Samsung launches Z-NAND SSDs, competition for Optane

porina

Samsung announced today that they are officially launching their first Z-SSD product, the SZ985. The Z-SSD uses Samsung's Z-NAND memory, a high-performance derivative of their 3D NAND flash memory and Samsung's intended competition for Intel's 3D XPoint memory. The SZ985 is a high-performance, high-endurance enterprise NVMe SSD.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12376/samsung-launches-zssd-sz985-up-to-800gb-of-znand

Not wanting to leave the ultra high end SSD space to Intel, Samsung have now launched products using Z-NAND promising many of the benefits of Optane, although we'll have to wait and see on pricing. Initially it will be offered in 240GB and 800GB models. Claimed random read speeds are higher than Optane, but lower random writes may mean they will be suited to different use cases. I suspect this is for high queue depth, and it will be interesting to see how it performs at low QD also. Endurance is at a rated 30 drive writes per day for 5 years.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Doesn't really compete with Optane. The advantage of 3DXPoint is lower latency, which is not reflected in sequential or high-QD random performance. It shows up in the latency and low-QD random performance, neither of which are commonly quoted in marketing material. At least they did quote a write latency here, but not read.

And the only reason the SSD ends up ahead in sequentials and high-QD random performance is that they use more chips. If you interleave enough (RAID0 etc), even HDDs and freaking tape could beat Optane in sequentials.

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Doesn't really compete with Optane. The advantage of 3DXPoint is lower latency, which is not reflected in sequential or high-QD random performance. It shows up in the latency and low-QD random performance, neither of which are commonly quoted in marketing material. At least they did quote a write latency here, but not read.

And the only reason the SSD ends up ahead in sequentials and high-QD random performance is that they use more chips. If you interleave enough (RAID0 etc), even HDDs and freaking tape could beat Optane in sequentials.

Z-NAND does have far lower latency than their current 3D-NAND though, higher than Optane though.

Edit:

Samsung has not provided full performance specifications for the SZ985, but they have highlighted several key metrics that put the Z-SSD in the top performance tier. The SZ985 can deliver up to 750k random read IOPS, well above the 550k IOPS that Intel's Optane SSD DC P4800X is rated for. Write performance from the SZ985 is much less impressive at only 170k random write IOPS.

IOPs has a direct relationship to latency so you can get some information from this, though as you mentioned no queue depth information.

Edit 2:

Tech   Capacity     R/W IOPS        R/W bandwidth     Life     R/W Latency
Optane P4800X    3D XPoint   750GB 550K       2.4/2.0 GB/sec     41 PBW     10/10μs
SZ985    SLC NAND   800GB 750K/170K       3.2/3.2 GB/sec     42.7 PBW     12-20/16μs

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/17/specs_for_samsungs_potential_optane_killer/

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Z-NAND does have far lower latency than their current 3D-NAND though, higher than Optane though.

Edit:

IOPs has a direct relationship to latency so you can get some information from this, though as you mentioned no queue depth information.

Higher queue depths tend to mask the effect of latency, and allow quantity to beat quality (more chips, more interleaving, better overall performance). "Up to" IOPS usually means high queue depth.

But of course high queue depth performance is very relevant to lots of enterprise storage needs anyway. Just a question of whether there's a big enough niche for Optane.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

But of course high queue depth performance is very relevant to lots of enterprise storage needs anyway. Just a question of whether there's a big enough niche for Optane.

If you have a workload that favours low QD performance, there is little alternative to Optane. It doesn't need consumer levels of volume to make business sense. If you have a workload that works great with high QD or sequential, you've been covered for a long time. The question is will Z-NAND take over some use cases only covered by Optane currently, although it should still be interesting just as a high(er) performing version of conventional NAND SSDs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

wonder why they cut down the warranty from 10 years to 5 since the pro series, not that it's going anywhere , but you know.

Details separate people.

26 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Higher queue depths tend to mask the effect of latency, and allow quantity to beat quality (more chips, more interleaving, better overall performance). "Up to" IOPS usually means high queue depth.

See the further ninja edits, latency is still low. Flash is still inherently limited compared to newer better technologies like 3DXPoint but it's cheaper and easier to roll out in large quantities where it would work well.

We can extrapolate from the difference in both latency and write IOPs that the write IOPS of the SZ985 is less than half but the latency is not double so it should be hitting the maximum write IOPs at fairly low queue depths due to internal limitations somewhere, likely the DRAM cache to flash.

I’d still probably go for Intel 3D. There is a big difference between new and refined technology. The still lower latency makes Optane just superior still, although the Z-Nand will be cheaper.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Endurance is at a rated 30 drive writes per day for 5 years.

