All around headphone needed for the PC

Carde

Short story first: I have the Sennheiser G4ME one headset, but I got a cheapo condenser mic tiny on an arm which does the mic job better so the mic is never used. With that in mind I been looking for some headphones to get better quality and ditch the headset and I managed to pick up a barely used pair of Sennheiser RS220s which sound already a lot better than the headset, but I live in an apartment building and the 2.4Ghz band is just swamped with signals. Result is the RS220s drop their signal quite frequently making them unusable to me and well that means I need something else and with a wire this time ;)

Now I am quite the fan of sennheiser as can be seen with my PC stuff, but also for my phone I rock a momentum pair of theirs. Still I am more than open to other brands.

Now as far as use goes it is anything from gaming, movies to music. As for the music I have a wide range of taste, (classical, some metal stuff, lots of classic rock and some trance and random other stuff I enjoy).

I would not call myself an audiophile I just enjoy a good quality in most things I do, they would likely be driven just off the MB audio (Crosshair VI hero from Asus) cause any additional would have to come out of my 300 to really a max of 400 eur budget.

Any help is kindly appreciated.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Perhaps you can try out the Sennheiser HD 58X jubilee if you're on a budget. It can be found on massdrop. 

If you're not on a budget, try out Sennheiser HD 6xx. I'm currently using that with an Antlion Modmic 4.0 and it sounds absolutely nothing short of amazing :) This is better in terms of details and slightly better with bass. The soundstage is smaller than the HD598. 

If you like classicals and aren't into bass as much, Sennheiser HD598 or HD599. 

Mass drop is not an option the import fees and taxes kill any deal on there for me.

I been looking at the 600-650, but I fear I might not be able to drive them well enough from my MB.

1 minute ago, Carde said:

Mass drop is not an option the import fees and taxes kill any deal on there for me.

I been looking at the 600-650, but I fear I might not be able to drive them well enough from my MB.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/headphones/overall-list/#m=356,300,355,238,303,308,365,263&v=0&w=0&X=0,29856&R=5,4&O=8000,50000

I would think about getting a dedicated set of headphones (I'm personally partial to AKG) and a dedicated mic, probably something from Blue, like a Snow Ball or a Yeti.

Here's a bargain that's hard to pass Sony MDR1A:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00N3WWG4U/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1517443622&sr=8-20&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=focal&dpPl=1&dpID=410XEM4HH8L&ref=plSrch

These are a great all-rounder headphone you can use everywhere. Then just buy an external mic for your PC. I personally just use the one on my webcam. It work good enough. 

5 hours ago, Carde said:

Short story first: I have the Sennheiser G4ME one headset, but I got a cheapo condenser mic tiny on an arm which does the mic job better so the mic is never used. With that in mind I been looking for some headphones to get better quality and ditch the headset and I managed to pick up a barely used pair of Sennheiser RS220s which sound already a lot better than the headset, but I live in an apartment building and the 2.4Ghz band is just swamped with signals. Result is the RS220s drop their signal quite frequently making them unusable to me and well that means I need something else and with a wire this time ;)

Now I am quite the fan of sennheiser as can be seen with my PC stuff, but also for my phone I rock a momentum pair of theirs. Still I am more than open to other brands.

Now as far as use goes it is anything from gaming, movies to music. As for the music I have a wide range of taste, (classical, some metal stuff, lots of classic rock and some trance and random other stuff I enjoy).

I would not call myself an audiophile I just enjoy a good quality in most things I do, they would likely be driven just off the MB audio (Crosshair VI hero from Asus) cause any additional would have to come out of my 300 to really a max of 400 eur budget.

Any help is kindly appreciated.

I have a pair of Senn HD 558's and a pair of the NVX XPT 100's.

I currently just have a pair of NVX XPT 100's which are based off the Yoga CD-880 they are very neutral sounding and for the price, are excellent.  There are many different versions of these such as the Brainwaves HM5 which are slightly more expensive. maybe they are worth looking into?  lots of reviews out there to checkout..

Well under your budget but can driven very easily off a mobo or smart phone etc

Cheers.

At your budget and your requirement, the old holy trinity of HD650, DT880 or K712 are some of your best options. Your motherboard should be able to drive them since it's TOTL

I want to recommend something like HE-400i as they sound good but I find them to be uncomfortable for hours of use. There are endless reviews about these 3 headphones so you should go ahead and check them out yourself

On 1/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, Carde said:

Aw that's a bummer. 

My motherboard is able to drive the 6xx just fine at 40% - 45% Windows sound volume. My mobo is the Asus P8Z77-V LK. It's somewhat old but I still don't feel like I'd need a dac or amp. Note that I'm using a 6 ft long cable and the headphones are plugged directly into the mobo. 

Thanks for the thoughts and advice all, I think I will stick with my known brand and get a pair of HD650s