Microsoft is building a new version of Windows 10 that "strips out legacy components"

0head

@bimmerman my work makes most of the computers we run on VM's with jsut a small box that connects to the networked servers running the stuff. VMware is extremely ocmmon for many applications. But I also think this case MS forgets that not evryone works on their time frame.

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

UWP is unstable crap, closed software, cant make apps without distributing trough the ms store or using different programming languages other than microsofts msvc/C#/.net.

Yes you can. Microsoft made it's won setup system for UWP app for outside distribution.

You even have the option under Settings > Windows update & security > For developers. where you have, by default, side-loading enabled (meaning you allow UWP apps from the outside to be downloaded and installed like normal setup programs. You can lock it down to the Store only, if you want.

UWP apps can be made in C++, C#, JavaScript (yes) and VB.

Android, you can pick whatever language you want... but it all gets compiled in Java binary code. Android loads Google's partially custom Java runtime player when you start the phone, and everything runs on instances of it. This is one of the main reason why Android and apps on it took so many years to deliver a smooth experience matching iOS. It mostly took the introduction of faster CPUs. And that is still an issue if you look at budget phones, while Symbian, and Windows Phone 7/8, while they were crap, could deliver a smoother experience than Android back in their respective days with similar specs phones, which is quite sad really.

UWP isnt attracting devs, good devs, there isnt a single good app in the store than i can name and im not talking about netflix like stuff, all important apps like discord, wire, telegram, all the browsers dont even have uwp client and good that they dont. Anything put on UWP is a half baked joke because its not a serious platform and nobody is going to retrain staff to program in ms specific languages/closed frameworks. If windows pushes UWP only which is unnacceptable the only solution is linux, altough not ideal.

You gace Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Word, Excel Powerpoint, OneNote, Hulu, News Flow, Disqus, Clatter, VLC, Adobe Photoshop Element, Drawboard PDF, Autodesk Sketchbook, Sketchable, Nebo, Plex, Viber, and more.

W10 adoption is increasing, ok, people dont know what they are getting into, what else is new, just like twitter does profiling and can mess with your data so does microsoft but even worse they have access to everything you say or do and all your acc's and passwords, you can deny all you want, they have everything unless windows goes free open source like linux period, every single part of it. Them releasing what data they collect is a joke really, good enough to fool more people into W10, very clever id say.

So, Linux is the best because it is open source... ok.. well switch then..have fun.

I use CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 16 at work.

I dont really care about peoples food on the table when my privacy is their profit. Not gonna happen. And implying firefox lives from donations is naive, firefox is a money making corporation, donations are just for fools who didnt dig to see whats behind all of it.

Microsoft always wanted something that apple and then google managed to achieve, locking down the desktop platform and promoting only MS software on it, all while stealing all your...

And the US government are all lizard aliens....Ok, I am stopping here... you are clear troll. Fun read though.

If they make it the new Home edition, I'd be fine with that, as long as they don't touch the Pro version.
Many legacy components are barely in use today(especially be the trove of people who just use their computers to browse facebook) and they could easily just make it so that it install that stuff after the fact if you do end up needed it, through Windows Update.

Personally, what I'd rather they do, is that during Windows' Installation, if you choose Advanced Installation, that they just ask us what we will be doing primarily with the computer, such as Web Browsing, Communication, use old ass hardware/software, Gaming, etc...

Giving us a trimmed down version of Windows that only has what you would actually need, for your needs and if you end up needed something else, it could install it either through Windows Update or through a cached Windows Installation folder, somewhat like what Linux does when you install something and it tells you that your missing X components and it will download/install it as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I seriously hope you are right, because if they do not understand this, they could very well virtually destroy modern computing as a whole.  Sure there's Linux and Mac but as everyone knows, many programs are not available for them so not having Windows (that can actually run existing Windows programs) would cause serious problems.

What are you trying to run that Mac can't? I've had no trouble running Office or even any game I want to play. This is just a myth now.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If they make it the new Home edition, I'd be fine with that, as long as they don't touch the Pro version.
Many legacy components are barely in use today(especially be the trove of people who just use their computers to browse facebook) and they could easily just make it so that it install that stuff after the fact if you do end up needed it, through Windows Update.

Home and Pro won't be touched. It won't be replaced by anything.

