Google Finalizes Billion Dollar Deal with HTC

4 minutes ago, Navbryce said:

Fair points. Google gave free Google Home Mini's to people who bought Pixel 2's within a certain amount of time, which was a pretty good incentive for me. I guess they're trying to get as many Google "ecosystem" hooks into customers as possible.

Basically. More devices = more harvestable user data.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That, and the fact that Samsung introduced a huge deal of features that made Android what it is today.

Damn it! :P That was my other point. I actually find stock Android lacking in many areas and greatly prefer many of the other companies takes on it. Just switch out the launcher to Nova and go.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Damn it! :P That was my other point. I actually find stock Android lacking in many areas and greatly prefer many of the other companies takes on it. Just switch out the launcher to Nova and go.

Honestly, Kitkat+, Touchwiz has been the best experience I've had with Android, with Microsoft's launcher being a close second and everything else being distant thirds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Honestly, Kitkat+, Touchwiz has been the best experience I've had with Android, with Microsoft's launcher being a close second and everything else being distant thirds.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I haven't used Microsoft's launcher, I didn't even know they had one for Android.

I'm actually pretty happy with Asus's version of Android as well. They're very active with their users when it comes to suggestions and I've had more updates for this device than even my Nexus devices got.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I haven't used Microsoft's launcher, I didn't even know they had one for Android.

I'm actually pretty happy with Asus's version of Android as well. They're very active with their users when it comes to suggestions and I've had more updates for this device than even my Nexus devices got.

It used to be Next Launcher, but IMO, it's superior to Google's shit "stock experience".

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It used to be Next Launcher, but IMO, it's superior to Google's shit "stock experience".

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try it when I get my Mi Max 3.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Hope Google will create mid range phones in addition to the expensive Pixels. And headphone jack please.

I think they should bring back nexus branding fly the mid range phones. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've had both an HTC Droid Incredible (my very first smart phone) and the One M8 and both phones were really great, even though I'm a Samsung fanboy these days.  Sucks we won't have any more dedicated HTC branded phones going forward, but Google's first party stuff should benefit from this acquisition.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

My first HTC was the desire back in 2010 - when it was a flagship.  Since then I have owned/used several desires and to be honest they aren't bad for the price.   It's a shame HTC are going the way they are because they have done lot more for the smartphone industry than people give them credit for.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

while im a large user of their services, i dont think i would actiually want hardware made by google. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I really liked the HTC One X

That was my first android phone. Not a bad device at all tbh.

Tegra 3 was hit and miss though. Great perf at the time but it ran super hot.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

14 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

I'm not exactly a fan of Vertical Integration... Just makes the illusion of choice that much greater.

Frankly, I think Google needs it if it's going to produce its own phones.  The whole point of the Pixel line is to represent the best of Android, and in many ways Google as a whole -- you want hardware that lives up to the promise of the software.

Besides, the not-so-secret truth is that the iPhone does as well as it does because of vertical integration.  Apple can develop new iOS releases knowing exactly how it'll work with new hardware; it can tie into a wider ecosystem (other iOS devices, the Mac, Apple Watch, AirPods, etc.); you don't end up waiting 3 months for a software update.

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I think they should bring back nexus branding fly the mid range phones. 

Well, there's currently a solution and it's called "Android One". The Xiaomi Mi A1 has that branding. It's basically a guaranteed stock Android experience on a midrange phone. 

59 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Well, there's currently a solution and it's called "Android One". The Xiaomi Mi A1 has that branding. It's basically a guaranteed stock Android experience on a midrange phone. 

I know, I currently have a Sony phone though. But there's just something about a Sony built phone, nexus quality with similar, slightly higher pricing would make me very happy. 

EDIT, I'm referring to the Nexus 4-5 era, the golden age of nexus value in my opinion.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

I know, I currently have a Sony phone though. But there's just something about a Sony built phone, nexus quality with similar, slightly higher pricing would make me very happy. 

EDIT, I'm referring to the Nexus 4-5 era, the golden age of nexus value in my opinion.

My blood boils when you mention the Nexus 4. The updates killed it after 1~2 years. It was a fantastic device at launch though. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It's basically a guaranteed stock Android experience on a midrange phone. 

So, basically garbage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So, basically garbage.

LOL I'd be saying the same thing if I had an iPhone. But I have a Zuk....so it seems good to me! 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

My blood boils when you mention the Nexus 4. The updates killed it after 1~2 years. It was a fantastic device at launch though. 

I only kept mine for 14-16 months then got the nexus 5, thats still a capable device today and i use it for listening to music and YouTube on the go when my tablet isn't practical. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well, so it will be interesting to see the next phone, better be polished and with no issues now.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, so it will be interesting to see the next phone, better be polished and with no issues now.

If HTC engineers can harvest some of their old mojo the next phone will be very polished. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

If HTC engineers can harvest some of their old mojo the next phone will be very polished. 

Yeah, would be awesome. For Google it seems they kinda rushed both Pixels with flaws and such as everyone know. But HTC really had very nice phones, so I'd be interesting in what they'll come up with. Also that stock Android as well.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, would be awesome. For Google it seems they kinda rushed both Pixels with flaws and such as everyone know. But HTC really had very nice phones, so I'd be interesting in what they'll come up with. Also that stock Android as well.

I'm psyched for what they produce :)

This move makes a ton of sense. It allows Google to not have to outsource manufacturing and have better QC on their products. I had a pixel 1 as did my brother, my wife had a pixel 2 xl and my sister in law has a pixel 2. All we're solid phones (wife and I use pixel 2 xl's now).

9 hours ago, asus killer said:

How does HTC phone division is worth 1Bilion dollars???? 

HTC fits into the "others" category for mobile market share, but those others all have multi billion dollar revenues.  So the mobile division of any of them (HTC, LG, motorola etc) should be about the same.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:11 PM, Navbryce said:

Fair points. Google gave free Google Home Mini's to people who bought Pixel 2's within a certain amount of time, which was a pretty good incentive for me. I guess they're trying to get as many Google "ecosystem" hooks into customers as possible.

Eh $30 item is not a enticing on at $930 purchase $850 + Tax.  Less then 5% off.

Thats just my opinion. Though if i planed on buying one anyway its a nice addition.