We Stole Tampons from the Cashier-less Amazon Go Store

13 minutes ago, kv said:

Road navigation is far more complex than navigating the aisles of the grocery store...

Does the sign list every single item in that aisle? If it did are your going to read through all that? Do their categories always make sense? 

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

When you remove the human element from ANY social interaction, it is no longer a social interaction.

Whatever vision Jeff Bezos has for this is going to backfire in a very bad way.

Not a chance. When it comes to supermarkets, people just want to go in get what they want and get out as fast as possible without bumping into anyone or having to interact with any human being at all.

But what if you walk into the store with some products you bought in a different store, do the scanners then also scan the things you bought in the previous store or do they initially scan your stuff when walking into the store and then automagically put them on a list of items that will be ignored when walking out? Just wondering.

I quite enjoyed the "experience of being there", so to speak. Needless to say, while Linus does have a point about putting workers out of business, new jobs are always created that were not here before. People just need to adapt faster and not whine about losing the job to "robots".

Lost a job to that? Learn to code and create more.

13 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I personally hate cashiers, 10 years ago not so much but now it seems like they hire the dumbest teens possible w/o disabilities... So if Amazon Go was to come to Canada I along with half the people I know would support it.

I don't dislike cashiers, but the supermarkets in my area have this bad habit of understaffing their payment counters, especially during peak periods, where only half the counters are manned, the queues get super long and it's frustrating when you only have a few items you want to pay for. 

Assuming Amazon can get their check-out system to scale to deal with peak hour load, I see it as an immense convenience for me to be able to just walk into the store, take what I want and walk out. No need to deal with long lines, and scanning different cards for loyalty rewards and payment options. 

Even their self-checkout counters are little better, because I still have to navigate through several menus. I don't see myself as saving any time compared to dealing with a real cashier. It's probably saving the supermarket chain some money, but the benefits don't seem to be trickling down to me as a consumer. 

I don't think I am being anti-social. I just think there is a better and more efficient way to deal with purchases, and Amazon seems to be on to something here. 

7 minutes ago, NMS said:

I quite enjoyed the "experience of being there", so to speak. Needless to say, while Linus does have a point about putting workers out of business, new jobs are always created that were not here before. People just need to adapt faster and not whine about losing the job to "robots".

Lost a job to that? Learn to code and create more.

The skillset required to be a cashier is likely very different from what is required to build those machines. I don't think it's so straightforward as to except these cashiers to be able to retrain at the snap of a finger and find themselves servicing or maintaining the camera system the next day. 

1 minute ago, abazigal said:

The skillset required to be a cashier is likely very different from what is required to build those machines. I don't think it's so straightforward as to except these cashiers to be able to retrain at the snap of a finger and find themselves servicing or maintaining the camera system the next day. 

With progress comes a new level of skill requirement. And of course it's not easy, but that's the way the world works.

I got my degrees in university for something that I no longer do. I adapted. I can't see why others don't do the same.

Holy crap... the fact that this blew up is hilarious. Never in my life I think this would ever be a problem for linus lmao

- snip-

video:"let's make a video about this tech pack new store Amazon has set up and talk about what it will mean in the future"

internet:"let's bitch an moan about a guy not knowing the difference between one product and an other that has nothing to do with the crux of the video other than set a joke for comedic purposes"

the world we live in today

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

What is happening to the world?

Anyway, I'll just leave this old gem from 2008 2006 about technology monikers and female sanitary products just to make the pissed off people chill.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

I once had to go back to an art store to buy something i forgot to get previously. In my arm was a drawing block i bought from another outlet.

i paid for it again ,_, didn’t want to come across as a petty thief

Ye but here you don't even get asked. And bar codes are the same on, for an example, a coca cola bottle. So if I were to walk into that store with a coca cola bottle, the scanners would detect it and add it to my shopping bill. I'm confused, I don't find that convenient. Unless they scan you when you walk in, like I mentioned in the first post.

3 hours ago, NMS said:

With progress comes a new level of skill requirement. And of course it's not easy, but that's the way the world works.

I got my degrees in university for something that I no longer do. I adapted. I can't see why others don't do the same.

Truth be told half of all college/uni courses are jokes... The college I attended no-one who graduated even got into the "career path"... The 3 years we all wasted (for me 2), it would have been cheaper to have done a non-paid internship for 3 years...

3 hours ago, abazigal said:

A cashier is just a cashier, in the eyes of a employee is you can count change and push product out the door.  Someone at the same store who's job is to solely replenish and count stock can get a job as a inventory clerk...

3 hours ago, abazigal said:

I don't dislike cashiers, but the supermarkets in my area have this bad habit of understaffing their payment counters, especially during peak periods, where only half the counters are manned, the queues get super long and it's frustrating when you only have a few items you want to pay for. 

Assuming Amazon can get their check-out system to scale to deal with peak hour load, I see it as an immense convenience for me to be able to just walk into the store, take what I want and walk out. No need to deal with long lines, and scanning different cards for loyalty rewards and payment options. 

Even their self-checkout counters are little better, because I still have to navigate through several menus. I don't see myself as saving any time compared to dealing with a real cashier. It's probably saving the supermarket chain some money, but the benefits don't seem to be trickling down to me as a consumer. 

I don't think I am being anti-social. I just think there is a better and more efficient way to deal with purchases, and Amazon seems to be on to something here. 

