Ryzen 7 black screen

Go to solution Solved by ToothlessFury,

UPDATE: So apperently reinstalling windows like this:

First let windows update (do not touch it, unitl it automatically updates to the newest version).

When it is finnished updating start installing your drivers from vendor websites (not the ASUS ones).

And do not install AURA or AI suite.

This probably fixed the issue for me.

I haven't had any black screen in a whole week of normal use.

Hi @ToothlessFury, have you been able to fix your rig? I currently face the same problem and found some other people are having a similar issue. I have tried most of the things you said, I am currently trying to use only one or other stick of RAM. For me, it also seems to occur at very random times, though it has become more frequent in the last few days.

My system is as follows:

System info:

• CPU: Ryzen 1700 @3.2Ghz and with Auto (Actually saw it drop below 1.05V, is that normal?)
  • MB: ASUS  Prime X370-PRO
  • RAM: 2XCorsair Vengeance 8GB 3200Mhz
  • PSU: NZXT Hale80V2 700W
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060
  • SSD: PNY 120GB SSD
  • HDD: NONE
  • CPU Cooler: Stock Wraith Cooler that comes with the 1700
  • System: Windows 10 64 bit.

Hello @guihashimoto, two weeks ago I sent my CPU for RMA and I got a brand new piece just today. :D

So far it passed 15 min OCCT + two hours idle + 30 min OCCT + three hours idle.

Will see if the black screen problem is still present in the following weeks.

I will let you posted weekly.

If I go through two weeks without a black screen, then I think it is safe to say that it was a CPU problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-21 at 2:28 PM, ToothlessFury said:

Update:

Tried a brand new CPU. Black screen problem still present.

Sucks, was hoping this would solve the issue as im experiencing the same issue. Thanks for weighing in on my post and linking to yours.

UPDATE: So apperently reinstalling windows like this:

First let windows update (do not touch it, unitl it automatically updates to the newest version).

When it is finnished updating start installing your drivers from vendor websites (not the ASUS ones).

And do not install AURA or AI suite.

This probably fixed the issue for me.

I haven't had any black screen in a whole week of normal use.

• 3 months later...

How did it go since march?

Have a brand new 2600x and asus x470-f and same thing as yours. Seems like they still havent fixed AI Suite.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Reventon said:

Have a brand new 2600x and asus x470-f and same thing as yours. Seems like they still havent fixed AI Suite.

I have not used AI Suite since then and had no more problems.  

So AI Suite and outdated drivers seem to be the problem.

Most of the things that I used AI Suite for could be set in the BIOS (fan curves etc.), so there is no need for such bloatware anymore.

Ye same here now, have run the machine without ai suite for 24 hours now and did the bios thing as you did, and so far so good.

Got rid of the annoying fan speed up noise as soon as you scroll on a website or open a small progam too.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 12:15 PM, Reventon said:

Me too, I have a Ryzen 2600X and a X470 F Gaming with a GTX 1080, the problem starts when I change the fans speed, then like after 5 seconds I have the black screen, and my GPU goes white, and then I have to turn off my PSU, that hurts me, so I'll uninstall the AI Suite.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Thanks for this thread.  I was about to purchase a new CPU because of the same problems.  I uninstalled AI Suite and that didn't fix bit, but after uninstalling AURA my system is stable again.  I didn't have to do a fresh install.  I can't believe ASUSs software is this crappy.  I was loosing my mind!   

Thanks

I have this EXACT same issue on my Ryzen 5 2600x and STRIX B350-F. It's been a constant plague, occurring, on average, every 2-4 hours. I'm going to try uninstalling AI Suite. I've tried 3 different sound solutions, reflashed BIOS, GPU BIOS, different stock Windows power plans (which seem to be the cause?). 

When I first rebuilt my PC I used an adapter card to convert my PCI sound card to PCIe, but I could not get sound to work and had this black screen freeze. I read that it was sound driver related, so I tried the motherboard audio. The motherboard's audio didn't solve the problem, not to mention the board doesn't play 5.1 surround and has lower quality playing FLAC files vs my phone streaming YouTube. I got a PCIe version of my PCI card and managed to get sound to work, with the same quality as my PCI card. But I still had the freeze. 

I discussed my issue with people in the LTT discord, where I tried reflashing and resetting my BIOS, reinstalling the chipset drivers, and flashing a GPU BIOS update. I presumed that this fixed my problem because I then played Osiris: New Dawn for 4 hours without issues. The next day I had the black screen freeze. This is when I began to mess with Windows power plans. 

When I use the 'Ryzen Optimized' plan I can let my PC idle for hours without this occurring. But if I shutdown, sleep, or hibernate then Windows reverts to the default 'Balanced' plan, which then my PC will black screen freeze after 30 min. I've tried using gpedit and regedit 'fixes' but they don't force Windows to retain a custom power plan. Even if uninstalling AI Suite fixes my issues, I want to fix this damn Windows power plan thing. Temps and usage are better on 'Ryzen Optimized' plan vs 'Balanced' 

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

• 9 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 11:56 PM, southsko said:

Guys,

Thanks for this thread.  I was about to purchase a new CPU because of the same problems.  I uninstalled AI Suite and that didn't fix bit, but after uninstalling AURA my system is stable again.  I didn't have to do a fresh install.  I can't believe ASUSs software is this crappy.  I was loosing my mind!   

Thanks

The same steps fixed the same problem in my PC. Thanks, everyone for this thread.