We Stole Tampons from the Cashier-less Amazon Go Store

Well i think it's good he made this because i hope people will learn to think before spouting their opinion. Like he said in the video, imagine if people got upset like that whenever you don't know something that is common to them. In school you can't ask stuff anymore because others will chew you out or at work your stuck with a problem and you can't ask a coworker because you'll get this stuff in your face if you do ask. It creates an environment where people are uncomfortable to ask even the simplest things. If only a couple people that see this video stop to think next time they feel like flaming someone for not knowing something then this has been well worth the effort.

I just read the box and those aren't tampons Linus

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

One thing I noticed that linus might not of during the first viewing of the video is this: The bottom right of all the labels have a QR code which likely aids in what was picked up and it likely the first line of figuring out what someone picked up.

image.thumb.png.b927e0e66a2c77d43ddbc55895b39655.png

the point of the video was to show what Amazon Go was all about, the tampons where only there for comedic effect, as every Linus video that are informative are also capable of being fun.

learn what? the difference between pad and tampon?

yeah, cause that's what the all video was about: trying to see what's more absorbent between vegan food and always pads

or you know... this big youtube channel, with 5M, that has already made Sponsored video with Amazon already had talks with an Amazon representative about how the video will rollout and got their approval on everything.

And again, complaints that have nothing to do with the crux of the video, which let me remind you was: Amazon Go.

Comedic? You find a bodily function comedic? Condoms are comedic, lube is comedic, hell searching for a dildo/toy because of "insert reason" can be even comedic, but when it comes down to bodily functions that can be very embraising for many esp for those who have had issues in the past with, this isn't comedic this is just being a AH.

I never said they need to learn the difference I litterally dont give 2 sh!ts if Linus knew the difference or if the editor did. Because when it comes to getting it for the SO they'd better know based on the packages out display(more on this below). The learning is to know what's "socially correct", I don't care if amazon gave the OK or not, that's not the point in the end if he didn't want it to blow up in his face like it did he should of skipped the "skit" all together.

You actually supported my point by stating it was for the sole purpose of AGo, he didn't need to use Tampons or Pads he could of used ANYTHING, so what if they didn't have condoms find something else for the skit lipstick possibly or makeup, if not just do the tech overview no BS no nothing. If he just stuck to the facts this wouldn't be a issue, now would it? It would've been no less entertaining for me to watch in either case, in fact without the skit we might of had a better look at AGo, less all the drama and his 2AM hell show which I understand his frustration about the Pixel 2.

11 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

"It's a silly intro hook" -linus in his stream reply.

"... it's did he genuinely steal the female hygiene product or not."

Kind of. He used the refund option to get his money back to demo the stores return feature.

"That's one product you don't mess around with as it's a necessity for women once a month and that pack he took could mean the difference between being humiliated in public or not (shit happens, so it's possible)"

He bought a single pack of pads from a store in a video (which stocks literally hundreds of them). This point against is such a non-hypothet. Like, in the case that a women on her period has to rush a to store and the only store in the middle of downtown Seattle that sells pads is a novelty amazon store which is super crowded , etc, etc ,etc. Its a pointless whataboutism.

"Sooner Linus starts seeing LMG as a professional company the fewer apologies he'll actually have to do... No condoms no story, just a tech showcase..."

"At no point in this video have I apologized" -Linus in the reply stream.

I've been in Toronto in a "general area" (as in within logical walking distance for emergency reasons, it's also still possible for a female to work with all men, or where no one is currently packing)  where they were in fact completely out of such items, one could go further out of their way to buy from another place but if you're in a bind and working or on lunch it is still 100% logical and still possible IT CAN HAPPEN. Also you assume they have hundreds, but the only place that has hundreds are the warehouses. Amazon Go is no different than any other store, they get supplied weekly/daily/whenever once that stock runs out its out. Think of it like this assuming a standard skid (48x40) it could hold 8 boxes wide by 10, assuming they were shipped inside additional boxes they can be stacked as high as 6ft. That will give about 1920 units, or resale value of about $6,566.40. While technically yes they "could" have hundreds they likely only have 100-200 at any given moment, and that's being generous. A 1,800 sqft storefront sounds like a lot (really isn't) but even if the back is 5x as big the food is likely prepped there they need refrigerated units etc, dry storage would be as minimal as needed.

