Used CPU for Gaming

Go to solution Solved by 1234vietnam,
1 minute ago, Haden overlord said:

ddr4 caused me to cancel my last build for my cousins birthday she was so disappointed in me. 

not exactly the greatest reason to give up performance :L

What type of Oc can u get on 4790k and what is its core count.

you could've googled it.

its a 4 core, 8 thread cpu. you can probably get 4.5ghz or more somewhat easily with a decent cooler

Ok umm what other things should i take into consideration.

Besides cores, architecture.  I'd argue that architecture is the most important of the three.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Besides cores, architecture.  I'd argue that architecture is the most important of the three.

Yes.

High end LGA 771 chips are maybe around i5-2300 levels of performance in single thread.  They are not going to blow the doors off of anything in single threaded workloads.  In things like Cinebench they perform more like an i7 2700k/3770k.

Some newer games that like lots of threads run somewhere between the two.  Older or ST limited games perform more like the i5-2300.

the 771 setup is budget af, but even after a heavy oc would bottleneck anything over a 1050ti, recommending somemthing that old is terrible when the budget allows for newer much superior hardware

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Hmm ok so im assuming newer architecture wpuld be better due to them bieng more efficient and optimized.

Yes, it is budget AF.

Thought he was talking about 400-500 total budget, not CPU budget.  My bad.

With a $500 budget, go X79.  Maybe find a unlocked 8 core Xeon.

3 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

the 771 setup is budget af, but even after a heavy oc would bottleneck anything over a 1050ti, recommending somemthing that old is terrible when the budget allows for newer much superior hardware

Anything newer any ideas on i5 2500k? 

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yes.

High end LGA 771 chips are maybe around i5-2300 levels of performance in single thread.  They are not going to blow the doors off of anything in single threaded workloads.  In things like Cinebench they perform more like an i7 2700k/3770k.

Some newer games that like lots of threads run somewhere between the two.  Older or ST limited games perform more like the i5-2300.

both untrue, 771 chips perform like core 2 quads, the jump to Sandy bridge from a Harpertown xeon is night and day, sandy was a massive jump

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Yes, it is budget AF.

Thought he was talking about 400-500 total budget, not CPU budget.  My bad.

With a $500 budget, go X79.  Maybe find a unlocked 8 core Xeon.

No you are rigth 400 is total budget for cpu mobo and ram i already have a 1060 and 1070 for gpu.

X79 + i7-4930K

Hmm.. okany other recommendations.

Looks like it may be unlocked.

I have not personally used any in a board that supports overclocking.

From experience, even if its locked, you should at least be able to lock it at 4ghz.

Looks like it may be unlocked.

I have not personally used any in a board that supports overclocking.

From experience, even if its locked, you should at least be able to lock it at 4ghz.

Anything that supports overclocking so that I can squeeze out some extra performance.

Ive see a few builds with them, they do work.  Not 100% sure if its the right vendor, but with a little bit of time/effort bogus boards or DOA's can be refunded.  If the seller wont, paypal will.

Pay attention to seller ratings in addition to how long they have been around.  That vendor sells ~1 item a day, has been a member since 2012, and has good feedback.  You don't remain an e-bay seller/member for ~5 years by selling bogus parts.

The full ATX board seller is definitely much more sketch.

The better vendor does have the larger board though, LINK.

Seller has shots of the boards working.

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Ive see a few builds with them, they do work.  Not 100% sure if its the right vendor, but with a little bit of time/effort bogus boards or DOA's can be refunded.  If the seller wont, paypal will.

Pay attention to seller ratings in addition to how long they have been around.  That vendor sells ~1 item a day, has been a member since 2012, and has good feedback.  You don't remain an e-bay seller/member for ~5 years by selling bogus parts.

The full ATX board seller is definitely much more sketch.

The better vendor does have the larger board though, LINK.

Seller has shots of the boards working.

Hmm see i want boards that people know work i find the rma process a hassle and quite annoying. Any other sugfestions of cpus and motherboard s that go with them that i should look into.

For older motherboards like x79, there is nothing new outside of the Chinese boards AFAIK.  The other option is a used board which is even more of an unknown unless you see the board in person.