Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duxck

Router suggestion with 1GBPS Throughput WAN - LAN

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, I just got an upgrade from my ISP from 100mbps to 1000mbps up/down. I noticed that my current router is having issues with throughput WAN -> LAN ( Asus RT-N66U ) which as far as I can see should be able to handle about 730mbps WAN -> LAN, in my case the best I've managed to get out of it is about 200mbps. 

 

So I was thinking, perhaps you guys have suggestions of some basic routers, like 1 WAN 4 LAN which can handle 1gbps throughput. I can still use my old router as an AP to get it wireless for cellphone use. 

The one I've been looking at right now is the Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Security Gateway ( https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/ ) which seems to be able to handle that with no problems. 

 

Do you guys have any other suggestions? 

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Did they upgrade your modem as well? You need Docsis 3.1 before youll get a gig. 

I don't relaly know what docsis 3.1 is. What they did was to switch out all the hardware in the building. I don't have a modem just a RJ45 plug in the wall. 

When I trun tests with my computer connected directly to that plug I get between 500mbps -> 1gbps. 

 

Did a quick test now and it showed this: 

image.png.f14ea6786eb99083df0163211464375a.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, duxck said:

I don't relaly know what docsis 3.1 is. What they did was to switch out all the hardware in the building. I don't have a modem just a RJ45 plug in the wall. 

When I trun tests with my computer connected directly to that plug I get between 500mbps -> 1gbps. 

Whats the highest speed you got testing with your router?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Whats the highest speed you got testing with your router?

about 100->200mbps up/down. So hard to say what that might be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, duxck said:

about 100->200mbps up/down. So hard to say what that might be. 

Do you want to try disabling wireless before testing? Also with a different ethernet from RJ45 to router? Both routers should be able to handle almost a gig no problem unless there is a service causing the usage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Do you want to try disabling wireless before testing? Also with a different ethernet from RJ45 to router? Both routers should be able to handle almost a gig no problem unless there is a service causing the usage. 

Well I don't mind replacing the RT-N66U, I can use that as an Access Point for wireless only. And trying to get max throughput out of it isn't really important either since it will cap out at 731mbps either way, which is less than I should be getting from my ISP. 

 

I have tried to get more out of my current by disabling NAT, QoS and Wireless with no luck. Disabling QoS gave me about 50mbps more to play around with, disabling WiFi either 2.4ghz or 5ghz  or both had no noticable effect on the speed.This is still a far cry from the 731mbps that has been shown as reference https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan 

 

My question really only is if the router I have been looking at (Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Security Gateway) is a good choice and if not perhaps you have suggestions for something else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×