FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Opposes White House Plan For Government Run 5G Network

Max_Settings
1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

nah, mate. That's what we, Italians, pay for our fibre internet. Unlimited mobile data is still a far away dream (unless you count the free access to internet once you hit your data cap with the condition that you'll be locked at 128 kbps as unlimited)

Same here, mobile data is a joke.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Italy has a population around 60 million, while the USA's is around 320 million, which is a bit over 5 times larger.

this alone breaks your all argument about the size difference between the two countries. Keeping in mind that on average italians are billed 20$ per month and americans are billed trice as much if not more.

There is no excuse.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 4.2.2018 at 12:55 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

If you take the 50 US States by area, the USA is ~32 times larger. If you take just the Lower 48, the USA is ~26 times larger than Italy.

Italy has a population around 60 million, while the USA's is around 320 million, which is a bit over 5 times larger.

Italy has that entire population in an area that sits between the sizes of the States of Arizona & New Mexico. (AZ slightly smaller, NM slightly bigger.) 

I just realized I've been explaining this same reality for almost 20 years. Seoul, South Korea & Tokyo, Japan have the world's best Internet speeds for a reason, and it isn't just because they're amazingly industrious people.

Then, depending on the metrics you look up, most of the NE States in the USA have higher average speeds, already, than nearly all of Europe. Though at somewhat higher prices.

*Cough cough Norway, Sweden *Cough chough

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/08/14/speedtest-ranks-internet-access-speed-in-more-than-100-countries/

Gotta love the love triangle  with Telenor, Telia and the goverment in Norway. 

28 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

*Cough cough Norway, Sweden *Cough chough

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/08/14/speedtest-ranks-internet-access-speed-in-more-than-100-countries/

Gotta love the love triangle  with Telenor, Telia and the goverment in Norway. 

I really should sign up as an media organization to get the full report from Akamai, but even with the numbers provided in the links...

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-map-usa.php

And that's from 3 years ago now. 

The Akamai data, when broken out properly, generally ends up pretty straight forward. The New England & Central Coast States torch most of the rest of the World, minus Tokyo & Seoul. The USA's average gets drug down as you move into the Food Producing & Mountain States because, well, "huge tracks of land" and the joy that goes with that.

Now, there's also the little issue, taking the Q1 2017 numbers from the first link, about population size. The USA has 50% more people than the top 9 combined. And over half of the population of the top 9 is Japan. So I'm glad for those in smaller countries that can put their resources towards Internet Infrastructure at a much higher degree than larger countries with other priorities. Enjoy it. But don't spread BS.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I just realized i missread something in the other post. Making the point i tried to make sort of out of place. 

Though Norway is a worse country to compare with due to large parts of it being covered in mountains and uninhabited, (lots of it still has coverage with mobile btw). Sweden is a prime example with many remote locations and forest terrain with many small towns were ROI time is very, very long. Making the likelyhood a business would ever invest there very small.

A state run company owning the net where the company rents out at a set price to anyone would be a good thing. To remove monopolies, companies that own a net or parts of it has to rent out their net to anyone that wants it at a set price. This way the company who makes the infrastructure gets a return on investment and it gets competition to avoid monopoly. 

This is how Telenor/Telia operates. Smaller providers rent the net while advertizing for Telenor/Telia speeds. This way Telenor and Telia pushes eachother to make providers and people like them. 

Since size is apperantly an issue. Do it at a state level, with each county/state organizing a plan that fits them well with the goal of achieving a set speed to a % of people at a fair price. 

How you would ever pull this through in the united states is very difficoult tl say. But starting with a change using the 5G net would be nice. Since generational improvement is a nice way to seperate the companies from owning the net, to the state owning the net 

But lets be honest. This is never going to happen in the country where companies rule the market with a wallet fist