Upgrading from i5 to i7 for fps in csgo

Hey forum, my brother playes csgo competively and wants more FPS in csgo. 
This is his current specs:

27152665_1904752209552578_109513344_n.png.2643aadcd26ac258a56f5a5a33b32b73.png

He is convinced that he will get better performance in csgo if he upgrades his cpu to the i7 7700k. 
Is this true, and even an opportunity? Money is not really the problem. 

Yes, the username is cringe. 

technically yes, but why? he should already be getting superb FPS with that setup

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

1 minute ago, L0gic said:

Hey forum, my brother playes csgo competively and wants more FPS in csgo. 

He is convinced that he will get better performance in csgo if he upgrades his cpu to the i7 7700k. 
Is this true, and even an opportunity? Money is not really the problem. 

No, no reason to upgrade. Difference would be very minor. i ould assume he is maxing out fps already

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

I don't know why you would need more than 300-400Hz.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Unless any of the CPU threads hit 100% while gaming, he won't benefit from upgrading.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Sounds like a monitor might be a more viable solution.

Does he have a 60hz monitor by chance?

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

7 minutes ago, L0gic said:

image.png.13a301e9c1026d02567a552361c57fd1.png

An overclockable CPU on a non overclockable chipset.... My oh my

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

No, no reason to upgrade. Difference would be very minor. i ould assume he is maxing out fps already

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Unless any of the CPU threads hit 100% while gaming, he won't benefit from upgrading.

Just now, Revamp said:

Sounds like a monitor might be a more viable solution.

Does he have a 60hz monitor by chance?

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i think he would see a better improvement if he gets a 980(Ti) the 7700K will help a little bit, tough not much.

He is easily going down to 180-240 fps when playing, on a single 144hz monitor, with a simple competitive setup. 

Now this is without alot of software running in the background. If he has plays.tv running in the background, then he goes below 100 fps which is a big problem. 

I have a gtx 970 as well as him and not as low fps. I though, have a i7 7600 cpu. Yes, the GPU update might be the obvious, but why would he get beneath me, if its the same generation card? 

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Ooohhh good eye haha.

He could definitely get a new mobo and overclock his 6600k as well.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

2 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Ooohhh good eye haha.

He could definitely get a new mobo and overclock his 6600k as well.

My motherboard is not overclocked though. Mine could be factory overclocked though. 
could the mobo be the reason for his low fps?

2 minutes ago, L0gic said:

My motherboard is not overclocked though. Mine could be factory overclocked though. 

What? No the motherboard doesn't directly effect performance and you cannot overclock a motherboard. The motherboard chip-set enables you the ability to overclock the CPU if the CPU allows it at all, which in this case it does.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, L0gic said:

Well your i7 7600 is either the i5-7600 which is a 4.1ghz chip, or its the i7-7600u which is a 3.9ghz chip

either way you go, your chip isn't a K chip and therefore locked so you don't need an overclockable mobo.

His on the otherhand is a 6600k which is a 3.9ghz chip but can easily be overclocked to the 4.3-4.5ghz range typically with a good board.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

What? No the motherboard doesn't directly effect performance and you cannot overclock a motherboard. The motherboard chip-set enables you the ability to overclock the CPU if the CPU allows it at all, which in this case it does.

In that case, why would my pc with a gtx 970, Intel i7 6700, and the same amount of ram then perform noticible better than him? 
Both got 8gb kingston DDR4 ram. I've got a SSD though, but the game is not running on it. Could it be the load of having windows on the same disk?

2 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Well your i7 7600 is either the i5-7600 which is a 4.1ghz chip, or its the i7-7600u which is a 3.9ghz chip

either way you go, your chip isn't a K chip and therefore locked so you don't need an overclockable mobo.

His on the otherhand is a 6600k which is a 3.9ghz chip but can easily be overclocked to the 4.3-4.5ghz range typically with a good board.

Apologies, did a typo on that one. Its an i7 6700, non k. 
The problem currently is that there is conflicting answers. 

What is the cause of this problem? 
The CPU, or something else? 

thx for the help, appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, L0gic said:

define 'low' I play on 2048x1152 everything cranked and consistently get over 200 fps (i7-4790k + gtx 960)

Have you considered reformatting both your PCs and testing?

He could have more bloatware, processes running in the background he doesn't realize, or a numerous amount of other things.

