CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

12 hours ago, UsualCampaign said:

I'm looking for coolers for my 3600x. Using a 212 black edition atm and I'm currently looking at:

• 212 rgb black edition ($40)
  • Arctic 34 esports duo ($60)
  • Noctua U12s ($80)
  • Other suggestions?

I would like to do some light overclocking if possible (once I figure it out) but since they're all in the same tier I'm not sure on the direct comparisons.

I saw that the 212 rgb is slightly better than the normal 212 black edition. Also I'm assuming either the Arctic or the Noctua would be fine for quite a while? I'm in Canada and it seems like some of the other coolers aren't available.

just compare the height& depth of the coolers, and their weights without fans. These are pretty much all at the same level in terms of cooling capabilities. I don't think any of those would make an improvement. I suggest you to write, what case are you building in, with what rams& which mobo. I guess then we would be able to find a reasonably priced solution. ( if you were here, I'd definitely recommend this one, but it is very tall..)

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Worth would depend on price. I wouldn't recommend the C7 since the NH-L9i would just be quieter.

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular? Are you unable to fit a larger cooler? 

Yes I'm restricted to cooler not exceeding 55mm.

2 hours ago, FK2tame said:

Yes I'm restricted to cooler not exceeding 55mm.

What case? Have you tried using the stock cooler?

What features are you looking for in a cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The coolers you mentioned aren't much better than the Hyper 212 BE you already have. Replacing the existing fan with a better performing one or just adding another fan for push / pull would allow for similar or better performance. 

Are you not satisfied with your current cooler's performance?

I guess I'm looking for something that I can also use in the future and not need to change coolers for whatever reason. Also never really thought about replacing the fan on the cooler.

Regarding the performance of the 212, I believe it's doing a good job (~76 C on aida64) but I don't think I'm testing it correctly.

If there's not much a difference or reason for the more expensive ones, I may end up getting the rgb version if I'm able to snag one and exchange during boxing day sale (same price as the non-rgb I got).

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

just compare the height& depth of the coolers, and their weights without fans. These are pretty much all at the same level in terms of cooling capabilities. I don't think any of those would make an improvement. I suggest you to write, what case are you building in, with what rams& which mobo. I guess then we would be able to find a reasonably priced solution. ( if you were here, I'd definitely recommend this one, but it is very tall..)

Case: Fractal Define C

Mobo: b450 gaming plus max

Ram: Team vulcan t-force 3000 MHz (Prob will be changed though)

Don't think height would be much of an issue if I stick to those style of coolers.

P.S.

That is one big looking cooler.

1 minute ago, UsualCampaign said:

I guess I'm looking for something that I can also use in the future and not need to change coolers for whatever reason. Also never really thought about replacing the fan on the cooler.

Regarding the performance of the 212, I believe it's doing a good job (~76 C on aida64) but I don't think I'm testing it correctly.

If there's not much a difference or reason for the more expensive ones, I may end up getting the rgb version if I'm able to snag one and exchange during boxing day sale (same price as the non-rgb I got).

Just make sure you're running the stress test long enough. 20min is usually pretty good for temps to level out. 

The only difference between the Hyper 212 RGB BE and the BE is the fan so I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the entire cooler. It's a bit strange that you're replacing a cooler so you don't have to replace the cooler later... I mean, whatever floats your boat.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Hyper 212 RGB BE and the BE is the fan so I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the entire cooler. It's a bit strange that you're replacing a cooler

It came off to me that he's thirsty for more RGB and wants to justify it.  ?

On 12/23/2019 at 5:13 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What case? Have you tried using the stock cooler?

What features are you looking for in a cooler?

I'm using this case, SGPC K55.

Nope haven't use stock cooler yet because the case haven't arrived yet.

I don't mind the features, just want the best cooler for my cpu.

8 hours ago, FK2tame said:

I'm using this case, SGPC K55.
Nope haven't use stock cooler yet because the case haven't arrived yet.
I don't mind the features, just want the best cooler for my cpu.

The stock cooler isn't great but should be adequate for keeping temps in check. If you don't need any other features, I recommend using it first. You can always decide to replace it later if you're not satisfied with the thermals or noise. 

Is ID-cooling a trustable brand? Because I live in China and many brand I've never heard of before exist and ID-cooling is insanely cheap, as in the frostflow 240 is the same price as a hyper 212 and $50 can get you a nice frostflow 360.

1 hour ago, Prof. Lucifer said:

Is ID-cooling a trustable brand? Because I live in China and many brand I've never heard of before exist and ID-cooling is insanely cheap, as in the frostflow 240 is the same price as a hyper 212 and $50 can get you a nice frostflow 360.

