Java VS VB for GUI programming

Hikaru12

I'm looking on tackling a programming project this winter break which leaves me with about a month to write something. The programming project is basically going to be a goal tracker which is going to use a GUI interface with checkboxes and radio buttons, etc. I'm only a beginner to programming so I haven't had much experience working with GUI's as most of my work has involved using the console or command line. Therefore, what programming language would you recommend that's quick and easy to learn to build a GUI? I heard Java's swing library isn't too bad but VB is easier for designing quick form based apps (which is what this would be). 

VB for da win!

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Why not a WPF project? Then you won't have to touch the horrible VB or Java :D

Why not a WPF project? Then you won't have to touch the horrible VB or Java :D

+1 here. java is terrible and VB is syntactically different than java. WPF + C#

Ive never heard of it. Is it easy to pick up. I heard C is fun to play with as you get more direct control over your hardware.

Alright I'll give it a shot. I like how the XAML keeps appearance and functionality separate - a very important part in any UI design.

Alright I'll give it a shot. I like how the XAML keeps appearance and functionality separate - a very important part in any UI design.

I have been aging with XAML and C#. C# isn't new to me but XAML was. It's very clean I think. Makes for some really great UIs

Use it along with an MVVM pattern and you are golden. Totally decoupled Model and View code!

VB is the way to go if you want to do a simple GUI design. Drag and drop elements, write a few lines of code, tidy up and work on aesthetics, and you're golden. Quite powerful, but of the two I've found that you can definitely do more with Java. VB has database and live-data capture going for it if that's what you want to get into (I'm sure Java can do it as well, but I've only done live-data with VB).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

VB is the way to go if you want to do a simple GUI design. Drag and drop elements, write a few lines of code, tidy up and work on aesthetics, and you're golden. Quite powerful, but of the two I've found that you can definitely do more with Java. VB has database and live-data capture going for it if that's what you want to get into (I'm sure Java can do it as well, but I've only done live-data with VB).

Aaaaaand you can do that with WPF projects as well... 

Why not a WPF project? Then you won't have to touch the horrible VB or Java  :D

+1 here. java is terrible and VB is syntactically different than java. WPF + C#

how dare you say that! take that back right now or i will clear all the int's from your class!

how dare you say that! take that back right now or i will clear all the int's from your class!

No because it's true! It's got so many security holes that it amazes me how many corporations rely on it like they do. It really is scary. Two biggest worries the security guy at my college worries about: java exploits and flash exploits.

No because it's true! It's got so many security holes that it amazes me how many corporations rely on it like they do. It really is scary. Two biggest worries the security guy at my college worries about: java exploits and flash exploits.

that's it... expect all the int's to be cleaned withing the next 24 hours and if it hasn't then please report this to the admin team.

Both Java and VB have their places (Personally I would go with C# instead of VB...if you know both java and VB then C# should be easy to pick up...I did it in a few days when I learned it).  For GUI VB/C# is by far the winner...Java does have a few tools that allow you to make GUI's easily, but I find it quite difficult compared to other implementations.

As people have said WPF is good...but from my experience with it, just go with the standard WinForm at the start and once you get a good understanding of programming move to learning WPF.  To those recommending WPF, I do understand that it is an emerging trend and important to learn but I do not agree with learning it just out of the gate.  WinForm has so many extra resources out there, due to it being out for so long.

As a note as well WPF does not always beat the old WinForm method...as it currently stands certain elements in WPF just aren't as good as their winform counter parts (although other elements are greatly better).  WPF also can take longer on startup, and if you plan to use the program on an old machine, it will not support WPF.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I'd avoid VB. If you're going to build something for Windows only then I'd recommend C#.

Both Java and VB have their places (Personally I would go with C# instead of VB...if you know both java and VB then C# should be easy to pick up...I did it in a few days when I learned it).  For GUI VB/C# is by far the winner...Java does have a few tools that allow you to make GUI's easily, but I find it quite difficult compared to other implementations.

As people have said WPF is good...but from my experience with it, just go with the standard WinForm at the start and once you get a good understanding of programming move to learning WPF.  To those recommending WPF, I do understand that it is an emerging trend and important to learn but I do not agree with learning it just out of the gate.  WinForm has so many extra resources out there, due to it being out for so long.

As a note as well WPF does not always beat the old WinForm method...as it currently stands certain elements in WPF just aren't as good as their winform counter parts (although other elements are greatly better).  WPF also can take longer on startup, and if you plan to use the program on an old machine, it will not support WPF.

How would I actually work with WinForm? All I can find out about it is that it's included with .Net. Would I use Visual Studio as my IDE to start working with it?

And yes, the program will be Windows only because it will be used on the main desktop which I use daily. I figured since it will be a goal tracking app it will make sense to have it on the machine I use most often.

I personally prefer java because that's what I have the most experience in.

If you are new to java and plan on working with GUI programs, I would look into using Netbeans, as it has a built in GUI designer that lets you visualize the GUI you are making and puts the basic/generic code in place for you.

How would I actually work with WinForm? All I can find out about it is that it's included with .Net. Would I use Visual Studio as my IDE to start working with it?

And yes, the program will be Windows only because it will be used on the main desktop which I use daily. I figured since it will be a goal tracking app it will make sense to have it on the machine I use most often.

Yea, WinForm is basically a Visual Studio thing...but that is because VB, and C# basically need VS anyways :P

You basically get the options of Console Application, Winform or WPF when you create a new project in Visual Studios

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Yea, WinForm is basically a Visual Studio thing...but that is because VB, and C# basically need VS anyways :P

You basically get the options of Console Application, Winform or WPF when you create a new project in Visual Studios

Thanks. I'll give it a try.