Metro in Ontario is a prime example of this, during the huge whine over the min wage increase they where always ALWAYS, in the news complaining how they'll have to convert 24 hour stores to normal hours and how they'll lose some millions... The saddest part is most 24 hour locations when they got retrofitted removed their 24 hour status and never returned before the gov initiated the increase... Half of them didn't even get self checkouts either...

I personally goto self checkouts because it's usually faster even when it's dead, plus the expectation to talk, ugh... I use my phone to pay for everything or my card at those that don't accept tap so cashless self checkouts are not a issue for me.

I'm technically a introvert in real life so anti-social introverted it doesn't matter, even if your reason is time, rudeness of the workers what ever the reason the facts are cashiers are a dying breed and imo irl improve everyone's lives including the cashier wrist issues from repetitive actions.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

video:"let's make a video about this tech pack new store Amazon has set up and talk about what it will mean in the future"

internet:"let's bitch an moan about a guy not knowing the difference between one product and an other that has nothing to do with the crux of the video other than set a joke for comedic purposes"

the world we live in today

It's how he did it. You failed to mention he deliberately bought a personal hygiene product claiming to avoid a awkward cashier issue, coming from a location likely with at least one self checkout location.

I personally think LMG deserves the criticism, else how will they learn? They aren't teenagers flinging condoms around the local mall. They are a professional tech review company with 5 million subscribers. What's wrong with just going down there to check it out? Find something cheap and use it as a return example... 

My biggest issue with this video isn't the actual content bought, nor the title, it's did he genuinely steal the female hygiene product or not. That's one product you don't mess around with as it's a necessity for women once a month and that pack he took could mean the difference between being humiliated in public or not (shit happens, so it's possible)

Sooner Linus starts seeing LMG as a professional company the fewer apologies he'll actually have to do... No condoms no story, just a tech showcase...

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

It's how he did it. You failed to mention he deliberately bought a personal hygiene product claiming to avoid a awkward cashier issue, coming from a location likely with at least one self checkout location.

the point of the video was to show what Amazon Go was all about, the tampons where only there for comedic effect, as every Linus video that are informative are also capable of being fun.

I personally think LMG deserves the criticism, else how will they learn? They aren't teenagers flinging condoms around the local mall. They are a professional tech review company with 5 million subscribers. What's wrong with just going down there to check it out? Find something cheap and use it as a return example... 

learn what? the difference between pad and tampon?

yeah, cause that's what the all video was about: trying to see what's more absorbent between vegan food and always pads

My biggest issue with this video isn't the actual content bought, nor the title, it's did he genuinely steal the female hygiene product or not. That's one product you don't mess around with as it's a necessity for women once a month and that pack he took could mean the difference between being humiliated in public or not (shit happens, so it's possible)

or you know... this big youtube channel, with 5M, that has already made Sponsored video with Amazon already had talks with an Amazon representative about how the video will rollout and got their approval on everything.

And again, complaints that have nothing to do with the crux of the video, which let me remind you was: Amazon Go.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Sooner Linus starts seeing LMG as a professional company the fewer apologies he'll actually have to do... No condoms no story, just a tech showcase...

"It's a silly intro hook" -linus in his stream reply.

"... it's did he genuinely steal the female hygiene product or not."

Kind of. He used the refund option to get his money back to demo the stores return feature.

"That's one product you don't mess around with as it's a necessity for women once a month and that pack he took could mean the difference between being humiliated in public or not (shit happens, so it's possible)"

He bought a single pack of pads from a store in a video (which stocks literally hundreds of them). This point against is such a non-hypothet. Like, in the case that a women on her period has to rush a to store and the only store in the middle of downtown Seattle that sells pads is a novelty amazon store which is super crowded , etc, etc ,etc. Its a pointless whataboutism.

"Sooner Linus starts seeing LMG as a professional company the fewer apologies he'll actually have to do... No condoms no story, just a tech showcase..."

"At no point in this video have I apologized" -Linus in the reply stream.

- snip-

A video for all two women subbed to LTT kek.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just give the guys a break, if you bothered to follow @LinusTech you will have seen his recent livestreams explaining it was all pre planned with the Amazon Store, and they were followed by a PR Rep from Amazon and given permission to test the system.

wow... just wow come on people 

Haven't looked at the latest videos, so I'll ask: is this real? Is there an actual backlash to the Amazon Go video?

Can we nuke the internet already?

20 hours ago, Luscious said:

When you remove the human element from ANY social interaction, it is no longer a social interaction.

The future is lonesome indeed.

I read or heard from somewhere, that they have already paid for those pads, so technically they didn't really steal it. I can't seem to find that post or part of the video where they talked about this.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Will.N.Dad said:

Just give the guys a break, if you bothered to follow @LinusTech you will have seen his recent livestreams explaining it was all pre planned with the Amazon Store, and they were followed by a PR Rep from Amazon and given permission to test the system.

wow... just wow come on people 

Perhaps he should have disclosed that info at the end of the video. Then it probably wouldn't have blown up as much. Doesn't change the fact that Twitter is still cancer though.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

The fixed stream

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That seems to be a lot of effort and energy expended to respond to typical you YouTube trash comments.  Instead of an "Yeah lol, title wrong, this is a tampon and this is a pad, you got me internet," we have this.  Why does he seem to be taking it so personal?  Is @LinusTech okay?  I only got bits and pieces of the stream but man, if this was one of my friends, I'd call and check on him.