Loot Box Regulation Bill Introduced by Washington Senator

AlTech

A Washington Senator is introducing a new Lootbox Regulation bill to investigate Loot Boxes and the ramifications and come to a conslusion as to whether Loot Boxes are gambling or not.

Washington State Senator Kevin Ranker introduced a bill this month asking state officials, as well as game developers, to determine once and for all if loot boxes and similar mechanics are specifically designed to prey on children. 

“What the bill says is, ‘Industry, state: sit down to figure out the best way to regulate this,’” Ranker told the outlet. “It is unacceptable to be targeting our children with predatory gambling masked in a game with dancing bunnies or something.”

The issue, though, is complicated. If it were determined as a form of gambling, it could stand to reason the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) will have to change its entire rating system to accommodate. As of right now, the ESRB's highest rating allowed for sale in stores is Mature, which prohibits children under 17 from purchasing a game without an adult present. United States gambling laws, however, make it illegal for children under 18 or 21, depending on state, to engage in any gambling. If it were determined loot boxes are gambling, it'd be illegal for a child to purchase a game, even if they are 17. 

The ESRB does have an Adult's Only rating, prohibiting a game from being purchased by anyone under 18, but these game's aren't available in brick and mortar stores. But even then, depending on the state, a game with loot boxes won't be available to people under the age of 21. Any laws passed could change the way video games are rated.

The bill stipulates that the Study must conclude before December 1st 2018. It only applies to Washington State.

If the bill finds Loot Box mechanics to be considered gambling, games and apps featuring them will not be allowed to be sold to minors (people under the age of 21) in the state of Washington. This bill is currently aimed at investigating them to better understand them and to determine whether they are gambling or not.

I like the idea of having an investigation before they come to a conclusion but I know my posiiton on the matter already. Loot Boxes are predatory and are exploiting people through gambling mechanics.

Sources:

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/washington-senator-introduces-bill-for-loot-box-regulation-w515890

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

wish it didn't come to this. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

To make it gambling is damn stupid especially in Overwatch! That would be akin to saying trading cards are gambling because they actually have real life items not just stupid cosmetic items.

Too bad it won't work. The issue is that today's "parents" want to be their kids' friends, not parents. They'll just buy their kids the games anyways, like what's currently happening.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Too bad it won't work. The issue is that today's "parents" want to be their kids' friends, not parents. They'll just buy their kids the games anyways, like what's currently happening.

Well, if they buy the game and then they let their kid gamble then that's on them for letting their kids break the law.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Well, if they buy the game and then they let their kid gamble then that's on them for letting their kids break the law.

A) The sale to minors is breaking the law

B) The law is unenforceable unless govt. decides to illegally monitor everyone's activities via web cams, and make covering them up or being out of view when doing x activity illegal.

And this is just more reason for me to consider Washington a state of idiots.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Won't even work though, good reason to waste resources on it tho

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

By the same token parents let their kids gamble with Pokemon packs or whatever the hell is the big thing for trading cards these days, also they would have to regulate trading card games on PC as well because you can buy packs for Hearthstone not sure on others.

Its a good step in the right direction. There does need to be a big crackdown on this.

39 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Age 21 tag on Games is going to cause hell within the gaming community. It means all of the digital distribution platforms will have to verify the Age of the purchaser. No more Alt-Coin purchases. ID Verification for your signup account.

Oh, and then we get to the issue of selling games across State Lines. There's a reason no one was stupid enough to push this issue to this point. But, well, EA.

47 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Its a good step in the right direction. There does need to be a big crackdown on this.

Gonna crack down on trading card games too? Do you know what this crap would mean to those industries? Not to mention any other game of chance that kids play?

37 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Age 21 tag on Games is going to cause hell within the gaming community. It means all of the digital distribution platforms will have to verify the Age of the purchaser. No more Alt-Coin purchases. ID Verification for your signup account.

Oh, and then we get to the issue of selling games across State Lines. There's a reason no one was stupid enough to push this issue to this point. But, well, EA.

