Used CPU for Gaming

Go to solution Solved by 1234vietnam,
1 minute ago, Haden overlord said:

ddr4 caused me to cancel my last build for my cousins birthday she was so disappointed in me. 

not exactly the greatest reason to give up performance :L

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new system but am on a budget and can't afford ddr4 so I'm thinking about buying used CPU's that use ddr3 and are overclockable any recommendation I need CPU, general stable overclock on all CPU's, motherboard type (z68,x79...) and ram channel. 

Thanks.

You say you're on a budget. What is your budget?

We can't recommend something on a budget if we have no idea what you consider a budget.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, Haden overlord said:

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new system but am on a budget and can't afford ddr4 so I'm thinking about buying used CPU's that use ddr3 and are overclockable any recommendation I need CPU, general stable overclock on all CPU's, motherboard type (z68,x79...) and ram channel. 

Thanks.

x58 xeon is really cheap, you can get 6c 12t @ 4.5 ghz out of a $50 cpu 

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

You say you're on a budget. What is your budget?

We can't recommend something on a budget if we have no idea what you consider a budget.

My budget is around $400-$450 usd for cpu, motherboard and ram.

Just now, Prqnk3d said:

x58 xeon is really cheap, you can get 6c 12t @ 4.5 ghz out of a $50 cpu 

What cpu exactly pls.

2 minutes ago, Prqnk3d said:

xeon x5650, x5660, x5680, x5690

can all hit 4.5 GHz and what core counts are those, and what ram channel are they ( double,  triple, quad) and pricing and links to them pls.

2 minutes ago, Haden overlord said:

can all hit 4.5 ghz and what core counts are those, and what ram channel are they ( double,  triple, quad)

you can usually get to around 4.5ghz on air. they are all 6 cores. triple channel

EDIT: there's a thread on it https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/842134-general-x58-xeoni7-discussion/

I want to stay away from ddr4 and my budget isn't 500 it's more like 350-400

you could also get a 4790k, z97 board and 16gb ddr3 for about 350-400

what did ddr4 do to you?

If you want TONS of ram for cheap and can deal with slow per-core (FX level single thread) CPU's, get an old dual LGA 771 rig that uses FB-DIMMS.

Got 32gb of ram for one and paid less than ~$60 for the ram.

The CPU's are ~$30 each for some of the top tier ones.

A basic workstation with case, motherboard, CPU's, coolers, and ~800w PSU can be had for ~$200 if you can find one.

These rigs use dual quadcore CPUs, and clocks are around 3 GHZ.

HP XW8600's are a good model to start with.

Just now, Prqnk3d said:

what did ddr4 do to you?

ddr4 caused me to cancel my last build for my cousins birthday she was so disappointed in me. 

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

If you want TONS of ram for cheap and can deal with slow per-core (FX level single thread) CPU's, get an old LGA 771 rig that uses FB-DIMMS.

Got 32gb of ram for one and paid less than ~$60 for the ram.

The CPU's are ~$30 each for some of the top tier ones.

A basic workstation with case, motherboard, CPU's, coolers, and ~800w PSU can be had for ~$200 if you can find one.

HP XW8600's are a good model to start with.

I don't want to go too far back as I want to game so at least 4 cores and ddr3 that does minimum 3.6 GHz OC.

Just now, Prqnk3d said:

true.

The 771 systems can play pretty much anything modern, just try to get the x5470 3.33ghz chips for them.

They make a decent match for a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti, though in some CPU heavy games they will hold the GPU back.

Ive put together a few of them with GTX 960's/R9 380's for friends and family and they have been pretty rock solid except the one that got hit by lightning.

Do note however, that these are builds specifically targeting CHEAP reliable computers.  ~$300 for a decent however unexciting case, Delta sourced 800+ watt PSU, okish ST performance and i7-2700/3770 MT performance.  If you are lucky and find a workstation cheap enough, that $300 can include the GPU.

10 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The 771 systems can play pretty much anything modern, just try to get the x5470 3.33ghz chips for them.

They make a decent match for a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti, though in some CPU heavy games they will hold the GPU back.

Ive put together a few of them with GTX 960's/R9 380's for friends and family and they have been pretty rock solid except the one that got hit by lightning.

how did it get hit by lightning and what oc can u get on them and what is core count pls.

how did it get hit by lightning and what oc can u get on them and what is core count pls.

You're putting too much emphasis on frequency.  There is a lot more to gaming performance.  A 3GHz quad core CPU can wipe out a 4GHz quad core.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, Prqnk3d said:

what did ddr4 do to you?

What type of Oc can u get on 4790k and what is its core count.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

You're putting too much emphasis on frequency.  There is a lot more to gaming performance.  A 3GHz quad core CPU can wipe out a 4GHz quad core.

Ok umm what other things should i take into consideration.

Guy had a HAM setup near the PC and the building+antenna got a direct hit.

Unfortunately, overclocking them is out of the question unless you can find a skull trail motherboard at a reasonable price.  If you can find one you can get ~4ghz.

Dual quad core, so 8 cores total.

ST performance is like FX, so they will perform like a FX 8300 @ stock.  So they can game, but high refresh rate gaming isnt going to happen.  FO4 on a 3ghz 771 build was getting 30-60 FPS with a GTX 670 4gb.  Ghost Recon Wildlands was getting 30-60 on the same setup, though I did not get to play it much myself.