Also another thing is windows patch version. For instance you could both have different versions of windows and one could be better optimized than the other.

There isn't a problem. He has a 144hz monitor so 144fps is the max he is going to be able to see. As long as his fps is greater than 144fps, the only bottleneck is the monitor, which isn't an issue. His drops to 180fps don't matter because he is still getting over 144fps. 

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

There isn't a problem. He has a 144hz monitor so 144fps is the max he is going to be able to see. As long as his fps is greater than 144fps, the only bottleneck is the monitor, which isn't an issue. His drops to 180fps don't matter because he is still getting over 144fps. 

Umm just a few comments into the thread the op states this

"He is easily going down to 180-240 fps when playing, on a single 144hz monitor, with a simple competitive setup. 

Now this is without alot of software running in the background. If he has plays.tv running in the background, then he goes below 100 fps which is a big problem."

1 minute ago, Revamp said:

Umm just a few comments into the thread the op states this

"He is easily going down to 180-240 fps when playing, on a single 144hz monitor, with a simple competitive setup. 

Now this is without alot of software running in the background. If he has plays.tv running in the background, then he goes below 100 fps which is a big problem."

oh, my bad. thanks for catching that.

4 hours ago, mikat said:

define 'low' I play on 2048x1152 everything cranked and consistently get over 200 fps (i7-4790k + gtx 960)

4:3, 1280x1024, and everything turned off. I'm playing with 240 fps at minimum with the same gpu, and the same res. (GTX 970) 

So many factors that could be the culprit of the minimal frame differences.

• Different models of the 970 and yours could be clocked higher out of the box.
  • His pc has more bloatware.
  • Your PCs are on different versions of the windows patch.
  • He has installed and uninstalled more/different programs leaving behind different pieces of the original install.
  • Could have different storage drives with different speeds.
  • He's running more background processes.
  • He has a virus he is unaware of that is draining a little juice without him realizing.

Just have him to the following.

1. Make sure he has a semi decent storage drive.
  2. Reformat windows and clean up his PC.
  3. Buy a new motherboard that's made for his CPU and overclock his CPU.
  4. Be done with it.

The question ill ask is does he need plays.tv? why not another software? 

is the software up to date? I mean the website says its lightweight, but game recorders have some sort of impact.

if he is saving footage, is the game and recordings being used from the same drive? this may not directly impact frames but may contribute.

TBH i didnt read all the comments as its confusing as to what is going on xD

just seems like the software is the only issue.  

6 and 7 series Intel CPUs are pretty much the same last I checked and CS:GO does not like Hyperthreading either.

#1 Physically clean the PC and upgrade the cooler

#2 Fresh windows

#3 Z series motherboard + better heatsink + lock the CPU at max turbo / overclock

#4 better/faster RAM

13 hours ago, Chris_nz said:

The question ill ask is does he need plays.tv? why not another software? 

is the software up to date? I mean the website says its lightweight, but game recorders have some sort of impact.

if he is saving footage, is the game and recordings being used from the same drive? this may not directly impact frames but may contribute.

TBH i didnt read all the comments as its confusing as to what is going on xD

just seems like the software is the only issue.  

Agreed its very confusing. People saying different things. ;)
Actually it even drops below the 144hz when playing without as well, so i would not suspect that to be the issue. 

18 hours ago, Revamp said:

So many factors that could be the culprit of the minimal frame differences.

• Different models of the 970 and yours could be clocked higher out of the box.
  • His pc has more bloatware.
  • Your PCs are on different versions of the windows patch.
  • He has installed and uninstalled more/different programs leaving behind different pieces of the original install.
  • Could have different storage drives with different speeds.
  • He's running more background processes.
  • He has a virus he is unaware of that is draining a little juice without him realizing.

Just have him to the following.

1. Make sure he has a semi decent storage drive.
  2. Reformat windows and clean up his PC.
  3. Buy a new motherboard that's made for his CPU and overclock his CPU.
  4. Be done with it.

I physically cleans his pc for dust and ext. every 3rd month, did it on the 20th. 
He just reformatted the pc, but i'm not sure if properly. 
I will try to reformat his pc for him again, and this time from a fresh install. (maybe he did not) 
If no improvement i will add an SSD, which if also doesent have any effect then i will replace his motherboard with one which can overclock his CPU. 

As he is playing pro, he is not using any background software what so ever, and does not have any malware as he formats quite often. 

ty for the suggestions.