It also punishes those of you that refuse to buy them at all, and those of us that buy one or two on rare occassion. Just to try to stop kids being kids and bad parents being bad parents, which doesn't work.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Very true and if it is classified as gambling, responsible gambling must be promoted in game with details on gambling help lines and other details. The companies will also have to provide funding to gambling addiction programmes which will cut into profits.

Im not 100% sure but does Playstation and Xbox even allow Age 21 games on the platform?

The age restriction will also apply to any streaming of the game as well.

38 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It also punishes those of you that refuse to buy them at all, and those of us that buy one or two on rare occassion. Just to try to stop kids being kids and bad parents being bad parents, which doesn't work.

The hope would be the big publishers get together and work out something with the States pursuing this. Some specific rules for what counts as a "loot box" and what counts as "gambling". My assumption is we're going to see an axe on "Pay for Random Progression", while leaving Cosmetics in random chance alone.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

The hope would be the big publishers get together and work out something with the States pursuing this. Some specific rules for what counts as a "loot box" and what counts as "gambling". My assumption is we're going to see an axe on "Pay for Random Progression", while leaving Cosmetics in random chance alone.

Nope. Not gonna happen. At least not with only 1 state doing this.

If all 50 states do this then yes something might be worked out.

34 minutes ago, MetEishYa said:

Very true and if it is classified as gambling, responsible gambling must be promoted in game with details on gambling help lines and other details. The companies will also have to provide funding to gambling addiction programmes which will cut into profits.

Im not 100% sure but does Playstation and Xbox even allow Age 21 games on the platform?

The age restriction will also apply to any streaming of the game as well.

Yup. It's a gigantic mess if it gets fully tagged as gambling. Valve actually has the most interest in preventing this, given their monetization scheme among their big games. We're going to be in the realm of setting rules for things being "Magic The Gathering"-like and being Gambling-like. 

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know we can count on EA to be greedy idiots of grand effect, but I would hope the other big publishers got together and worked something out. Then forced it on EA. Or the Gaming space gets really nasty, really fast.

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Countries in Europe are also looking it to this and have ask the EU to also.

If one state does this then the others will be more likely to follow, since they can now apply gambling taxes to the game.

As much as I hate loot boxes, I can't see them being classified as gambling, since you always get *something*.

One senator saying something will have little effect. If a lot of them got on board, then maybe. Changing the rating will change nothing. Kids already play rated M games. 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A) The sale to minors is breaking the law

B) The law is unenforceable unless govt. decides to illegally monitor everyone's activities via web cams, and make covering them up or being out of view when doing x activity illegal.

And this is just more reason for me to consider Washington a state of idiots.

I think it's more a senator trying to gain a little publicity. A lot of states allow parents to decide what their kids can do, regardless of what the purchase age is. Alcohol consumption, for example. 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Haha no it won't. It'll require the ticking of a box and inputting your birthdate, perhaps a credit card. Which, surprise surprise, is easily worked around. 

12 minutes ago, BachChain said:

As much as I hate loot boxes, I can't see them being classified as gambling, since you always get *something*.

Thats not the definition of gambling though. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Well you get something but if this something is worthless isn't it the same as not getting anything? like invest 100 dollars in CS:GO Keys and end up with just skins worth the penny? You still lost every thing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Loot boxes are unnecessary trash that end to make many as crack addicts. More so a system to make people come back to game that I guess doesn't hold them, cause loot boxes > gamepla though. 

Wish that games would rather have unlock system which is just way better. But yeah of course how do you capitalize on that. You capitalize on flashy rng systems that sheeps adore. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If the bill finds Loot Box mechanics to be considered gambling, games and apps featuring them will not be allowed to be sold to minors

And there would go the vast majority of most multiplayer games' audience. About fucking time.

Keep in mind this is just Washington saying "We'll look into it", not actually a bill passed.

22 minutes ago, BachChain said:

You always get something on the slot machine as well. Even though sometimes it's a lot less valuable than the money you put in there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR