Graphics card not working outside safe mode.

ContraHacker

Hello, 

I have a GT 1030 from Zotac and I have been using it for a long time. However 1 week ago the PC stopped working. Upon diagnostics, I found out that it's seems like the GPU driver is the issue. When the system is powered up, the BIOS is seen on the monitor, and the windows logo appears. But after that the monitor turns off and goes into sleep mode. I removed the GPU and the system ran fine on the iGPU of the Q6600. I used the pnputil to remove the Nvidia drivers and booted into windows with reduced resolution. There I installed the latest drivers and when the screen went black as it usually does when you're installing GPU drivers, the same issue came up and the screen turned off. 

However If I boot into safe mode, the GPU works fine and device manager confirms that the GPU is installed. I see GT 1030 in the display adapters tab. I installed the 1030 into another system and connected it to the same monitor and was able to use it just fine. 

Please suggest me a fix. What should I do? 

Thanks.

This is a driver from one version back.  Try it out.  You can get other versions here: http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

use DDU to uninstall the driver completely from safemode then reinstall the drivers.

edit: You probably have a bad update and need to reinstall the drivers. For some reason windows has a hard time uninstalling nvidia drivers correctly. I recommend using the DDU software provided in the link above. 

Install the 1030 and drivers normally

then boot the machine in safe mode , this will let the machine know what monitor at what port is connected , you can even play with the windows display setting a bit so the machine knows it's controlling that monitor. then reboot the machine in normal mode and it should remember from safe mode what monitor is supposed to be in use.

This sometimes happens on the 10 series , the gpu will "forget" where the monitor is. 

51 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is a driver from one version back.  Try it out.  You can get other versions here: http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already tried doing that and it did not solve my issue. I used a driver from 20th Dec, on which date, the PC was working fine. I will be using DDU and see if that fixes my problem.  

On 1/26/2018 at 8:07 PM, Pachuca said:

use DDU to uninstall the driver completely from safemode then reinstall the drivers.

edit: You probably have a bad update and need to reinstall the drivers. For some reason windows has a hard time uninstalling nvidia drivers correctly. I recommend using the DDU software provided in the link above. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:26 PM, emosun said:

Install the 1030 and drivers normally

then boot the machine in safe mode , this will let the machine know what monitor at what port is connected , you can even play with the windows display setting a bit so the machine knows it's controlling that monitor. then reboot the machine in normal mode and it should remember from safe mode what monitor is supposed to be in use.

This sometimes happens on the 10 series , the gpu will "forget" where the monitor is. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:04 PM, JoostinOnline said:

Hello once again, 

My hard drive failed so I bought a brand new one and installed windows on it, I used the GPU for the entire process. Got into windows and installed the latest driver. Bam, same issue again. What do I do now? I have access to windows using safe mode like previous time. Any ideas? 

3 hours ago, ContraHacker said:

Hello once again, 

My hard drive failed so I bought a brand new one and installed windows on it, I used the GPU for the entire process. Got into windows and installed the latest driver. Bam, same issue again. What do I do now? I have access to windows using safe mode like previous time. Any ideas? 

can you post your system specs here including monitor.