"Reimagined Camera" is what Samsung promises on their Galaxy S9 launch at MWC 2018

13 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just as I've said before, the only advantage CDMA has over GSM is call quality at the expense of not having simultaneous voice and data.

In my opinion, that expense isn't remotely bad.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'd gladly take a reimagined battery instead.  You know, one that makes the phone last a full day or two.

The battery life on my S6 is so bad, it renders the phone unsafe!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

17 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't see a reason why Samsung wouldn't use the 845 in the US just for compatibility with existing CDMA networks. I think it was on Twitter that I read that the Exynos 9810 performs better than the SD845 at least in Geekbench. I'm not sure.

I believe Samsung has actually had CDMA capable modems in exynos SoCs before. It doesn't look like the 9810 is CDMA capable judging from Samsung's website though.

Samsung could go exynos only due to cpu performance like in 2015.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

I'd gladly take a reimagined battery instead.  You know, one that makes the phone last a full day or two.

The battery life on my S6 is so bad, it renders the phone unsafe!

Being on my personal S8 all day, it lasts a full day, two on the lowest power saving mode. Only doing talk and text on my work S8, it lasts 3 days, it'll go a full week on the lowest power saving mode.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I believe Samsung has actually had CDMA capable modems in exynos SoCs before. It doesn't look like the 9810 is CDMA capable judging from Samsung's website though.

Samsung could go exynos only due to cpu performance like in 2015.

But Samsung has to pay Qualcomm royalty fees because of their CDMA patents. I'm guessing for them to not pay royalties to Qualcomm, they'll just use Snapdragon SoCs with GSM + CDMA radios inside for their US Galaxy S/Note line while the rest of the world in GSM will have the Exynos variant of Samsung phones. I'm not sure though. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

But Samsung has to pay Qualcomm royalty fees because of their CDMA patents. I'm guessing for them not paying royalties to Qualcomm, they'll just use Snapdragon SoCs with GSM + CDMA radios inside for their US Galaxy S/Note line while the rest of the world in GSM will have the Exynos variant of Samsung phones. I'm not sure though. 

If the cpu is good enough it's wholly possible they could pay the licensing fees. Unfortunately this is all speculation though so I guess we won't know for sure until February 25th. On Samsung's website they list cdma capability for the 7872 but not for the 9810 though so I'm not sure if it does have cdma...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If the cpu is good enough it's wholly possible they could pay the licensing fees. Unfortunately this is all speculation though so I guess we won't know for sure until February 25th. On Samsung's website they list cdma capability for the 7872 but not for the 9810 though so I'm not sure if it does have cdma...

Yeah it's all speculation at the moment. No wonder my wireless carrier uses AT&T as a roaming partner because they use GSM.

I hope that on the Exynos models the bootloader can be unlocked like on the S7. 

I would have loved to buy the S8 but the locked bootloader on that meant that there was no official LineageOS ROM. I really don't want to deal with a stock ROM with all the Samsung bloatware and the Google crap. 

the one thing i don't care about in phones 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

who cares, cameras are good enough nowadays.

Absolutely not. Cameras can always be improved. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

44 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Not really. They could be greatly improved.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

15 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

the impression I get is almost always a terrible representation of how it ends up in real world use.  

yah... im really regretting my G6 after buying it, like its not horrible but the cammera is GARBAGE i really wish i had gone for something else but not wanting to buy OnePlus, this seemed like my best bet -_- should have just stuck with the broken screened OP2 untill my birthday or something tbh becuase i vastly prefer it :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah... im really regretting my G6 after buying it, like its not horrible but the cammera is GARBAGE i really wish i had gone for something else but not wanting to buy OnePlus, this seemed like my best bet -_- should have just stuck with the broken screened OP2 untill my birthday or something tbh becuase i vastly prefer it :( 

You can always sell the G6 and go back to the OP2.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You can always sell the G6 and go back to the OP2.

