggerated or alarming manner about the user’s system and requires the user to pay for fixing the errors or issues monetarily or by performing other actions such as taking a survey, downloading a file, signing up for a newsletter, etc.
  • Suggests that no other actions will correct the reported errors or issues
  • Requires the user to act within a limited period of time to get the purported issue resolved

Blog post was made by Barak Shein from Windows Defender Security Research team , So what are your thoughts on this?  pretty bold move if you ask me but it could hinder legit software marketing that offer true protection which Microsoft might play a bias onto & ignore it because of that, but it's a welcoming sight to see the basic offered protection from within can carryout this important task to those who don't rely on a third party application to do so. please post Your thoughts & comments down below.

Sources :

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/30/protecting-customers-from-being-intimidated-into-making-an-unnecessary-purchase/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252337/windows/microsofts-windows-defender-antimalware-targets-scareware-apps.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16963720/microsoft-windows-10-windows-defender-antivirus-scareware-cleaner-removal

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/31/microsoft_windows_defender_scareware/

Complimentary meme:

scare-ware-horror_o_6402749.jpg

@GoodBytes :ph34r:#Microsoft

Details separate people.

Does this include the prompt that tells you to use edge because it's x% faster than your current browser?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Does this include the prompt that tells you to use edge because it's x% faster than your current browser?

Disable notification center? it is what I did, not like I needed it back on win7 why should I need it on win 10 :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Grrrreaaat now Windows 10 will dictate what I can and cannot run! More reason I want to return to Windows XP.

What happens if I like the program that it wants to remove?

Personally, I enjoy PC Repire Pro Hunter XP Optimizer. I scan, it tells me all the viruses and issues I haves with my PC, I pay the 300 or something dollar after each scan, and it fixes my problem. I don't need to take my computer to GeekSquad and be told by these money grabbing scammers "Oh sir, we need to re-install everything, your computer takes 5h to boot, and one of the fan is barely spinning on your UCP or whatever, and bla bla bla". Gaawdd....it just never ends with them.

My computer works, the software works, what I do is correct, clearly, and I enjoy the best possible computer experience.

Now, they'll start removing programs, like they removed IE, and now I can't enjoy my tool bars anymore.

pOAAU.jpg

Ahh those were the good old days! You have everything in front of you....

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-good ol' snipperoni-

Your toolbars to webpage ratio should be like 80 to 20 tbh, otherwise what are you even doing?!?!?!?!

/s

I am glad Microsoft is doing this. Even though these things pop up everywhere they are still a huge thing. People are just putting themselves in danger by downloading this ambiguous software.

All the power to the people to ignore these warnings I think though.. that is the only thing that bothers me about this article/news, it seems like Microsoft will actively ban this software.. they should just have a pop up saying "heyyyy we don't trust this, still wanna run it?" And it's fine. These programs on their own store is a different story, because it's their store.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Unless you use Quantum it probably is. Chrome is a dog now.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You forgot the AOL toolbar xD

41 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

So what are your thoughts on this?  pretty bold move if you ask me but it could hinder legit software marketing

It's nice move and frankly should've included from the beginning of Windows 10 but at least people will finally get protected from these. Though Microsoft should probably fix the UI of Windows Defender. The unused empty space is wasteful of screen real estate when they combine everything when the windows is maximized to reduce scrolling on mobile devices.

5a7451670d961_Screenshot(546).png.6aae56431dc6e31dfb3850014a90017e.png5a7451692a491_Screenshot(548).png.03fca58ee9c7c79af3ce3b3818c22483.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Person 1: What are you doing?

Person 2: I am installing all these free programs.

Person 1: What for?

Person 2: To make sure my computer doesn't have a whole lot of unnecessary stuff on it.

Person 1:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

41 minutes ago, Minibois said:

All the power to the people to ignore these warnings I think though.. that is the only thing that bothers me about this article/news, it seems like Microsoft will actively ban this software.. they should just have a pop up saying "heyyyy we don't trust this, still wanna run it?" And it's fine. 

Well, it's what antivirus software is for: removing malicious software and preventing its installation. If you think something is a false positive, you can whitelist it, and if you want to experiment with potentially malicious software or just not have any screening at all, you can just disable the AV. If Windows Defender in particular is not as versatile as it could, you can always replace it with third party AV software that is.

