CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

On 8/21/2018 at 3:50 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Corsair recommends it as intake at the rear of the case

Thank you for your informative post Senor WoodenMarker,

Just want to ask how bad is the noise?

Isn't it true that setting it up as intake at front of the case is much better than exhaust at back of the case?

since it will be getting much cooler air in front of the case as intake config as compared to much hotter GPU  heated air at exhaust config?

I just checked Corsair H45 product page couldn't see anywhere where its recommended config is exhaust at back

On 8/22/2018 at 6:38 AM, Ragnar31 said:

Thank you for your informative post Senor WoodenMarker,

Just want to ask how bad is the noise?

Isn't it true that setting it up as intake at front of the case is much better than exhaust at back of the case?

since it will be getting much cooler air in front of the case as intake config as compared to much hotter GPU  heated air at exhaust config?

I just checked Corsair H45 product page couldn't see anywhere where its recommended config is exhaust at back

Here's a comparison between the H45's noise with some other coolers: http://thermalbench.com/2016/09/27/corsair-hydro-series-h45-aio-cpu-cooler/5/

I couldn't find any good recordings of the stock fan. Most recordings I come across are of older fan SP120L models which are noisier. 

According to ThermalBench, it's louder than the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and quieter than the TD03 Lite. After calibrating your noise with this:

You can hear how the R1 Ultimate fan sounds here:

and the TD03 Lite fan is here:

There's also pump noise but that's mostly down to luck. Sometimes, it's fairly quiet and sometimes it's noisy. 

The H45 page doesn't list download link for the manual but the H60 does under the Download tab: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060007-WW

ec0d18079898765bf597a1540472e32b.png

As shown in the manual and often in Corsair tutorial videos, 120mm AIO's are generally mounted as intake at the rear for best performance. 

Front intake may be better or worse than rear exhaust depending on the case due to how different meshes and filters impede airflow. The reason why rear exhaust can be worse is due to open air graphics card coolers spewing heat into the case which means the AIO is taking in warmer air than it would otherwise receive if it was at the front of the case as intake. With blower style cards, this is less of an issue.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

TIER 0

ULTIMATE PCMASTERRACE

I dont rite in italics.

5445.png

from 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that you should add tier 10 for the normal intel stock cooler.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 minute ago, Void Master said:

I believe that you should add tier 10 for the normal intel stock cooler.

The top and bottom tiers can always be expanded but finding good reference points and pinpointing performance for the lowest end and highest end coolers isn't easy. Adding a lower tier would require separating the current lowest tier and more research -- which means I'll get around to it eventually. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi..

I want to ask about something that I'm wondering it quite awhile.

How good is BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 on i7 8700K basically?

Is there anyone who ever tried to use Shadow Rock 2 with other stronger fans?

Regarding it's a big bulky heatsink but it's for 120 mm fan, I wonder how good it will be if we swap its stock fan to Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM as a stronger fan on its big bulky heatsink?

If there is any increase in performance, how much is the increase? Is it worth to do the fan swap?

Thanks..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

15 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

How good is BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 on i7 8700K basically?

Is there anyone who ever tried to use Shadow Rock 2 with other stronger fans?

Regarding it's a big bulky heatsink but it's for 120 mm fan, I wonder how good it will be if we swap its stock fan to Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM as a stronger fan on its big bulky heatsink?

If there is any increase in performance, how much is the increase? Is it worth to do the fan swap?

The SR2 would be enough for the 8700k at stock or with a slight to moderate oc depending on how good your chip is. 

I'm sure someone has tried replacing the stock fan although I don't have any specific examples of this. The stock PW2 fan isn't very powerful and replacing it with or adding a better fan would definitely help performance. A 3000rpm iPPC NF-F12 would definitely improve performance but it would discard the cooler's original purpose of being quiet. A round 140mm fan would probably be more well-rounded upgrade that improves performance while maintaining the original purpose of quiet operation. 

If you already have the heatsink, adding a fan might be worth doing and could drop load temps by several degrees. If not, you're better off getting a better cooler to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

cooler master ma410p or cryorig h7 quad lumi with cooler master RGB fan? for my i5- 8400

i know its a bit overkill but in this era, RGB is everything

3 hours ago, EnterClassroom said:

cooler master ma410p or cryorig h7 quad lumi with cooler master RGB fan? for my i5- 8400

i know its a bit overkill but in this era, RGB is everything

Wouldn't make any noticeable difference outside of aesthetics. Pick whichever looks better to you.

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Wouldn't make any noticeable difference outside of aesthetics. Pick whichever looks better to you.

how about ma410p and ma410m??

Anything like a 212 can cool any non-k cpu , I have the original 212 and cools my gf's 7500 at ambient :o , but i disagree about this list ,(because I'm a bit of noctua fanboy)  all noctuas should be tier 1 or 2 and aesthetics is subjective but mount system not, all 212 or all clamp mounts(like amd pre-ryzen) must be tier 10000xe^10 , If you have a 212 try to wiggle xD wtf is that mount.....

And on thermal grease included , hmmmm noctua > all ? ,(well i didnt saw any better included on a cooler , maybe some Artic silver clones).

