My 10 Year Old Chiller WORKS! -20C on THREADRIPPER!

is my laptop just failing to decode at all or are you going back to filming at like 20fps and extrapolating to 30fps..

not dropping any frames..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Ok @LinusTech Take it the next Step

Make a Chillbox, basically i.e taking that and making a Sub-Zero box that is air tight, and Chilling the box using a radiator and fan inside the box.

GPU and CPU can be cooled via Air or via the loop, or via a dual loop.

This is a solution that is 24/7 viable and removes condensation from the equation, as the condensation will just freeze to the radiator in the box when its present.

18 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

Ok @LinusTech Take it the next Step

Make a Chillbox, basically i.e taking that and making a Sub-Zero box that is air tight, and Chilling the box using a radiator and fan inside the box.

GPU and CPU can be cooled via Air or via the loop, or via a dual loop.

This is a solution that is 24/7 viable and removes condensation from the equation, as the condensation will just freeze to the radiator in the box when its present.

that would be awesome to see.

so when the simulated threadripper 2 video coming out using the chiller to clock that 1950X to 4.5ghz?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Speaking from experience: just don't do this.  There's no upsides and all downsides.  OK cool sweet you're running 40 degrees below ambient, guess what...you're not going to be able to get any significantly higher overclock because of it and now you have to ruin hardware to control condensation.  LN2 and shit works because you're down at temperatures where the conductivity of the silicon is affected enabling higher clockrates.  It's not just about controlling heat and slamming in high voltage.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Why did he use Rain-X windshield washer fluid for the coolant???  That stuff has no thermal properties what so ever.  Its either slightly worst or slightly better than water but no difference.  Oh that is just pink coolant you say?  No its not, Rain-X doesn't even make pink coolant at all.  Check their website.

16 minutes ago, akrazyassho said:

Why did he use Rain-X windshield washer fluid for the coolant???  That stuff has no thermal properties what so ever.  Its either slightly worst or slightly better than water but no difference.  Oh that is just pink coolant you say?  No its not, Rain-X doesn't even make pink coolant at all.  Check their website.

He wanted to make sure it didn't freeze, yeah?  It says "Effective to -25° F" (-32°C).  

https://www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/

6 minutes ago, JCHelios said:

He wanted to make sure it didn't freeze, yeah?  It says "Effective to -25° F" (-32°C).  

https://www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/

Yeah it is but that is so that it doesn't freeze in your car so you can use it when conditions fall to around those temps.  Frozen washer fuild is an issue w/ snow and ice especially when you have dirty snow being kicked up by cars in front of you.  Also washer fluid is effective at aiding in clearing up ice on the windshield.  Again, zero thermal properties as far as transferring heat.

On 01/02/2018 at 7:39 PM, nicklmg said:

Thanks to ASUS ROG & AMD for sponsoring this video!

Buy ASUS ROG Zenith motherboard on Amazon: http://geni.us/4XLnH0G

Buy AMD Ryzen Threadripper on Amazon: http://geni.us/W5qb

You had a nice system Linus!!!

Check my system in the link bellow from 2005, I had my system running 24/7 without any problem ;) and still attend to some lan partys :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gFt7cuA3JR72OEJb0-o9CBaFyM1DXD0q

19.jpg

23 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks to ASUS ROG & AMD for sponsoring this video!

Buy ASUS ROG Zenith motherboard on Amazon: http://geni.us/4XLnH0G

Buy AMD Ryzen Threadripper on Amazon: http://geni.us/W5qb

you ca do better!

Hellowa Linus Tech,

I am Arjen van Krimpen, 39 years old and from the Netherlands.

You know I have been working in IT sins 15, have seen all hardware you can think of.
Now at this time I am an desktop support agent in Amsterdam.

I know you love cooling computers in all ways possible ? and you love the fridge and oil pc's.

Me to! But i have been working on a plan for years in my head, paper and testing stuff to make the combination of frige and oil possible.
9 years ago, I was starting to bild it, but things in my life moved an other way and needed to put my plan on ice. ( corny but true)
Now last year got more time to think it over and seeing your YouTube channel inspired me. It is a shame if my plan is never gonna see day light. Or if someone else walking away with it.
What I am missing is the hardware and some of the skills to set it up. But maybe it is something you like to do for your channel as a project. 

Bilding a computer under -0C in oil. All parts oil cooled and still being able to look at it from the outside of the case . Water is always an issue when going colder. But if all the parts are in oil stuff that does not let water have a chance?  No condensation... No freezing over... No dead hardware, but extremely cool and good looking?

I found oil that works fine when under 0 and the new mini mother boards make it easier to create it then when I was Bilding. So making oil computer in RGB ? under extreme cooling. Overclocking haven? I tested the oil in minus 9c and it still looked like water. We can go colder. Like used at -45 in Siberia. Using vacuum for the case. There is more to it!? Yes there is. 

If I spiked your interested, we can have a talk and I tell you more about the plan and how it could work.
let me know!
 having very nice thoughts for design... Like on you desk .... Or behind you screen. Like the movie the cube...

Kind Regards,
Arjen van Krimpen

Been waiting for this vid to hit youtube for a while :P

Was interested on how well ur setup worked since im close to starting my own sub zero liquid chiller bassed build, though with much more attention to detail for asthetics.

-20c liquid temps is actualy really good for your rather, ghetto, setup.

Personaly ill be aiming as low as -40c, possibly lower, will depend on if i go the AC modding route (hard since window AC's not available in the UK) or a completly custom built refrigeration system with a Plate heat exchanger for maximum efficency.

Ether way, finding video's on these setups is rather hard, not many of them, so was great to see yours in action. :D

Only things i will say, is with a chiller system like that, one of the downside you mentioned, (noise), is irrelivant as you can place the chiller in another room away from the PC and pipe to coolant to the PC.

Also, for insulating the motherboard and such:

Liquid Electrical tape is cheap, but it looks like crap. try Dragon Skin Conformal coating.

Still use dielectric grease in the socket, thats always needed otherwise ull get pin rot.

As for the tubing, the block, and the amount of insulation you used, this can all be draticaly reduced or even removed if you build the system in a sealed case which is ether, filled with a dry gas, or dried air (like from a compressor), or a chill box which bassicaly the same but you just add a radiator into the loop and have fans cirulating air inside the case, lowering ambient temps and removing moisture form the air.

Im personaly going the sealed case and replacing the air inside with a dry gas, that way i can drasticaly reduce the amount of insulation and condensation protection i need. Just grease in the socket, dragonskin around the socket, and a single layer of thin insulation ontop, nothing on the blocks or tubing.

Anyhoo, great vid :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 4 weeks later...

Look this mini split from monoprice would do way better you could just stick compatible quick disconnects directly on the cpu block because the expansion valve, brains etc. should be in the condenser unit. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27953&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lsLmPlNZ0FDhdnvwE7F6W3ND9_N0vGDRnEIBQ8_RyaDSDJCqey2xORoCoVYQAvD_BwE

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda wanna know how to build this, please do a DIY on this sort of cooling method