So yes it is still 100% possible on a daily basis IT CAN HAPPEN. It's a bodily function which is predictable but never 100% accurate, ever. There are also issues with scented ones and Tampons where if they are the only ones in stock said person might not be able to use it, so even if they had those in stock said person might not (for medical reasons, and not just preference) be able to use those items. You can't go running around and claiming I'm wrong w/o knowing everything, let alone enough of one thing. Even if you worked in a grocery store or a Amazon warehouse, this is a pilot project done by Amazon so storing large amounts of the same good unless a high demand is required is illogical.

Apologies or not he had to make a second video about it, I did not watch the videos when I posted that as I had to be somewhere (was on the bus w/o headphones). So My bad for calling it an apology.

To sum it up for you two

My issues with this video are:

1. Did he truly steal something that could of been used by someone in need of them. (which he cleared up)
  2. Why did he choose something that he himself "can't" relate too, this means unless he's going to wear them he should not of bought them (using his wife as a argument is still not valid for this video)
  3. Why did he decide touching on a subject as such was the best way to go with this video.

When I said learn it's something I have said in the past about Linus and bad decisions. It's not about Pads vs Tampon. None of that As stated if you don't know the difference that's your fault. If you go out after your SO has requested you to do a E-run to get some personal hygiene products, I would assume it would be rather logical for you to know which she uses, if not ask, she trusts you with such a personal thing so the least you can do if unsure is ASK her, but she won't trust you if you screw up.

So basically when I said learn by their mistakes I literally mean take you users opinions and potential outcomes and actually stop and think:

1. Why are we going there
  2. Does it relate
  3. Will it offend, if so how much, or how likely.
  4. Possible things to add in the video during Post to clear things up that might go awry
  5. Should we really include it?

If they followed this the answers should of been:

1. To review and look and or tech demo Amazon Go's location.
  2. No Tampons and Pads do not relate to the actual situation and to the people that are personally in the said video.
  3. Pads and Tampons can be a touchy topic and can embarrass men of all ages and even some/most women depending the situation.
  4. If we decide to go threw with the skit we'll add text stating various facts at the end of the video or overlay at the appropriate times (much like when mistakes occur)
  5. No, we should not touch on the subject of personal hygiene products due to the nature of said product, the possible outcry outweighs the gain.

Do I care about the naming scheme? Nope, Do I care they stole "A product"? Nope. Do I care they took a specific product that even tho remote it's still there that could negatively affect one's life? Yes, very much so.

So maybe regardless what Amazon or others (like sponsors) say Linus and the gang should really stop and think "what would our community think". Also to point out I'm not a female but do have plenty of friends that are and what linus did was to me wrong in the sense of the product chosen and not his actions. I also would like to point out while I do find it awkward to buy them I have bought such items and even threw a cashier, if it's a required purchase why be embarrassed? Just remember one thing if the cashier gives any issues you can Always_PMS_274_logo11.jpg report them. I still stand by my point he could of used ANY other product and would of had a better result. Will there be hatred towards him "stealing"? Yes, no matter what he took it would have happened, and this is where a disclaimer in his video would have been a logical thing to have done, there for fault on LMG's end for not tying up loose ends.

If they had lipstick it would have been a better thing to have gotten imo, or even cherry flavour lip balm, then did the return because either the color didn't match his skin or the flavour was bad.

I don't condone the words from Twitter and all that, but I think Linus needs to realize he can't go running around doing things that are ultimately "questionable".

Ok, I seriously hate this forum software... I lost sections of it due to a incidental reload... And I can't be bothered to retype it all.

Basically My issues with this video are purely on a social standpoint. I do hope Linus learns from these events and when I mean learn I don't mean the stupid differences as everyone seems to be going on about, the next person who assumes this can do this as they have put words in my mouth and I expect them to put something else in their mouth to compensate for it.

Amazon is clearly aware of this loophole. Once, I ordered detergent from them and the bottle came partly unscrewed, meaning some of the contents had leaked out. I sent an email to amazon, and they gave me a refund on the spot, while allowing me to keep the bottle of detergent. I didn’t even have to prove a single thing. 

From amazon’s perspective, it’s probably less trouble to just return you your money rather than deal with the hassle of returning the product. Plus it impressed me enough to continue shopping with them via their amazon prime service, and apart from this one incident, their products have always arrived in perfect condition. 