OP2 screen is smashed to shits, selling the G5 will get me back maybe half what it was bought for and its not that its un usable, i just dont like it. dont really have the budget to spend on anything right now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

OP2 screen is smashed to shits, selling the G5 will get me back maybe half what it was bought for and its not that its un usable, i just dont like it. dont really have the budget to spend on anything right now

This is something that I really hate about the way phones are. I can buy literally anything other than a phone and not have to pay a restocking, but a phone for some reason still has a restocking fee. If it weren't for a few other reasons id love to give Android a shot, but not if I have to pay a restocking fee if I still prefer iOS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well seams neat so far overall. Would be cool to see recording of like 960/1000 with DRAM like Sony does. Still, can't wait to see this camera.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Pixel oversampling can really improve picture quality especially for a small BSI CMOS sensor. Samsung might not be the first to do it it’s still a welcomed improvement to reduce noise. 

13 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Pixel oversampling can really improve picture quality especially for a small BSI CMOS sensor. Samsung might not be the first to do it it’s still a welcomed improvement to reduce noise. 

I'm probably not the target audience. I dont take pictures of my food and I only upgrade when my phone finally dies from torture.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:41 AM, dizmo said:

The legal reasons you were thinking of were that Samsung can't sell it's Exynos chips for use in non Samsung phones. Which is also not true, at least not now, as they're found in some Meizu phones IIRC.

Meizu phones aren't sold in the US though. At least not officially.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:51 PM, Drak3 said:

CDMA has, for a long time, offered much better voice quality, still does but to a lesser extent.

It was also more consistant as far as call reliability was concerned.

[Citation Needed]

Just because you have had a better experience on a CDMA network in one particular area does not mean the technology itself is better than GSM. There are several reasons why CDMA might have been better for you which are not related to the protocols or CDMA/GSM specific hardware.

Maybe there are more people on the GSM network where you are?

Maybe the GSM towers aren't as good as the CDMA ones in terms of positions or strength?

Maybe the antennas in the different phones you used had different gains?

There are probably more aspects which could have affected you.

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

[Citation Needed]

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

So why did so many US carriers go with CDMA? Timing. When Verizon's predecessors and Sprint switched from analog to digital in 1995 and 1996, CDMA was the newest, hottest, fastest technology. It offered more capacity, better call quality and more potential than the GSM of the day. GSM caught up, but by then those carriers' paths were set.

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Just because you have had a better experience on a CDMA network in one particular area does not mean the technology itself is better than GSM. There are several reasons why CDMA might have been better for you which are not related to the protocols or CDMA/GSM specific hardware.

Maybe there are more people on the GSM network where you are?

Maybe the GSM towers aren't as good as the CDMA ones in terms of positions or strength?

Maybe the antennas in the different phones you used had different gains?

There are probably more aspects which could have affected you.

I've had a better experience on CDMA everywhere in Idaho, Verizon, Sprint, and Cricket. The latter two both having less coverage than ATT and T-Mobile. From maximum singal strength to disconnecting every few minutes. Using the same phones, and different phones.

My ATT S8s' speakers are better than those on my Note 4 and S4, which were Verizon and CDMA Cricket, and both S8s sound worse in call on ATT.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

I've had a better experience on CDMA everywhere in Idaho, Verizon, Sprint, and Cricket. The latter two both having less coverage than ATT and T-Mobile. From maximum singal strength to disconnecting every few minutes. Using the same phones, and different phones.

My ATT S8s' speakers are better than those on my Note 4 and S4, which were Verizon and CDMA Cricket, and both S8s sound worse in call on ATT.

Again, you can't use your limited experience with the two technologies to make broad generalizations like that. Your experience can be explained with a wide variety of reasons which are completely unrelated to the actual protocols and hardware technologies used in CMDA vs GSM.

Also, you might want to read the entire article, as well as the quote you posted a bit more carefully. That article does not agree with you that CDMA is better than GSM.

It was better 20-25 years ago, but a lot has happened since then (just like that article says).

On 1/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Couldn't you have just replaced the screen? That's what I did on mine, pretty much only cost $40

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Couldn't you have just replaced the screen? That's what I did on mine, pretty much only cost $40

thats not much tbh, might do that tbh. i assumed it was more, and a bunch of work though

Builds:

Spoiler

Hopefully they allow a higher bitrate for video, as the low bitrate/compression kills what would be decent quality.