FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Opposes White House Plan For Government Run 5G Network

Max_Settings
1 minute ago, divito said:

Funding comes from the very people who make up the country and use the service. Better to go that route than to siphon more funding from them in the form of paying customers for a private company.

I don't know why people would be more comfortable with paying more money out of pocket.

Because the people that want the service pay for it.  People that don't want the service do not.  With Government you have no choice.  If i choose not to pay my taxes because i don't agree with what they are used for Men with guns will eventually show up at my home to force me to pay them back.  Taxes in a nutshell are nothing more than theft at gunpoint.  I would prefer to pay more when and if I want the service rather than being forced to buy into it.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

I get a strange feeling this thread is going to get locked xD

Mixture of Political Stuff

Trump Talking about internet

and the guy who is trying to revert net neutrality 

Oh yeah perfect storm. 

27 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Because the people that want the service pay for it.  People that don't want the service do not.  With Government you have no choice.  If i choose not to pay my taxes because i don't agree with what they are used for Men with guns will eventually show up at my home to force me to pay them back.  Taxes in a nutshell are nothing more than theft at gunpoint.  I would prefer to pay more when and if I want the service rather than being forced to buy into it.

Relax Buddy Taxes are not Theft at Gunpoint.  So much of your everyday life is not possible without Taxes.  And if you have this big of a problem and think your taxes here is just the same as Gunpoint Theft. no one is holding a gun Requiring you to Live and pay taxes here. The Untied states Tax is relatively low-ish middle compared to many other developed countries. 

Heres 10 Countries that have 0 Income Tax

• United Arab Emirates
  • Oman
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Kuwait
  • Bermuda
  • Cayman Islands
  • The Bahamas
  • Brunei

I concur with Ajit.  The federal government shouldn't be meddling in this.  No matter what you may believe his motivations to be, his response is both appropriate and correct.

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

Look at Chattanooga, TN. They have municipal broadband (EPB), and it's worked out amazingly well.

@AlwaysFSX already addressed this, but Chattanooga isn't the federal government.  Their reach only extends to the borders of their city, and the residents of that city are free to either oppose it in city council or move to another city, if they don't agree with it.  It's much harder to oppose something on this scale, that's run by the feds.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I don't think he's doing it for that reason.  He's pretty much one of those puppets to distract you from what's going on with Trump.  I fucking hate politics.

To me, the only reason I see him saying this is so that the ISPs don't lose business from a government run 5G network.  We've seen this behavior from ISPs before trying to prevent small towns from creating their own network that would take business away from the ISP.

For all intents and purposes

Pai = The ISP

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

1 hour ago, Beowulff83 said:

If the private sector will not do it because of slow roi and its not profitable, where do you think the funding will come from?  Our taxes will go up and the Government will borrow even more money it cannot pay back.  We have been doing this in the US for far too long.  You can only kick that can so far.

Maybe if you guys stopped spending a complete fortune on your Military budget you would have more money for nice things :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Maybe if you guys stopped spending a complete fortune on your Military budget you would have more money for nice things 

The military is one of the few things the federal government is actually mandated to fund, most everything else should be under the control of the states.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

When you have the largest military it's kinda hard not to overspend on it.  Plus, if a military budget was cut then the military would probably become smaller.  However, we do indeed overfund the military for bs operations.

Dunno why you guys need the biggest military, just stop starting wars :P 

But let's keep it civil, It's not having a big military is the problem, but look at this graph. I mean is just so so so excessive. 

0053_defense-comparison-full.gif

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

But let's keep it civil, It's not having a big military is the problem, but look at this graph. I mean is just so so so excessive. 

Not at all. When you are the one at the top everyone is trying to take you down. You need to be well protected.

Just now, Not_Sean said:

0053_defense-comparison-full.gif

That budget also includes the defense of a number of European countries.  We're not just spending it on ourselves.

Just now, Jito463 said:

That budget also includes the defense of a number of European countries.  We're not just spending it on ourselves.

As well as Japan. Remember Japan has no millitary, the United States protects them completely.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

As well as Japan. Remember Japan has no millitary, the United States protects them completely.

I believe they have a local defense force (akin to a militia, if I'm not mistaken), they just don't have a standing army.  However, you are correct.  I was considering adding that to my post, I just forgot to.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I believe they have a local defense force (akin to a militia, if I'm not mistaken), they just don't have a standing army.  However, you are correct.  I was considering adding that to my post, I just forgot to.

Yeah they have what I would compare to the U.S. national guard. But no actual military.

The difference is, the percentage of tax that may or may not go to funding it is a ridiculously miniscule percentage than paying monthly out of pocket. 

In what universe is paying like $50/month better than .003% of your tax amount?

Isn't this the right stance? Private companies have developed the infrastructure for everything until now so why should it change with 5G? I sure as hell don't want the government controlling my internet...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Hopefully the executive branch peeps realize that this guy doesn't even agree with the boss and removes him. 

If the private sector will not do it because of slow roi and its not profitable, where do you think the funding will come from?  Our taxes will go up and the Government will borrow even more money it cannot pay back.  We have been doing this in the US for far too long.  You can only kick that can so far.

A_I never said non-profitable. I said slow ROI . There's a difference between something taking 40 years to ROI vs something that's never ROI.

B_Something just never see a return , but are important for the well being of a community at large . Road repair , fire fighting , etc aren't necessarily profitable , but they are necessary.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

@Jito463 @AlwaysFSX

I wasn't referring to this specific topic, I was referring to the broad statement "Infrastructure by government is a disaster". I can see how what i said was misleading.

To clarify, the federal government should not be nationalizing 5G. However, they should allow local municipalities the option to do so. ISP's are lobbying state governments hard to ban municipal ISP's, and to a certain extent, they are succeeding. The federal government needs to guarantee the right for local governments to create municipal ISP's. This way, everyone is allowed a choice, and can democratically decide what is best for them. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

So, if that twat is against it, does that mean it's actually good for the general public?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To be fair, Pai is right. The government trying to do anything with infrastructure is a fucking disaster. And it'll end up costing tax payers more money than if you just let companies do it themselves.

really, u want public roads and water distribution systems to be owned by private companies?

2 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

really, u want public roads and water distribution systems to be owned by private companies?

Never explicitly stated that, however if you look at our infrastructure it's not like it could be worse when they're managed by private companies.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean most governments do suck at making stuff.  Australia is one example of this.  Didn't they invite wifi yet have the worst net?  Ours is notorious for fucking up at everything it touches.  My point was about the timing, though.

Yer but nope but yeh but no.   Our internet is shit for whole array of reasons, the least  of which is government interference.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yer but nope but yeh but no.   Our internet is shit for whole array of reasons, the least  of which is government interference.  

Having said that we're in the top 10 for 4G LTE speeds..

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Having said that we're in the top 10 for 4G LTE speeds..

I guess building towers for heavily centralized populations is a piece of piss compared to trying to rework/replace 70 year old copper.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My boi pai, Back at it again with the heat , This time extra spicy!

Details separate people.