Win32 support on Polaris will most likely run on emulation layer.. at least for form factor that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Personally, what I'd rather they do, is that during Windows' Installation, if you choose Advanced Installation, that they just ask us what we will be doing primarily with the computer, such as Web Browsing, Communication, use old ass hardware/software, Gaming, etc...

I would like full control on each component, including optional components that you can right now enable after Windows is installed, before windows is installed. But as storage space becoming an irrelevant issue, this is less and less needed, beside accelerating Windows setup by having less things enabled.

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

What are you trying to run that Mac can't? I've had no trouble running Office or even any game I want to play. This is just a myth now.

What? xD There are many games that don't have a Mac version, not to mention various kinds of professional workstation-style software, not to mention obscure more primitive pieces that companies cling to for various reasons.  And yes, I know Wine is a thing, but besides the fact that's hardly a good solution (performance and reliability do suffer, this is a fact), it doesn't even work well for all things.  Don't believe me, just browse the winehq appdb sometime and see how many things are bronze or worse.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 adoption rate is increasing.

Hahaha, it's about time. Windows 10, after:

1. 3 years of being the only Windows OS people can get.

2. Giving it away for free for a year.

3. Downright FORCING IT (installing without prompting) on people.

is FINALLY catching up to Windows 7. Bravo Microsoft, bravo. *insert slow clap*

Well, actually, if netmarketshare.com is to be believed, Windows 7 still has a whopping 45%, while Windows 10 has 27%. That speaks. Windows 10 can't get past 7 even after the things I mentioned.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What? xD There are many games that don't have a Mac version, not to mention various kinds of professional workstation-style software, not to mention obscure more primitive pieces that companies cling to for various reasons.  And yes, I know Wine is a thing, but besides the fact that's hardly a good solution (performance and reliability do suffer, this is a fact), it doesn't even work well for all things.  Don't believe me, just browse the winehq appdb sometime and see how many things are bronze or worse.

Most modern games and tools have a native Mac version now, and Wine works great. An example of a modern application that doesn’t work and doesn’t have a work in progress would be great.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Most modern games and tools have a native Mac version now, and Wine works great. An example of a modern application that doesn’t work and doesn’t have a work in progress would be great.

Autodesk Inventor for one.  Works only on Windows, and is rated "Garbage" for every version on Wine.  If you'd like more, as I said, just browse through the appdb and Steam and you'll see plenty more examples.  Believe me, I wish what you were saying was true, and that there were legitimate alternatives to Windows.  If there were, I would be there in a snap, but sadly, while progress has been considerable, we're not there yet.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I knew I had mentioned this sort of thing somewhere before. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-01-26 at 8:01 PM, jagdtigger said:

Its already solved, its called Crossover...

Did you even try with some current distro? Its not as bad as you seem to think(im using linux for a long time).

Been using Linux home for years, but as stated, now with O365-integration all over the place, I see it's likley not happen during the next 10-15 years. 

12 hours ago, Tim_Huhtala said:

Been using Linux home for years, but as stated, now with O365-integration all over the place, I see it's likley not happen during the next 10-15 years. 

If they dumb enough to let themselves milked constantly for what a office 2013 can do for a one time price then they deserve to be stuck with MS and suck constantly because of that...... Meanwhile the ones who got off from that sinking ship in time will laugh pretty hard at them.

18 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

If they dumb enough to let themselves milked constantly for what a office 2013 can do for a one time price then they deserve to be stuck with MS and suck constantly because of that...... Meanwhile the ones who got off from that sinking ship in time will laugh pretty hard at them.

The problem is that bean counters the world around are looking for ways to save money.  They are notorious for not understanding any of the technicalities of an industry, they purely look at dollars in and dollars out.  If Office was as overpriced as you make out we would be seeing a lot more jump ship.   there simply has to be a catch, a reason why corporations and businesses won't jump ship. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The problem is that bean counters the world around are looking for ways to save money.  They are notorious for not understanding any of the technicalities of an industry, they purely look at dollars in and dollars out.  If Office was as overpriced as you make out we would be seeing a lot more jump ship.   there simply has to be a catch, a reason why corporations and businesses won't jump ship. 

If you factor in how long businesses using a given MSO suite im pretty sure that the o365 subscription isnt cheaper(if not more expensive in these long term situations). Plus they cant let go the bad habit of stuffing their documents with  VBA(oh man how i hate that thing). They using MSO because they stuck with it since MS made sure nothing can properly open their documents.