mechanical keyboard... is it worth it?

Pachuca

hi, I've been considering replacing my Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard for a mechanical keyboard,  but they are all very expensive. I would like to know if these keyboards are generally quieter than the conventional keyboards. What benifits are there to mechanical keyboards? Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality keyboard that's on the quiet side. I game a lot and when I'm slamming those keys it makes a lot of noise. I get annoyed by it and it's the main reason why I'm thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard. 

I suggest go to a local store and test each keyboard switch and see how they feel. MX Brown is on the quieter side.

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Quick warning, most mechanical keyboards are loud AF- it's part of the appeal.  

Any keyboard with Cherry mx silent or omron romer g (there ae some chep ones, logitech only) will be as quiet as it gets.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

You won't find one off the shelf that is quieter than your membrane keyboard. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

34 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

hi, I've been considering replacing my Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard for a mechanical keyboard,  but they are all very expensive. I would like to know if these keyboards are generally quieter than the conventional keyboards. What benifits are there to mechanical keyboards? Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality keyboard that's on the quiet side. I game a lot and when I'm slamming those keys it makes a lot of noise. I get annoyed by it and it's the main reason why I'm thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard. 

Okay, so to begin with, all keyboards can be loud if you bottom out the keys, especially if you do it forcefully. Mechanical keyboards have the advantage of not having to be bottomed out. Liner switches are smooth and are almost always quieter then their tactile counterparts. The downside is it may be harder for you to start getting a feel for where the actuation point is on a liner switch and training yourself to only press the key that far down. Tactile switches like Cherry MX Browns have the benefit of a tactile bump, so you can feel where it is actuating, helping give you a way to learn that point to stop pressing, and they are relatively quiet.

Another edge that mechanical keyboards have over membrane is longevity. The "switches" on a typical membrane keyboard is ~5 million actuations. For Mechanical, it's between 50 million and 70 million(usually the prior). So, while you may only spend $20 on a regular keyboard, and spend 5x more on a mechanical keyboard (this is assuming it's $100, there are plenty that are more, and many that are less), the mechanical keyboard may last you 10x longer.

53 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I'd recommend the try before you buy method; if you're typing for long periods of time i'd say yes as you'll get less finger fatigue, there is also something satisfying about the feel and sound of a mechanical keyboard

Gaming id say it's helpful but not a must have

If you're an average everyday user then it's not worth the large initial cost

46 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Quick warning, most mechanical keyboards are loud AF- it's part of the appeal.  

Any keyboard with Cherry mx silent or omron romer g (there ae some chep ones, logitech only) will be as quiet as it gets.

MX Speeds aren't that loud it's only loud if you bottom out the keys (which i'm still doing)

12 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

MX Speeds aren't that loud it's only loud if you bottom out the keys (which i'm still doing)

Same with reds and any other non linear switch

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Switch won't really matter too much if you hit keys hard and bottom out consistently. The pitch of each type of switch will be different, but any keyboard will produce noise.

It's best to go to a store that displays some various boards to get an idea of the sound you'd be producing when playing so you're not annoyed. I always bottom out and don't really have a problem with any of the sounds, no matter what switch it is.

Outside of a typical mechanical board with MX switches, the only other quiet keyboard I know of, is a Matias Quiet Pro. They have a sound sample on their website you can listen to.

I would go Omrons from Logitech they are kinda mushy like membranes but are quiet, have rgb and you can still type really fast due to there low actuation weight and distance there personally my favorite Meca Switch 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

If you are testing a keyboard, and you need it to perform certain key combinations, you can go  here to see if it will register them correctly.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

thanks for the input everyone. I forgot to mention that I purchased a coolermaster mechanical keyboard on sale for like $20, but it's for a pc I rarely use. I liked the feel of the thing and was hoping there are quiet version out there that don't require training (@BluJay614) and I guess I'll have to shop around and see what fits me best. I like the ergonomic because it's more comfortable for me to type, but it sucks for gaming lol. 

22 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I've recently moved across from membrane keyboards and I love mechanical keyboards now. It's mostly the 'click, click' that I enjoy - it's incredibly satisfying. 

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.