Will a Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler cool an i5 8600k?

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The psu is overkill. A good 550w would be plenty already. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37411/xfx-ts-series-gold-550w-power-supply

Other than that, it looks fine. 

I might get a 600w or 650w just to be on the safe side. I think I will get a corsair because lots of people like them and they have lifetime warranty.

36 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

I might get a 600w or 650w just to be on the safe side. I think I will get a corsair because lots of people like them and they have lifetime warranty.

The only Corsair products with lifetime warranty is ram but that's normal for ram from most manufacturers. 

The RMX comes with a 10 year warranty though. The TS on the other hand has a 5 year warranty. 

550w is plenty unless you're heavily oc'ing. If that's the case, you could go with a TX650M: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38283/corsair-tx650m-650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply

33 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

do you think I should get a fully modular psu? someone said its a lot easier for cable management.

It's easier but the difference is more dramatic when there isn't much space for storing cables. With the S340 Elite, it's easy to bundle the unused cables and shove them into the psu shroud.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The only Corsair products with lifetime warranty is ram but that's normal for ram from most manufacturers. 

The RMX comes with a 10 year warranty though. The TS on the other hand has a 5 year warranty. 

550w is plenty unless you're heavily oc'ing. If that's the case, you could go with a TX650M: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38283/corsair-tx650m-650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply

It's easier but the difference is more dramatic when there isn't much space for storing cables. With the S340 Elite, it's easy to bundle the unused cables and shove them into the psu shroud.

ok I might get the 550w then. would you recommend Corsair or XFX TS?

1 minute ago, tinitnt010 said:

ok I might get the 550w then. would you recommend Corsair or XFX TS?

The TXM is a bit better. If you want a semi-modular psu, go with that. If you want to save a bit of money, go with the TS. 

The TX550M is a bit cheaper if you don't plan to heavily oc but want the modularity. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38284/corsair-tx550m-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The TXM is a bit better. If you want a semi-modular psu, go with that. If you want to save a bit of money, go with the TS. 

The TX550M is a bit cheaper if you don't plan to heavily oc but want the modularity. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38284/corsair-tx550m-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply/

I coulden't see the TXM anywhere can you send me a link? with the corsair would I be able to do light to moderate overclocking? and what happens when I hit the power limit on a psu? does anything really bad happen or does it just shut off?

1 hour ago, tinitnt010 said:

I coulden't see the TXM anywhere can you send me a link? with the corsair would I be able to do light to moderate overclocking? and what happens when I hit the power limit on a psu? does anything really bad happen or does it just shut off?

The TX550M was linked in the post. If you draw too much power, the system would turn off. That being said, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're flashing the graphics card bios to bypass the official overclocking limits.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The TX550M was linked in the post. If you draw too much power, the system would turn off. That being said, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're flashing the graphics card bios to bypass the official overclocking limits.

ok thanks

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

on to CPUs my brother thinks I should get 7th gen to save money but I think 8th gen is going to be better in the future. I'm planing on having this rig for 2-4 years. I would like your opinion on it.

1 hour ago, tinitnt010 said:

on to CPUs my brother thinks I should get 7th gen to save money but I think 8th gen is going to be better in the future. I'm planing on having this rig for 2-4 years. I would like your opinion on it.

you should see Zen+ if you are interested with their Multi-threaded performance

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

you should see Zen+ if you are interested with their Multi-threaded performance

I'm not really an AMD fan sorry. I was talking about intel 7th and 8th gen but I'll take a look.

1 minute ago, tinitnt010 said:

I'm not really an AMD fan sorry. I was talking about intel 7th and 8th gen but I'll take a look.

but is your workload multi threaded? I mean Coffeelake is waiting for Next Gen Ryzen (Zen+). If you really want 8th gen because it's optimized ecosystem (far superior than AMD's issue when Ryzen first launched), then yeah 8th gen can be the way for you

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

but is your workload multi threaded? I mean Coffeelake is waiting for Next Gen Ryzen (Zen+). If you really want 8th gen because it's optimized ecosystem (far superior than AMD's issue when Ryzen first launched), then yeah 8th gen can be the way for you

ok. I will primarily be gaming on this computer but I think games in the near future will be optimized to use more cores like Star citizen. So do you think I should go 8th gen?

4 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

ok. I will primarily be gaming on this computer but I think games in the near future will be optimized to use more cores like Star citizen. So do you think I should go 8th gen?

yeah, the 8th gen intel will be more likely to have optimizations to gaming. afterall the 8600K is a beast gamer chip (paired with 1080, should be great too with at least 1050 IMO)

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

do you think I should go 8th gen too?

6 hours ago, tinitnt010 said:

do you think I should go 8th gen too?

Go for it as long as going with 8th gen doesn't hog your budget and gimp the rest your components.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Go for it as long as going with 8th gen doesn't hog your budget and gimp the rest your components.

Ok 8th gen it is then. that means my parts list will be mostly the same as what I showed you before. I did change the psu to a corsair 650w non modular bronze for only A$105.

one question. When I look at the supported ram speeds on my motherboard one of them is 2667mhz what if I were to change to corsair 2666mhz ram? would I have to under clock my ram to 2400mhz? or overclock it. I think I will stick to 3000mhz ram but I was just wondering. 

23 hours ago, tinitnt010 said:

Ok 8th gen it is then. that means my parts list will be mostly the same as what I showed you before. I did change the psu to a corsair 650w non modular bronze for only A$105.

one question. When I look at the supported ram speeds on my motherboard one of them is 2667mhz what if I were to change to corsair 2666mhz ram? would I have to under clock my ram to 2400mhz? or overclock it. I think I will stick to 3000mhz ram but I was just wondering. 

If you're referring to the CX650, it's worse than any of the other psus mentioned so far.

The listed ram speed is what's officially supported but going higher is fine. 

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're referring to the CX650, it's worse than any of the other psus mentioned so far.

How about the corsair TX650M?

is there any difference between bronze and gold other then the power efficiency?

do you know what the difference between fully modular and semi modular is?

thanks for all your help so far its been great. I think I will finalize all my parts and order in around 2 days.

5 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

is there any difference between bronze and gold other then the power efficiency?

do you know what the difference between fully modular and semi modular is?

thanks for all your help so far its been great. I think I will finalize all my parts and order in around 2 days.

well the components of a bronze rated and gold rated psu are different of course, well mostly tho and gold rated components are better than the bronze rated ones

fully modular has the ability to remove all cables from the psu, while semi modular has some cables that are non removable

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

7 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

well the components of a bronze rated and gold rated psu are different of course, well mostly tho and gold rated components are better than the bronze rated ones

fully modular has the ability to remove all cables from the psu, while semi modular has some cables that are non removable

ok thanks I think I will get the corsair semi modular gold 650w psu then.

6 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

ok thanks I think I will get the corsair semi modular gold 650w psu then.

why not this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'd like a corsair 650w.

for this monitor AOC AGON AG271QG 27in G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor  does it come with its own display port cable or do I have to buy one separately?

2 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

I'd like a corsair 650w.

for this monitor AOC AGON AG271QG 27in G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor  does it come with its own display port cable or do I have to buy one separately?

Why Corsair in particular?

The monitor should come with a display port cable. http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=15