Ubisoft adds Predatory Lootboxes to Rainbow Six Siege and increases base game price by 50%

AlTech

Ubisoft has added lootboxes to Rainbow Six Siege and has increased the price of the base game.

The new price is $60 (Previously $40)

The Standard Edition is being thrown out and is instead bring replaced with an "Advanced Edition" which basically just gives a lot more Virtual Currency  and collection packs to the player.

The Starter Edition (the discounted but not worth it Edition) remains unaffected. 

The loot boxes are called Outbreak packs and cost $2.50 USD each. 

As with Ghost Recon Wildlands, Ubisoft is making users trying to feel bad because of how many free but totally necessary updates were pushed out. I say they were necessary from the perspective that the game was not good enough as is standalone at launch and required updated to bring back the player base and keep them interested.

So yeah, as Jim Sterling mentions, the unofficial unwritten rule of 2018 from publishers will be most likely "At least we're not doing what happened in  Battlefront 2".

Which if course is total BS and is just a way to make people shut up about it instead of complaining about it. 

So yeah, Ubisoft I'm not buying your games ever again unless you stop treating players like shit and disrespect.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ubisoft keeps on digging

CPU : i7 4960x @4.21ghz | Motherboard : MSI X79A-GD45 Plus ATX LGA2011 Motherboard | RAM : 32Gb @1600mhz Patriot Viper Red | GPU : Sapphire 7970 OC | Case : Cooler Master Centurion | Storage : 256Gb HyperX SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD | PSU : Corsair GS800W | Display(s) : Acer B276HULA 27" 1440p + EDGE10 21.5" 1080p | Cooling : Corsair H110 | Keyboard : Corsair K95 | Mouse : Corsair M65 | Sound : Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Operating System : Win 7 Ult 64Bit

p03b2wj.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The $15 version of the game is still available

The game's always had loot boxes... they had packs before this

I don't like Ubisoft too much but this seems like fake news. They finally have one decent game that was supposed to be a cash grab, but they accidentally made it fun and realized they should work with it. So they did, and they made a $15 version with a lengthy but still free way of unlocking more heroes, or pay slightly more for all the heroes (operators I guess). Loot boxes, the bag things, were already there, now they're just adding more. Big... surprise? Not really

I can't blame Ubisoft for this one. More and more people buy it, why wouldn't they increase the price? It's among top 10 most played on Steam right now, clearly successful, so it's a good business decision, and Siege is actually a good game. Plus all their loot boxes are cosmetic, and anything that isn't cosmetic can be gained without paying extra

later edit:

I'm putting this in big letters because some people don't know:

Siege has had loot boxes for years now. They're called Alpha Packs. Adding new packs isn't adding predatory loot boxes.

3 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I don't like Ubisoft too much but this seems like fake news. They finally have one decent game that was supposed to be a cash grab, but they accidentally made it fun and realized they should work with it. So they did, and they made a $15 version with a lengthy but still free way of unlocking more heroes, or pay slightly more for all the heroes (operators I guess). Loot boxes, the bag things, were already there, now they're just adding more. Big... surprise? Not really

I can't blame Ubisoft for this one. More and more people buy it, why wouldn't they increase the price? It's among top 10 most played on Steam right now, clearly successful, so it's a good business decision, and Siege is actually a good game. Plus all their loot boxes are cosmetic, and anything that isn't cosmetic can be gained without paying extra

I was here thinking they replaced alpha packs with these buy only packs.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

For many it is not considered the base game. It is content removed from the base game.

I did say that the starter edition remained.

I don't like Ubisoft too much but this seems like fake news. 

There were previously microtransactions. Ubisoft increased the price of the normal game from $40 to $60. 

And lootboxes were added. 

Theyfinally have one decent game that was supposed to be a cash grab, but they accidentally made it fun and realized they should work with it. So they did, and they made a $15 version with a lengthy but still free way of unlocking more heroes, or pay slightly more for all the heroes (operators I guess). Loot boxes, the bag things, were already there, now they're just adding more.

Again, you seem confused. There were microtransactions but no lootboxes before this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

I was here thinking they replaced alpha packs with these buy only packs.

Them adding another pack sounds fine to me, like Overwatch diluting their loot boxes with 100 sprays, but I don't see threads about that here

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For many it is not considered the base game. It is content removed from the base game.

There were previously microtransactions. Ubisoft increased the price of the normal game from $40 to $60. 

Again, you seem confused. There were microtransactions but no lootboxes before this.

You get 2-4 free operators for $15, and most people I play with stick to the same 2-3 operators. It's fine for $15

edit: 1-2 for free, not 2-4

There were microtransactions. And loot boxes. Alpha packs. They added nothing here. Did you even play Siege?

12 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

funny how this games popularity grew in the recent years after the botched release. If the devs are going down this path i don't think a lot of people are going to follow anymore imo.

My friend recently gifted me the game on sale for ~18 USD. I believe it's the base form of the game. I've unlocked 3 attackers and 2 defenders. So far I've only been playing against the AI, but it is a good fun game IMO and I'm sad to see this happening.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Alpha packs were always there bud... You either got them by buying them or by playing.

I have the $40 version and I don't have all the operators either, so it's not content removed just you take a lot longer to unlock other operators if you desire to be more diverse.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Haha, well this is a new low. You've completely fucked up this news post.

• The Outbreak Packs are for an event, they're not long term.
  • You get 4 free loot boxes for logging in during the event. People that buy the $60 version of the game get 10 for free.
  • Loot boxes will contain no duplicates.
  • They only contain cosmetic items, nothing that will affect how you play the game.
  • The $15 base game is still available. So they haven't increased the price of the base game.

Seriously kid, if you're going to report on things, at least do it accurately.

As for my view, I don't see a problem with this. If someone really wants to get all of the in game items, they can pay for them. They're simply cosmetic, and have no effect on game play. One of my good friends loves Siege, and has many hours invested. He bought the starter pack, and unlocked items as he saw fit. You don't have to buy the more expensive versions if you don't want to, but the option is there. What's wrong with that? Not only that, but if you only paid $15 for the game, then you can easily afford to spend some money on loot boxes if you really want the cosmetic gear.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, Okjoek said:

My friend recently gifted me the game on sale for ~18 USD. I believe it's the base form of the game. I've unlocked 3 attackers and 2 defenders. So far I've only been playing against the AI, but it is a good fun game IMO and I'm sad to see this happening.

See what happening? They aren't changing the $15 version, and the game already had loot boxes which seems to be getting missed for some reason. I don't think you get a roll for them if you only play against AI.

Why do we even allow YouTube videos as a source...

Ubisoft? More like Ubishit

473e3baa72819b3cab0f38b1a0d37dfb.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I really only take issue with the price hike of the game. For those who don't know or haven't  played siege extensively, the starter edition ($15) is basically a scam. It changes the credit/point system for unlocking characters and makes it take an inordinate amount of time to earn characters (mostly talking about the "dlc" characters). In the standard edition of the game, one can earn the "dlc" characters with regular play time (albeit slowly). This is I imagine a tactic to reel starter edition players into buying the dlc (unlock the dlc characters) in place of the money they avoided paying buying the standard edition. Changing the standard edition price to $60 and forcing you to buy in game credits along with the base game will basically make every new player buy the shitty starter edition where they will quickly realize that the game is essentially unplayable without purchasing the three season passes ($90) to be able to use the good characters (Yes the dlc operators are significantly better than the vanilla ones and are generally the only ones ppl play online). Overall at this point, I'm deeply disappointed in the payment scheme of this game. They are basically trying to play into every monetization strategy possible and upping the base price to $60 on top of the 300+ hours or $90 it would take to unlock decent operators is the last straw. Not purchasing another Ubisoft game from here on out.

this is how it is from now on.. 

from a business stand point, what those companies do making perfect sense. 

stop whining and just play the damn game. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Welp...I've been a season pass owner since year 1 season 1 (or 2?).

Am I going to buy their dumb LootBoxes? Probably not.

They released their Alpha Packs last year.

You can either buy them in real currency, or in-game currency.

If you play the game frequently (and don't suck and just lose ever match you play), it is pretty easy to obtain in-game currency.

I don't know if the LootBoxes can be purchased with in-game currency or not but...

So far, the Alpha Packs just unlocks weapon skins, weapon charms, and character outfits/skins -- like any other game.

It doesn't unlock anything give the player an advantage, or any kind of XP / in-game currency boost, etc.

Some of the skins are just stupid...actually can be a DISADVANTAGE.

...Since your Operator can stand out like a sore thumb...when you are Hot Pink top-to-bottom...

That said, jacking up the game price is just stupid.

Then again, don't buy directly from Ubisoft; get it when it goes on sale on Steam.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Since AC Unity they just kept on digging. It's insane. We understand that a company wants money but to just fuck an entire franchise/community/PR/developers is just mental.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

so you gonna complain about lootboxes being in the division too? since its from ubisoft? hmm?
i mean like it or not but lootboxes are basically an industry standard at this point. unless its completely outlawed globally it ain't going away period. so how do we stop this from being "predatory"? making sure kids don't get to buy this type of boxes. if you're an adult or at least like 18+ you should be capable of making your own god damn decisions with your money.
The devs don't need to hand hold every single player and hope they don't dump all their life savings into lootboxes.

the lootboxes in the division for example is just all skins and emotes, you literally don't need it to play the game whatsoever. most of the skins that can be picked up often even look better than the ones from the boxes. you can buy keys for the boxes or simply pick up the keys from drops by playing the game. i have more keys than i know what to do with and after opening the boxes for awhile the novelty kinda wears off. sometimes i find myself thinking, i can spend my time doing better things in the game than opening those lootboxes.

sure there will always be whalers in all sorts of games everywhere, but they've been a thing since forever. I would even say for the division's case the micro transactions might've even literally saved the game. player numbers were in the shithole and now its the refugee camp for destiny 2 players. i would guess that without people spending money on the game, ubisoft would've most likely told massive to just bring the game into maintenance mode after the first 2 years. But now its looking like its gonna continue strong till whatever sequel comes out. I've sunk hundreds of hours and have been there when it was the worst and quit the game after, but here i am even hoping for a paid expansion. 

if a game has microtransactions, fine whatever you know what you are buying into. As long as there is no P2W elements to it, its your own responsibility and pprerogative to buy things.
if a game doesn't have microtransactions, even better. But hopefully the devs can hope to support the game for a good while especially for online multiplayer games with only the initial money stream.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

And as I predicted, as soon as we change from a publisher people have a tremendous bias for (Blizzard) for one they have a tremendous bias against (Ubisoft) all of the sudden the news get nothing but vitriol and memes.

You reap what you sow people.

-------

Current Rig

-------