The whole idea of AVs requiring come action in order to run software identified as threats is that you can always get things your way if you know what your doing, but the average user (and the one most likely to fall for "optimizers") is unlikely to go against the AV advice (just ignoring it, rather than having to act against it, is a bit more risky in that sense).

In other words its going to start catching stuff other antivirus suites have been getting for years....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Now, they'll start removing programs, like they removed IE, and now I can't enjoy my tool bars anymore

I know right? What will I ever do without my Bad Ass Mafia Toolbar! Or Softonic's Video Toot-ur-uhls.

This reminds me viruses download.com which is powered by tech news CNET, a sister company of CBS Interactive

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Well, for those that are just adverts spam and do like a scan without any fix but ask you to buy etc should get removed. Screw that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm guessing no one read the sources.   Legitimate program developers can contact the defender intelligence portal and have their software validated so it is not removed automatically.

I love this.  All OS's need to have something like this in place.   Even if it isn't perfect it is still better than nothing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Cool so unless youre on the whitelist youre just automatically removed? So if im an app developer working on something, i have to spend extra time and deal with microsoft support. Which is absolutely awful and will likely take extra time?

Screw off, if youre dumb enough to install this shit on your computer youre dumb enough to put viruses on your system in other ways. This is just another step towards a walled garden where you can only install things that come from the windows store. Scaring people with the idea of viruses or malicious programs, and telling you that MICROSOFT DEFENDER will be there to protect you from the big bad evil!

BUT THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

What? No IO Bits?! Le fuck?... I mean, it's cool that these things have little handy remote desktop accessable problems right?

This is great... My time as a repair tech showed me the crap like this that people install... Along with Trojans and other goodies. Glad this is happening. It shouldn't affect the techies, but should definitely help the sheople.. YES, I'm talking to you mr?/ms I called 1 800 Microsoft, what's wrong with that?

Gahh... Now someone is going to scam Mac. Sell them a "Windows Defender" to do the same thing.

42 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Cool so unless youre on the whitelist youre just automatically removed? So if im an app developer working on something, i have to spend extra time and deal with microsoft support. Which is absolutely awful and will likely take extra time?

Yes, if you are an app developer working on malware, you have to indeed.

10 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

You forgot the AOL toolbar xD

Lol the AOL installation disk was the very first CD I held in my hands as a kid. Must have been 6-7 years old. The memories

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

Screw off, if youre dumb enough to install this shit on your computer youre dumb enough to put viruses on your system in other ways. This is just another step towards a walled garden where you can only install things that come from the windows store. Scaring people with the idea of viruses or malicious programs, and telling you that MICROSOFT DEFENDER will be there to protect you from the big bad evil!

BUT THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!

Don't blame average people for being legitimately fooled by malware developers, don't even blame MS or anyone who is trying to do something about it, blame the pricks that write the malware in the first place causing all this to be an issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Don't blame average people for being legitimately fooled by malware developers, don't even blame MS or anyone who is trying to do something about it, blame the pricks that write the malware in the first place causing all this to be an issue.

this.

Details separate people.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Grrrreaaat now Windows 10 will dictate what I can and cannot run! More reason I want to return to Windows XP.

Personally, I enjoy PC Repire Pro Hunter XP Optimizer. I scan, it tells me all the viruses and issues I haves with my PC, I pay the 300 or something dollar after each scan, and it fixes my problem. I don't need to take my computer to GeekSquad and be told by these money grabbing scammers "Oh sir, we need to re-install everything, your computer takes 5h to boot, and one of the fan is barely spinning on your UCP or whatever, and bla bla bla". Gaawdd....it just never ends with them.

My computer works, the software works, what I do is correct, clearly, and I enjoy the best possible computer experience.

Now, they'll start removing programs, like they removed IE, and now I can't enjoy my tool bars anymore.

Back at my staples days I think the record for the most toolbars was 6 or 8. Good times.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What's that big blue tool bar at the bottom, it looks the most fucking useless of all of them!!!    :P

3 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

No. If you are concerned that your program might make the list, you can send it.

Your program won't be blocked, anymore than Windows Smart Screen if itsn't digitally signed or not popular enough

I love the way these programs say there are about 8000 errors even if you just did a fresh install lol

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

Exactly. Don't you people have parents/grandparents surfing the internets?