Good headphones for $150 or less?

Cookiecrumbles222

Hey guys I'm looking for a good pair of closed ear, noise isolating, over the ear headphones (wired). Big emphasis (big muffs are nice I have large ears and don't want the pad to touch them) on comfort and I want the sound to put more of a focus on the low end (bass) I currently have sph9500 and love them but they lack low end so I want headphone that will contrast them nicely. I was thinking about getting the senhizer hd 598 cs but I heard the low end is lacking and I was referred to them a long time ago. Thank you for any suggestions!

NVX XPT 100's you can find for under $100 usually. They're Brainwavez HM5's so they have really really good pads imo. Closed back, easy to drive, but they look like helicopter headsets to me. 

Edit: Please forgive all my editing, i am very tired :/

Sennheiser HD598's are the best headphones I've heard in the <$200 range.  There's an open airy atmospheric live-stage like quality to them that just puts them ahead of most headphones.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

Sennheiser HD598's are the best headphones I've heard in the <$200 range.  There's an open airy atmospheric live-stage like quality to them that just doesn't compare with most headphones out there.

Yeah they are great but he's looking for closed back heaphones

ath-m50x are good

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, minervx said:

ath-m50x are good

I think now most people kind of agree, the m50x's aren't nearly as good for the money as the M40x's who are more neutral and a fair bit cheaper

ive yet to use a bad product from ATH.  im sure those will be good.

4 minutes ago, dannolt said:

Yeah they are great but he's looking for closed back heaphones

There are a hd 598 cs model that are closed ear should I just go with those?

1 minute ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

There are a hd 598 cs model that are closed ear should I just go with those?

If you are similar with the Sennheiser sound and like it then by all means get the cs's I personally don't like the way Sennheisers feel on my head and the sound has always been kinda meh for me, at least with the 6xx's and the jubilee's that came on masdrop recently 

Just get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and you're basically all set. Slightly over the budget but it's worth getting the headphone 100%

8 hours ago, dannolt said:

Hmm closed back and good lows don't work very well.

No. Closed back generally has better lows than open.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

8 hours ago, minervx said:

ath-m50x are good

if they were 60ish

8 hours ago, bomberblyat said:

m40x or m50x from audio technica

40's yes, 50 not overpriced

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

Just get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and you're basically all set. Slightly over the budget but it's worth getting the headphone 100%

great headphones have these in my collection

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

I hope you are joking....

agreed

9 hours ago, 91wow said:

NVX XPT 100's you can find for under $100 usually. They're Brainwavez HM5's so they have really really good pads imo. Closed back, easy to drive, but they look like helicopter headsets to me. 

Edit: Please forgive all my editing, i am very tired :/

I hve nvx xpt 100s also pillows on your ears neutral sound great positional for closed

fischer fa-003 clones

some say brainwaves have tighter headband, havent tried them though

i think the m50x's succeeded in offering a better alternative to beats by dre, for overall portability and general use as a consumer product, but they're not the best headphones sonically.

2 minutes ago, minervx said:

i think the m50x's succeeded in offering a better alternative to beats by dre, for overall portability and general use as a consumer product, but they're not the best headphones sonically.

They are good headphones, but not at the current price. If its around $100 or less, then it will be a great headphone imo. The pricing is why people despise it. DT770 does a better job at the same or sometimes lower price but minus they are not as portable as the m50x.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

11 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

They are good headphones, but not at the current price. If its around $100 or less, then it will be a great headphone imo. The pricing is why people despise it. DT770 does a better job at the same or sometimes lower price but minus they are not as portable as the m50x.

Frankly if you want something compact to be used around might as well get an IEM. IEM performs just as good as portable headphones for the same price

1 minute ago, xtroria said:

Frankly if you want something compact to be used around might as well get an IEM. IEM performs just as good as portable headphones for the same price

Agreed. That's why i have my RHA for a reason :D

But some people dislike IEM, so sometimes a portable headphone can be a deciding factor for their purchase..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Seriously take a look at Brainwaves Hm5 or NVX XPT 100's they are a solid sub 100$ headphone not insane bass but its clear and present.  They have HUGE pads that are really comfy and I find I put them on my head more than my HD 558 which are basically 598's.   The sound isolation is also great I have used them on airplanes to watch in flight movies etc.