Will a light overclock decrease the life of the card

Docretier

Not in any meaningful way, if done properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

It depends on the exact card you have (not the model, the individual unit). Every card reacts differently and no card is guaranteed to work as intended at even a single mhz over its stock clock frequency. Usually a light overclock won't affect the card's lifespan but you can't be 100% sure. If you don't touch voltage and the temperatures are low you'll probably be fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As long as you don’t do anything stupid with voltages, even running a very heavy overclock won’t reduce the life of your card to shorter than you would ever actually want to use it. For example maybe it would last 15 years stock, but only 12 after overclocked.

Generally the rule of thumb is that the hotter the card, the more degradation it will face.
You can overclock your card, and then make the fan curve slightly more aggressive to keep it cool.

In my opinion, if you are in a position where you would benefit from extra performance, then you should absolutely OC your card.

15 minutes ago, Hugsy Malone said:

Generally the rule of thumb is that the hotter the card, the more degradation it will face.
You can overclock your card, and then make the fan curve slightly more aggressive to keep it cool.

In my opinion, if you are in a position where you would benefit from extra performance, then you should absolutely OC your card.

As Hugsy said not the oc will make your gpu die faster but the temperature u can make it run on whatever oc speed u want and if u have a good cooling and keep the graphics card as cool as it was with stock speed u can keep the oc and your card will be fine .
only overvolting maybe or will degrade your pcb traces (depending on how much more volts) over time ,but that probably wont happen when u still  have that card maybe after years of use.

2 minutes ago, HristoBB said:

As Hugsy said not the oc will make your gpu die faster but the temperature u can make it run on whatever oc speed u want and if u have a good cooling and keep the graphics card as cool as it was with stock speed u can keep the oc and your card will be fine .
only overvolting maybe or will degrade your pcb traces (depending on how much more volts) over time ,but that probably wont happen when u still  have that card maybe after years of use.

Overvolting and raising the power limit are two completely different things, correct? Overvolting can only be done with a flash, but power limit is changed in software like afterburner? 

And usually most of the alternate graphics card makers sell their cards already overclocked and some of them have not small amount of oc 
Mine Gtx 780 Gainward Go Like Hell edition comes with 15% overclock thats over 100mhz but the cooler keeps it at very low temp when idle and during high usage and i have it like 4 years now no signs of performance degradation compared to brand new one. 

1 minute ago, Docretier said:

Overvolting and raising the power limit are two completely different things, correct? Overvolting can only be done with a flash, but power limit is changed in software like afterburner? 

Yes they are 2 different things and raising the power limit will cause 0 harm to the graphics card. 
usually the power limit is different on every card but if the program allows u to turn it up that means your graphics card is made to run safe with no problems whatsoever.

If u are scared to do whatever stuff to your gpu even a small amount of oc .. even turning up the power and temp target just go and buy card that comes already overclocked for you. Usually that's what i do so i don't have to do anything. 

Always run max power and voltage for the cards I use to game. Wouid only oc if you actually see a viable gain in what you are doing. 

Had cards for 4 years and never had a single issue but they are also higher quality and i also don’t let my cards bake at 70/80c. You should be fine either way, just depends how long you want it to last. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, HristoBB said:

If u are scared to do whatever stuff to your gpu even a small amount of oc .. even turning up the power and temp target just go and buy card that comes already overclocked for you. Usually that's what i do so i don't have to do anything. 

My card already comes with a small OC, but I want to squeeze more performance out of it. I’m just making sure that I have an in-depth understanding before attempting anything, I’m not scared to do it.

Just go for it then u really can't harm your gpu if u only turn clock and memory clock speed just keep the fan curve agressive and u won't have any problems 
guaranteed 

Plenty of videos on there on it. No reason not too. Saying a card came with a factory oc is absolutely pointless. We have gpu boost and have had it for a while. Making oc version cards just another ploy to get money out of gulabile people. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Plenty of videos on there on it. No reason not too. Saying a card came with a factory oc is absolutely pointless. We have gpu boost and have had it for a while. Making oc version cards just another ploy to get money out of gulabile people. 

I don’t even see it as a boost, since it came from the factory like that. Sure the clock speed may be higher than the reference, but it’s not that big of a difference. It’s effectively just stock speed for the card.

Gpu will take it higher than that anyway. Even a reference card will boost higher than that. So it’s still pointless. Especially when it’s only 20hz.