I built a XP Gaming rig for old games. I wanted no drop in frames. I also wanted to have EAX support though a Digital Output. I used newer and older hardware.

I have: 

A crappy 300 watt Lite On PSU

E8500 Intel CPU running @ 3.16GHz Because yeah Core 2 Duo

Asus duel fan 750TI (powerful as hell with Direct X 9c in Windows XP

G Skill Memory running at 1333 MHz which is supported on the old MoBo

Asrock G41C-GS R2.0 Motherboard

1 TB 2.5 inch hard drive from a Seagate portable HDD. Cheap/works

A somewhat simple system. Also having some generic HP DVD/CD writer. It has cable may ham. Only because I plan to change the PSU to a Corsair VS-500 that is more appropriate. Cables are all over. Also because I have a Duel Molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter that should not be. 

I could not get other pictures of the sound card and RAM. case is too small to get a good shot of that.

It does run cool. No heat issues.

Oh, it does run Crysis and GTA 3,4, and Lost Episodes.

I have yet to test out the Digital Out on my Sound card with my 7.1 surround receiver. I am waiting an a 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter so I can connect the Digital IO to the Receiver and be able to decode Dolby Digital and DTS from it. It does support full SPDIF. Also sounds awesome if I remember right.

The Mother board also supports Floppy. Funny what Asrock did. 

Some of the problems I had where from not reading the Manual. There was a jumper to adopt 1333 MHz memory. I was having stability issues till moved the jumper. After that it seems to run fine.

Just a cheap ordinary build from yesterday and today. I might also install a 64 bit OS. Maybe Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. I think that it can still be done. It would give the best of both worlds. Also justify the 8 GB of Memory.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

I should say not GTA 5 because of 32 bit, Direct X 9c limitation. GTA 5 is a 64 bit, Direct X 10 minimum game. I found that out when there was no install button on steam. 

PC does not browse with any thing except to get updates from known sights on Chrome. Example is Malware Bytes and Spy Bot Search and Destroy. No cloud no bullshit. No One Drive.

I love it! I pulled together an XP rig over the weekend for the same purpose actually, although it's nowhere near as powerful as your's. I might do it again with one of my Athlon 64 systems.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

47 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

E8500 Intel CPU running @ 3.16GHz Because yeah Core 2 Duo

Ditch it and get a Q9650 or a Q9550 off of ebay and you will be gold

i also have a HTPC running Windows XP

be sure to use SP3

if you are on a budget but you need a decent PSU

get the Corsair CX grey series PSU

I am running with a Q6600 OCed to 3GHz

a Gigabyte G41M Combo which has both DDR2 and DDR3 support.

4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

and a Sandisk Ultra SSD for the OS

HD5450 1GB for the HDMI output

and yes WIn XP does install on the SDD and you get less than 30 sec boot up

it also dual boot to Windows 10 for web browsing

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Q9550, if I can find one. I am getting a Corsair VS 500 tomorrow. ?Minesweeper? I'll try it. Does run Portal and Portal 2 flawlessly.

8 GB Memory for Windows 7 64 bit for duel boot since I am running Windows 10 in countless other PCs.

Corsair VS is a bad PSU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Have Many Corsair PSUs including a couple VS 500 PSUs. 

just because the brand makes some good ones don't assume that all are. 

VS I wouldn't put in anything other than a cheap office pc.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

nice cpu cooler

I have an old rig, currently using it as a NAS I was about to install XP but my dvd reader decided to die 5 mins after the boot, that thing is literally built with junk I've found, the case, psu, mobo, cpu, drives and it even has a graphics card, a fully working computer for free, I might post it, runs Windows 10 home

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Well after running DMC 4 with VS 500 PSU. Don't know if it's readable.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

New Egg has the CPU Cooler for $6.18. Hopefully the PSU holds out. CPU 0 hit 53c after 2 run of DMC 4. Doesn't even seem to be working hard. Probably beat my HD 6870 with a Phenom 1090t. The GPU hit a whopping 50c. Seems to be decent hardware for Windows XP. Sorry about cable management. It sucks in this case. Everything has to be out in the open for any kind of air flow. The CPU and Exhaust fans are a 1/8 inch away from each other. That made it hard to get the motherboard in. Also this is what I consider office type PC hardware in 2018. I doubt that it pull anywhere near 500 watts at all. More like 250 to 350. I have not had a VS 500 long enough to say that it is a bad PSU. No I would not use it in any AMD PC.  doubt it will even get warm under load. It's allot less noisy that the Lite On with analog audio anyway. PSUs are not affordable now anyway. Coin Miners also did that. Optical Drive from Lite On who probably make for HP suck anyway. I have had seeking issues with them. Normally I use Pioneer Optical drives. Oh well, the HP what ever got the job done for this PC.

Hi again.

It is running SP3. Also all updates till end with custom and also Microsoft update. Running Seagate Barracuda 1TB 2.5 inch HDD from Portable HDD. I just took that apart fresh from Wal-Mart and used the HDD out of it. It's a 7200 RPM drive, so it is decent for XP. I kept the SATA to USB 3.0 interface for a portable Blu-Ray drive. And just found out that it won't work. Sucky ass power connector. Need adapter for that.

On 30/01/2018 at 1:36 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I love it! I pulled together an XP rig over the weekend for the same purpose actually, although it's nowhere near as powerful as your's. I might do it again with one of my Athlon 64 systems.

The grail, you have found it?

I just stuffed a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive in it, and installed Cyberlink 13 and all of the updates for it that are applicable. I had to move the sound card over a slot because it stopped working. Than it worked again.

It needs a card reader. They make one with a floppy drive in it to complete effect that it's old.

I messed with the setting on the sound card. I set it to 96 KHz for digital out to receiver. There is a slight difference from 48KHz.

Thinking about trying Max Pain because it support Window 2000 and XP. I don't know about later OSes. 

Her are DMC4 Benches. I tested Vsync on and off in 1080. Well I don't have Vsynce tests, but here are the rest.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

I'm wrong, those are the ones I did on the Dell monitor that supports 1280x1024 at 75 Hz. I will see if I have that on my Camera in 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. It was dropping to 58 with Vsync on. It killed it with Vsync off, over 100fps. Settings all the way up. I'll have to do it and snap the shots. Also it the Steam Version.

Today I downloaded Max Payne 1 & 2 and also Portal Stories: Mel. All of them run fine on the XP rig. I got the Max Payne game on a combo deal on Steam $14.99. Anyone know if Max Payne will run on Windows 10?

Anyone know a retailer that sell White old stock White PC cases? Might paint the Antec I have White or Beige White.