We Stole Tampons from the Cashier-less Amazon Go Store

Omgeeeeeeeeee Linus, get the thumbnail title right, that's obviously not a tampon but a sanitary pad... 

Edited by Mr.Meerkat
Looks like its not an incorrect thumbnail but an incorrect title :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I hate having to walk around the store searching for what I want to buy. What I've always wanted is for a store to have some-kind of phone navigation to find where the product you want is in relation to you. Just like gps street navigation works. With their camera system and person tracking this should be easily accomplished in a store like this.  You could give it your whole shopping list and it can plot the most efficient route through the store to grab everything. 

Going one step further. Have some-kind of AR environment where you just hold your phone op in front of you and it highlights the products you're looking for.

Just now, geo3 said:

I hate having to walk around the store searching for what I want to buy. What I've always wanted is for a store to have some-kind of phone navigation to find where the product you want is in relation to you. Just like gps street navigation works. With their camera system and person tracking this should be easily accomplished in a store like this.

That or label isles.

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Going one step further. Have some-kind of AR environment where you just hold your phone op in front of you and it highlights the products you're looking for.

problem with that is it has to be customized to each individual store as most stores don't build every store the same size and shape and then if they move stuff (which happens ALL THE TIME in grocery stores), it's actually a tactic to keep you in the store longer so you find other stuff you don't need called "impulse buys" and add those to your cart on your way to finding what you came for and so each time a store moved something they would have to update the map for that specific store, maybe in the future machine learning will allow the maps to update themselves in real time but we've got a while before that happens

What happens if you grab something of the shelf and chuck it outside?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

What did the reporter do that it didnt know she had a yogurt?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Just now, DJ46 said:

What happens if you grab something of the shelf and chuck it outside?

Congrats on your purchase.

A saying that used to be common... you break it you bought it!

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

1 minute ago, unijab said:

Congrats on your purchase.

A saying that used to be common... you break it you bought it!

I meant: does the system know the difference between doing that and putting it back down somewhere in the store?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

problem with that is it has to be customized to each individual store as most stores don't build every store the same size and shape and then if they move stuff (which happens ALL THE TIME in grocery stores), it's actually a tactic to keep you in the store longer so you find other stuff you don't need called "impulse buys" and add those to your cart on your way to finding what you came for and so each time a store moved something they would have to update the map for that specific store, maybe in the future machine learning will allow the maps to update themselves in real time but we've got a while before that happens

In order for the system to work at all they already must have some digital representation for each individual store.

As for the impulse buy thing. I know I'd shop at a store I can be in and out of as quick as possible all the time and not shop at their competitors who didn't do that. Not to mention doing that allows higher through put of customers through the store.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

In order for the system to work at all they already must have some digital representation for each individual store.

As for the impulse buy thing. I know I'd shop at a store I can be in and out of as quick as possible all the time and not shop at their competitors who didn't do that.

i'm just saying this is such a staple of grocery stores and how they make money that asking them to do this would be like asking a cable channel owner like Disney or Viacom to sell channels individually to customers, it will cut into the overall profits and they just won't do it.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

So moving more customers through the store more quickly will cut profits. Seriously doubt it. 

once the system doesn't have this customer limit he discussed in the video that won't be an issue and that will have to be solved before mainstream deployment occurs

19 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

once the system doesn't have this customer limit he discussed in the video that won't be an issue and that will have to be solved before mainstream deployment occurs

Again, so long as I can get everything I want and the prices are reasonable, a store like that would get 100% of my business over their competitors. If even a small % of people have the same preference as me it will go way beyond a few impulse buys. 

As for Linus's closing notes about the millions of cashiers, Some gov's have already initiated things for it, increasing min wage is one. It might seem counterintuitive but really it isn't. as more and more "dead end" jobs are being lost people will try to abuse the min wage system thinking "hey they are desperate, we'll pay out min wage" when in reality it is a 45K job...

In the long run everyone will be better off w/o dead end jobs like cashiers, name one job being a cashier will get you that pays out more than 40K? You can't, because all you do is stand there and cash people out, when a issue arises you need to call for a manager (someone who really doesn't get paid much more than you either). Sure you could step up to become a manager but thats all and 1/10-1/100 of the cashiers will ever become one and are good at it...

I personally hate cashiers, 10 years ago not so much but now it seems like they hire the dumbest teens possible w/o disabilities... So if Amazon Go was to come to Canada I along with half the people I know would support it.

BTW didn't amazon state they were not going to be switching over the food chain they acquired due to the cost of doing so and space it uses?

1 minute ago, Powerscape one man band said:

Guns don't kill people,the the kinetic energy from the bullet's impact and the subsequent bleeding,trauma and organ damage does.

The person who initially pulled the trigger killed them, the kinetic energy just assisted in their crime. Plus if you shoot someone between the eyes there is no blood loss or trauma, just death, same with behind the head just below the skull ;)

52 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I don't think Linus stole it.  He didn't drop it in the aisle and cause a scene.

He refunded them, the question is did he return them? If not then I guess it's stealing...

When you remove the human element from ANY social interaction, it is no longer a social interaction.

Whatever vision Jeff Bezos has for this is going to backfire in a very bad way.

4 minutes ago, Luscious said:

When you remove the human element from ANY social interaction, it is no longer a social interaction.

Whatever vision Jeff Bezos has for this is going to backfire in a very bad

The store still has human interaction as it still has dedicated staff running the place, just doesn't have cashiers. I highly doubt it'll backfire since it's already been a success. I haven't heard of any reputable stories of problems with the store.

@LinusTech

What happens if you go into the store and you turn on Airplane mode after you've checked in?

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

So street signs negate the need for gps navigation?

Road navigation is far more complex than navigating the aisles of the grocery store...