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

3 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

all noctuas should be tier 1 or 2 

so a dinky NH-L9i gets placed in the same tier as a bona-fide 360mm AIO or top-end air cooler?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

so a dinky NH-L9i gets placed in the same tier as a bona-fide 360mm AIO or top-end air cooler?

Well you cant put a 360mm AIO were nh-l9i fits , almost every noctua has its purpose, or go tell linus to remove his l9i from the server to put a 360mm AIO if its better.... what i'm trying to say its that is like putting a sfx psu on low tier because size or noise or thermals compared to a normal diamond....

If you want a console sized pc maybe that nh-l9i is the best u can get. that is a high tier, we musnt put a low profile cooler on low tier because is low profile, we must put high tier because that is (like my wow inner nerd would say) BiS (Best in Slot). 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Well you cant put a 360mm AIO were nh-l9i fits

size isn't the purpose of the list, it's the performance.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

what i'm trying to say its that is like putting a sfx psu on low tier because size or noise or thermals compared to a diamond....

you're pretty much saying all noctua coolers should be in tier 1-2 because noctua.

10 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Anything like a 212 can cool any non-k cpu , I have the original 212 and cools my gf's 7500 at ambient :o , but i disagree about this list ,(because I'm a bit of noctua fanboy)  all noctuas should be tier 1 or 2 and aesthetics is subjective but mount system not, all 212 or all clamp mounts(like amd pre-ryzen) must be tier 10000xe^10 , If you have a 212 try to wiggle xD wtf is that mount.....

And on thermal grease included , hmmmm noctua > all ? ,(well i didnt saw any better included on a cooler , maybe some Artic silver clones).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

size isn't the purpose of the list, it's the performance.

you're pretty much saying all noctua coolers should be in tier 1-2 because noctua.

nope , because mount system 7 years warranty for fans , 100% free support for new brackets , one of the best thermal grease, one of the best low noise and high efficency fans, allways pushing to have more vapor chambers to have better cooling on the same size as the rest..... pick one.

Just now, Peskanova said:

nope , because mount system 7 years warranty for fans , 100% free support for new brackets , one of the best thermal grease, one of the best low noise and high efficency fans, allways pushing to have more vapor chambers to have better cooling on the same size as the rest..... pick one.

what part of the thread's title is not making sense to you?

CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

8 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Please, reread this whole thread, including the title.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

• 3 weeks later...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Hopefully it performs better than the EVO because it looks nice. I wonder if the all black paint scheme helps with heat dissipation. 

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Hopefully it performs better than the EVO because it looks nice. I wonder if the all black paint scheme helps with heat dissipation. 

Doubt it helps, but I also dont think it hinders it either. Also wonder what good the heat sink on the CPU plate does. Probably like GPU Backplates; Not much at all.

The Silencio fan should theoretically perform better than the RGB with the higher air pressure rating (though less CFM) and is quieter. The cooler ius still 158mm tall so while it's suitable for just about any mid tower, it's not suitable for cases that need lower profile air coolers (Lian Li PC-O11D, Corsair 380T, etc.) At least the brushed aluminium plate looks really nice.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:
5 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Added the Black Edition to the list. It seems to perform better than previous Hyper 212's enough to be placed in Tier 6 - Better 212's. 

https://www.techgaming.nl/review-cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition/

https://www.sweclockers.com/testpilot/26416-testpilot-cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-klassisk-kylare-i-ny-skrud/5

https://www.eteknix.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-review/5/

Still waiting for any reviews on the RGB BE and I'm excited to see more benchmarks comparing the BE with other popular coolers like the H7 for more accuracy.

Overall, they look really nice and I'm glad there's finally a significant update to a line of coolers that plenty of people are sure to continue buying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the reason the NH-D14 is lower than the NH-D15 due to its 140 fans or heat-pipes or both?

Are they more on par with each other if a third fan is added to a NH-D14:

HEATSINK.jpg

?

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

9 hours ago, kingknightrider said:

Is the reason the NH-D14 is lower than the NH-D15 due to its 140 fans or heat-pipes or both?

Are they more on par with each other if a third fan is added to a NH-D14:?

The front 140mm fan on the NH-D15 is raised for the ram with 32mm of clearance in its default position. With the fans lowered, the NH-D15 is 160mm tall. The 120mm fan on the NH-D14 doesn't have to be raised above the heatsink for similar clearance. 

A third fan is probably enough to close the gap in performance although I rarely recommend going with the NH-D14 nowadays due to the older design with less friendly fan clips, heatsink fin spikes, and non-pwm fans on the mainstream variant. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Beerus said:

CoolerMaster MA410M should be tier 5. Similar perfomance with Dark rock 4 https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterair-ma410m-cpu-cooler,5813-2.html

The MA410M is similar in performance to the DR4 in the same way that Tier 6 is similar in performance to Tier 5. It's not like the two coolers trade blows but instead, the DR4 always wins. 

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/cooler-master-masterair-ma410m-review/2/

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_masterair_ma410m_review/7

https://www.techtesters.eu/cooler-master-masterair-ma410m-review/