What. The. Fuck. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

What. The. Fuck. 

Cheap TLC SSDs for desktops/laptops typically range from 0.1-0.3 for some perspective on just how crazy high that is.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Cheap TLC SSDs for desktops/laptops typically range from 0.1-0.3 for some perspective on just how crazy high that is.

I just calculated. 

If you were to write 42,7PB in one session, you'd have to write 3,2gb/s for 154 days straight. Holy shit. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

38 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I just calculated. 

If you were to write 42,7PB in one session, you'd have to write 3,2gb/s for 154 days straight. Holy shit. 

If Linus went into slave-driver mode and kept LMG staff working 24/7, and decided to use only one such drive to service everyone, and if the drive is actually fast enough, I'm fairly certain it can be done.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If Linus went into slave-driver mode and kept LMG staff working 24/7, and decided to use only one such drive to service everyone, and if the drive is actually fast enough, I'm fairly certain it can be done.

The capacity of a single device wouldn't be nearly enough for the stuff they do, and if they had to do an array, the performance would be spread over that array. Not to mention the difficulty of having a lot of them in an array, looks like they're PCIe 4x interface in the images so far. Dunno if there'll be other versions later.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

Edit 2:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/17/specs_for_samsungs_potential_optane_killer/

There should be stuff that needs to be kept in mind though.

First off, from what it sounds like Z-NAND is really just 3D SLC. So while it's gonna have better performance than 3D TLC, especially when it comes to write latency, you still haven't escaped some of the basic issues with NAND (write amplification, a minimum of reads and writes being 4 KB, etc.).

While Z-NAND sounds like it's gonna be pretty freaking fast compared to other SSDs at the moment I don't think it's gonna quite match optane, but rather sort of fill in a gap between 3D TLC SSDs and Optane. While the numbers quoted here are impressive, what's worth noting is the biggest advantage of optane is latency and low QD performance. The latency quoted by the Z-SSD is getting close but it's still a fair bit behind, and while Samsung quotes a high random read number that's most likely peak performance measured at some ridiculously high QD. Plus, the random write is super low.

Of course, this is all speculation so we'll have to wait for reviewers to get the product before being certain but I really don't think we'll see NAND being able to match optane any time soon.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This looks awesome. I wonder about 240GB price. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

If you're thinking about sticking it in your gaming rig, it's not meant for you :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're thinking about sticking it in your gaming rig, it's not meant for you :P

I'd still get one to try out. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, porina said:

The capacity of a single device wouldn't be nearly enough for the stuff they do, and if they had to do an array, the performance would be spread over that array. Not to mention the difficulty of having a lot of them in an array, looks like they're PCIe 4x interface in the images so far. Dunno if there'll be other versions later.

Well, it's a good thing I never specified a lone drive had to actually be suitable for LMG. They only need to shove data through the drive, even if they're working more slowly as a result.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Don't worry I know which workload this would mainly be aimed at.

Only certain games actually benefit quite noticeably from SSD though. Like WoW open world with ton of assets and players in one place to load all those armor items on them and characters. Transition to populated places are much better, not seeing walking ground shadows and characters popping one by one haha. Initial logging in to the world load times are much faster too, specially with many addons also. 

Still 4K random read increase is very welcome. So have to see the price compared to M.2 NVMe SSDs but still, lower capacity option is nice. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

42 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Look at the 960 Pro and go up from there. Probably wont be as high as Optane 900p 280GB though.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I did not get a 280GB 900p just to install one game on it. :P (it wasn't for the "free" Star Citizen ship either...)

1 minute ago, porina said:

Look at the 960 Pro 

I did though they ditched 256GB option for it. I really don't need higher capacity specially cause of price. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for their new M.2 NVMe drive. There's enterprise version so consumer one yet to come. So yeah that and this Z nand will be interested to see. 

15 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I did though they ditched 256GB option for it. I really don't need higher capacity specially cause of price. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for their new M.2 NVMe drive. There's enterprise version so consumer one yet to come. So yeah that and this Z nand will be interested to see. 

I haven't looked at the 960 models in a while. If the smaller one isn't around any more, use a bigger one for price per capacity indication, and add a bit more since smaller ones usually aren't quite as good.

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The latency quoted by the Z-SSD is getting close but it's still a fair bit behind, and while Samsung quotes a high random read number that's most likely peak performance measured at some ridiculously high QD. Plus, the random write is super low.

Those seq numbers and read IOPs are actually a lot lower compared to their current 3D MLC NAND enterprise NVMe SSDs, those have around 6.4GB/s read and 1 million read IOPs, all high QD of course.