Always have the right connectors in your PSU!

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and in most cases its better to replace the PSU than use adaptors.

What would you do, when you have a 520W Topower P4 unit:
a) Replace that 15 Year old Junk

b) use Adaptors to connect your new 1080 to it

Replacing PSU.would defiantly be ideal, but OP probably couldn't.

Instead of doing whatever he did, he should have  at least used an adapter

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 21-2-2018 at 9:36 AM, NMS said:

Why in a world would anyone risk their system with such an approach? I'd rather wait months if I have no money and get a proper power supply than do this.

That's your personal problem.

8 minutes ago, Tummy said:

That's your personal problem.

Yup, that's a problem, having patience

:)

I just soldered 3 12V and 3 GND wires to the psu board with a 6-pin on the end that was needed to power a mobo (it refuses to boot without the extra power)

but some pals over here look like they just have money to burn and will say "get a new PSU, it's only $100" man f*ck that, nice mod, personally I'd use something with locks just to make sure it doesn't moves inside the computer, I have a custom PSU and I use something similar to the B16 in this pic but it's bigger and 4pin instead of 2 and the wires are thick, so the PSU has 3 B16-like female connectors and I have different male lines like 4x molex for fans, double 6/8-pin (thick wire supports up to 200w) or 5x SATA

Battery-connector.jpg

bought these connectors at a local TV service shop for $2 each and recently added the PSU a flex conduit and looks way better

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yup, that's a problem, having patience

It was a reference to a meme ;).

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

I just soldered 3 12V and 3 GND wires to the psu board with a 6-pin on the end that was needed to power a mobo (it refuses to boot without the extra power)

but some pals over here look like they just have money to burn and will say "get a new PSU, it's only $100" man f*ck that, nice mod, personally I'd use something with locks just to make sure it doesn't moves inside the computer, I have a custom PSU and I use something similar to the B16 in this pic but it's bigger and 4pin instead of 2 and the wires are thick, so the PSU has 3 B16-like female connectors and I have different male lines like 4x molex for fans, double 6/8-pin (thick wire supports up to 200w) or 5x SATA

Battery-connector.jpg

bought these connectors at a local TV service shop for $2 each and recently added the PSU a flex conduit and looks way better

Nice man, we understand each other. Also, cool that you have the balls to really solder the wires to the board of the PSU and that 1 wire can support up to 200wxD.  Building a PC is simple but understanding PC's is a lot harder. 

1 hour ago, Tummy said:

Nice man, we understand each other. Also, cool that you have the balls to really solder the wires to the board of the PSU and that 1 wire can support up to 200wxD.  Building a PC is simple but understanding PC's is a lot harder. 

usually the pcb has some extra holes on it so all you have to do is slip the copper throug, then apply some tin and basically that's it

1mm cable is usually rated for up to half kW and 5A, electricity is always safe when you know what are you doing and have the proper tools ;)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Hrm, that's a great idea! Put a potato fire hazard adapter and attach it to a potato that could kill you! A $20 PSU, even $10 is too expensive. That's ridiculous. Why spend $10 when you could spend $5 and buy a bag of potatoes! Or even find rotten ones in the ground, maybe eat them, same thing.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

16 hours ago, JDE said:

Hrm, that's a great idea! Put a potato fire hazard adapter and attach it to a potato that could kill you! A $20 PSU, even $10 is too expensive. That's ridiculous. Why spend $10 when you could spend $5 and buy a bag of potatoes! Or even find rotten ones in the ground, maybe eat them, same thing.

20$ isn't better than this one.

9 hours ago, Tummy said:

20$ isn't better than this one.

You can get a CX450 often for that price. Usually a VS, which still isn't a fire hazard, and is actually pretty ok. For $10, you can often find Corsair CX/EVGA B1/EVGA BT on sale.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.