Do Pro FPS Players use Stereo or Surround Sound?

ShoshinUK

I remain somewhat confused on the subject (for my own amateur competitive gaming), but just wanted to see if there is a vast majority one way or another, for say games like cs:go?

My gut says 90% plus will use stereo but I don't know so wanted to get a view and if possible any stat's?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Most use stereo. (I am one), my speakers a 5.1ch tho.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I think most use Stereo, and some people prefer to enable HRTF and others don't. I personally use stereo with the feature enabled. It completely depends on what you're used to and how you hear everything around you. You shouldn't use certain settings because someone else uses them. It's the same with playing your game 4:3 stretched because you're used to that. I tried that but it's nothing for me. Just try some things and see what's best for you.

Stereo. 7.1 is a complete gimmick and stereo is almost always the better option.

The game has a headphone hrtf option, and that is synonymous with virtual surround sound. Without the hrtf, stereo will only have 2 angles represented in the mix. This limitation means there will be situations where a sound in front of you and its mirror image behind you will sound the same. This ambiguity can be removed with an hrtf, though it might require listener training.

There is a demonstration here in this video, at 2min42s. It asks you to track an object with just audio, first with just regular stereo, and then with headphone virtual surround added in. So you can experience for yourselves the issue I was describing.

Ok keep the experienced opinions on the subject coming in please,

Overall I'm concluding that a decent stereo set up, gives a better over all sound quality. Whilst a well set up 5.1 or 7.1 system can deliver slightly better positional audio, but at the cost of some sound quality and alot of potential issues.

I am pretty experienced, having used a variety of headsets over the years but i'm just struggling to sign this one off as 'sorted'. 

However I have just ordered a set of Sennheiser PC363D (7.1) and will test them side by side my existing (fantastic) Sennheiser PC360 (2.1). Then, I will know for sure!

I have tried the Medusa true 5.1's and found them good, but everything was just to poor audio quality to suffer and whilst immersive, the 5.1 implementation in the games I played wasn't great. So they proved inaccurate with what I need them for.

I'm currently using the Razer Surround software, and find it pretty solid on my PC360's. I am certainly hearing the odd set of footsteps I don't hear with stereo. But the sound overall is to immersive, I get lost in it and somewhat confused sometimes! LOL

Tell me about HRTF as it's something I know little/nothing about and may be what i'm looking for. I play alot of Squad, Insurgency and Escape from Tarkov - all games where directional sound queues are critical if you wanna do well.

Cheers

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

I used to be SMFC on CSGO back in the day (Also professional Age Of Empires player). I used stereo headphones, but really that just what I had lying around. It doesn't matter so much if you can hear sounds, if you know the map and where people should / might / maybe / probably be then its fine. You'd probably have a bit of trouble if you use mono audio, but not impossible. Equipment doesn't make you a good player but it can boost you a bit, but not really that much. 90% probably use stereo just because its what we have. There isn't too much to gain from using pro audio equipment so much as investing in a good monitor.

13 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I used to be SMFC on CSGO back in the day (Also professional Age Of Empires player). I used stereo headphones, but really that just what I had lying around. It doesn't matter so much if you can hear sounds, if you know the map and where people should / might / maybe / probably be then its fine. You'd probably have a bit of trouble if you use mono audio, but not impossible. Equipment doesn't make you a good player but it can boost you a bit, but not really that much. 90% probably use stereo just because its what we have. There isn't too much to gain from using pro audio equipment so much as investing in a good monitor.

Yeah i'm under no illusions i'll suddenly 'get gud' re sorting a slightly better audio solution than I have. I'm just interested in the options and experiencing them - because I can and it makes me happy.

I now have the PC363d (7.1 headset) which are essentially the same as my existing PC360se (2.1 headset) both from Sennheiser. I had a go with the Sennheiser surround and found in tests it feels better, but in game i'm still preferring decent stereo. But it may just be what i'm used to so i'll keep testing away and see what I find out.

I'm almost convinced that what many say, keep surround for speakers systems is very much true!

Operating System Win 10

On 1/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, an actual squirrel said:

The game has a headphone hrtf option, and that is synonymous with virtual surround sound. Without the hrtf, stereo will only have 2 angles represented in the mix. This limitation means there will be situations where a sound in front of you and its mirror image behind you will sound the same. This ambiguity can be removed with an hrtf, though it might require listener training.

There is a demonstration here in this video, at 2min42s. It asks you to track an object with just audio, first with just regular stereo, and then with headphone virtual surround added in. So you can experience for yourselves the issue I was describing.

Oh lord here we go again....

From what I've seen in competition, stereo is the way to go. Which means that I'm a bad example, because I use surround sound - and get noscoped a lot.

• 1 month later...

I have stuck with stereo on my PC360's and have made a few minor adjustments via EQ and am very happy.

Turned the lows and highs up a little and it now sounds spot on for what i want.

I will try and source a quality true 5.1 headset and experiment from there (I previously used the medusa true 5.1 headset and had alot of fun with it). i.e I will stay away from virtual surround on headsets.

Operating System Win 10