Looking to revive old GeForce GTX 440

Xander Cousins

So I got a new card from a friend Radeon R9 200 series due to my old one the GTX440 acting up. 

Soooo what was wrong with the GTX440 was it was having issues with display errors. it would constantly flicker in and out saying the display drivers have crashed and successfully recovered. This all started to go like this when I updated my PC to Windows 10 Insider Program (Before official release of the consumer grade) and assumed it was conflicting with that. Rolled back to windows 8.1 but the problem still occurred and involved me limiting he amount the GPU could use via Afterburner, the problem came back and well I ended up benching it for a while. 

So the reason I bring this up is my bro has decided to get into this expensive hobby of Rig upgrading (Newbie at it) and the prebuild he purchased GPU (integrated I think) is horrible it can't run a simple game like GMod while his Laptop at the similar price range can. 

So I wanted to see if I could get this GPU working or at least stable for when he goes to use it...

I Personally think the GPU gave up the ghost as it was a fairly old card but wanted to see if their was a way to revive it or bring it back to an acceptable level of running.

Thank you for any responses in advance :) 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

@Megah3rtz Kinda why I want to revive it hopefully

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

That's a lost cause I think. If your GPU keeps recovering is a sign of it dying. What is the interval on crashes?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

6 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

That's a lost cause I think. If your GPU keeps recovering is a sign of it dying. What is the interval on crashes?

From what I could recall it was pretty random. Some times it would work for hrs with no issue then crash a couple time the ncome back and be fine. It was it's worse when playing games as it would Crash, say it had recovered and the screen would look fragmented to hell and in-usable

I Kinda had a feeling it was dying but i'm sort of hopping on the fact that I could possibly revive it to some extent.

3 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

From what I could recall it was pretty random. Some times it would work for hrs with no issue then crash a couple time the ncome back and be fine. It was it's worse when playing games as it would Crash, say it had recovered and the screen would look fragmented to hell and in-usable

Yeah that seems to be the symptoms of a GPU hanging on for dear life. Had this one time. A HD 7850 would just randomly every now and then crash the video drivers and recover which went fine for me for about 1 month before it would just plain black screen and later even artifact to hell straight on startup.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

@Arcanekitten Well nay troubleshooting methods in general that help GPU's. This card has been left benched for nearly a year now soooo may not even operate properly