Nothing special about them. Only had experience with cheaper air coolers: ID Cooling SE-214X, 213V2, their "iceland" series downdrafts (IS40?) and with some cheap case fans.

For the money, they good value. Not premium products though. Fans can get loud, esp after prolonged use. But they generally represent cost-conscious choices.-

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Has anyone seen any NH-D15 temperature tests with the 9900k? I have found the Hardware Unboxed test, but that's about it.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

7 hours ago, lufihengr said:

Has anyone seen any NH-D15 temperature tests with the 9900k? I have found the Hardware Unboxed test, but that's about it.

There aren't many since the platform used for testing is ideally usable with other coolers.. A 9900k would fail many lower end coolers and is relatively new. A lot of retesting would be required to compare older coolers. 

There are examples of the two on PCPartpicker though: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/jHZFf7#h=209,802

21 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

There aren't many since the platform used for testing is ideally usable with other coolers.. A 9900k would fail many lower end coolers and is relatively new. A lot of retesting would be required to compare older coolers. 

There are examples of the two on PCPartpicker though: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/jHZFf7#h=209,802

Hmm.. I guess I have to do my own testing then when I get the parts.

A decent AIO is almost 2x the price, so I went with the Noctua. Also my HAF X has no native support for a 280mm radiator. From older tests, it seems that the D15 should be as good as at least a 240 AIO, but it would have been nice to confirm this with the 9900k specifically 

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

59 minutes ago, lufihengr said:

but it would have been nice to confirm this with the 9900k specifically

It's a high-end noctua air cooler.  I would not worry 1 iota in your position that the temps won't be anything but frosty.  In Linus' video about comparing it to AIO's it won the hell out of the "cools CPUs really freaking well, better than most AIO award" for a reason.

What is the best choice between a Gamdias Chione P1A 360R ($169) and DeepCool Gamerstorm Castle 360 RGB ($190)?

1 hour ago, Sacerdus said:

What is the best choice between a Gamdias Chione P1A 360R ($169) and DeepCool Gamerstorm Castle 360 RGB ($190)?

Haven't heard of the Gamdias one yet, but I've heard glowing reviews about the DeepCool Castle ones.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

On 12/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, Sacerdus said:

I haven't seen any reviews on the Chione P1A 360R so I'm not sure how that performs. The short fan blades aren't indicators of good performance.

If we can extrapolate from how the 240mm's from the same respective series compare, the Gamerstorm Castle 360 RGB is probably better. 

On 12/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, lufihengr said:

Hmm.. I guess I have to do my own testing then when I get the parts.

A decent AIO is almost 2x the price, so I went with the Noctua. Also my HAF X has no native support for a 280mm radiator. From older tests, it seems that the D15 should be as good as at least a 240 AIO, but it would have been nice to confirm this with the 9900k specifically 

Arctic Liquid Freezer II would have been both cheaper and cooler, but D5 is definitely a solid option

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

So which of these 2 is better for a i9 9900k at stock, maybe some light oc? i have the choice beetween the "Fractal Design Celsius S24" or the "Gamer Storm Castle 240EX" prices are almost identical.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:18 AM, Owlcat said:

So which of these 2 is better for a i9 9900k at stock, maybe some light oc? i have the choice beetween the "Fractal Design Celsius S24" or the "Gamer Storm Castle 240EX" prices are almost identical.

The Celsius S24 is quieter and the Castle 240EX performs a bit better. What are your priorities?

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

just install my thermalright AS120 today with their TF8 thermal paste as well , barely fit in lian li o11 dynamic case, its 154mm height but very, very near the 155m range.

15-20C degree lower in idle compare to my old h60 aio (because of the aio cooler "age", it just slightly better than the stock amd fan)

20c+ degree lower during FPU stress test with aida64

only using 1 fan mode since a lot of the reviews mention 2 fans only give minimal improvement. Fan is not loud at all at max speed (1500rpm) , at 1300rpm (which is the max fan curve i set) its like running an arctic f12. really happy with this purchase and the performance it give ?

Hi i'm looking a white/silver aircooler with 100% ram clearance/visibility able to cool a 9600k@5ghz.

The best i've found so far are in T4 (Alpenföhn Brocken 3, Matterhorn 3 / Rev. C, Scythe Mugen Rev.B).

What is the best option?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fXqFXv

9 hours ago, Therminal said:

Hi i'm looking a white/silver aircooler with 100% ram clearance/visibility able to cool a 9600k@5ghz.

What's your budget?

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's your budget?

~60€

30 minutes ago, Therminal said:

~60€

Where are you shopping / located? The pcpartpicker link you originally posted was for the US.