So what amazon is probably betting on here is that only a few bad eggs will abuse this system, and given their scale, they can more than absorb these losses. The rest are honest customers who won’t be giving any problems. If someone is refunding too many products, amazon may just cancel their account and write them off as bad debt. 

Sounds like it’s just statistics at work. 

Hi, I've been a long time LTT fan and I saw a tweet that compelled me to post here. I don't know if Linus or crew take close looks at replies to new video forum threads but I figured I throw in my 2 cents.

Don't get me wrong, the tweet insulting Linus that blew up was totally not in good faith and I'm super tired of people exposing me to their hot takes for "funny online points"!!! I find the video itself to be of great, even important, value. I've always appreciated what y'all bring to the table in terms of your thoughts and opinions. However, I think the clickbaity thumbnail and title really, really betray the video content. It's a good and interesting video!

The fact that whoever titled and chose the thumbnail made a conscious decision to do so because it would get reactions. We don't live in a bubble and it's super important to consider how the mainstream consciousness thinks about menstruation. In this case, the most pervasive view is that men think periods are gross and literally know nothing about them. Therefore, Linus, being a man, holding pads, having this yt title call them tampons feeds into that men-know-nothing-about-pads-or-tampons view whether it was intentional or not.

Unfortunately, and I super hate to pull this word out, that's misogynistic. Why? Because it feeds into a misogynistic worldview. Having a misogynistic misstep doesn't mean anyone is a bad person, it just means we learn from it, chill out, and move tf on. I'm not saying anyone overreacting is in the right, necessarily, I'm just saying there's a perfectly valid explanation.

I know the original bit was supposed to be xs condoms and I know LTT wouldn't do anything in bad faith or hurt anyone on purpose but Linus, y'all need to step back and chill. You called them pads in the video for goodness sake. Just own up to the title being stupid as hell and change it to "we stole menstrual pads from the amazon go store" or something if you wanna keep that clickbait schtick.

8 hours ago, abazigal said:

Amazon is clearly aware of this loophole. Once, I ordered detergent from them and the bottle came partly unscrewed, meaning some of the contents had leaked out. I sent an email to amazon, and they gave me a refund on the spot, while allowing me to keep the bottle of detergent. I didn’t even have to prove a single thing. 

From amazon’s perspective, it’s probably less trouble to just return you your money rather than deal with the hassle of returning the product. Plus it impressed me enough to continue shopping with them via their amazon prime service, and apart from this one incident, their products have always arrived in perfect condition. 

So what amazon is probably betting on here is that only a few bad eggs will abuse this system, and given their scale, they can more than absorb these losses. The rest are honest customers who won’t be giving any problems. If someone is refunding too many products, amazon may just cancel their account and write them off as bad debt. 

Sounds like it’s just statistics at work. 

I too have had situations where amazon will simply refund you.

1. Return shipping too high for the items value.
  2. Profits where low on the item and possibly lose money by accepting the return.
  3. Personal products, basically anything almost in health/beauty some food items likely too. (this actually includes the pads Linus bought) Mostly for safety reasons.
  4. When amazon simply screws up...

The last one a family member actually got 2 identical items for free because the first one was poorly shipped then the second one had the same issue, amazon basically said F it and refunded the money. No idea if the items work or not... Just still sitting in their boxes unused, likely indefinitely. They didn't abuse the system and where willing to return them, they even printed the first returning shipping label but the second arrival in the same state before they could return the first.

Also I doubt Amazon will simply cut you off as that wouldn't be customer satisfaction, also 90% or more of amazon's products are returnable, if they don't think it's profitable to pay for shipping they will make you pay for it, at which time it's under your opinion if it's worth it. This happened to me lately when I returned something w/o even opening the shipping package, most likely due to 0 profits if they paid for both shipping, but the item was too valuable to simply refund.

Edit: In your situation it could also be seen as unusable a waste of money to get it back not to mention a possible hazard if it was to leak again. Tho to be clear I wouldn't buy detergent (liquid) from them for this very issue...

On 1/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, DJ46 said:

What happens if you grab something of the shelf and chuck it outside?

People look at you funny.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I'm amazed at the fact the video at this time has over 3 million views in a week. IT isn't about what he took but about the stigma of buy a product people feel uncomfortable about buying. Linus even stated he wanted to buy condoms but they didn't have any at that store. I found it funny and informative. People hang up on such lame stuff as a thumbnail title and or pad vs tampon... who cares its great content none the less.