Razer Poor Quality and Terrible Customer Service

Hi LLT Community!

So I'm a long time fan of Linus' videos and I take his reviews really seriously.  This is my first post and unfortunately it's because of a bad experience.  Maybe I'm just trying to vent.  Hopefully I can warn others about a bad brand and bad product.  

Based on his review of Razer products and specifically the first Razer Blade Stealth, I purchased a stealth for myself back in mid 2016.  The first Blade Stealth I got had a broken camera.  I RMAed it and they had no issues and sent me a brand new laptop after 2 more weeks of waiting.  The second laptop was fine until the fan started going crazy and it would occasionally blue screen when its been on for a while.  I contacted Razer again and they walked me through basically a reset process.  That still didn't fix the issue.  They asked me to RMA it.  Now here's where I messed up.  I did not RMA it because I needed the laptop for the next few weeks.   I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for my laptop to get fixed or replaced.  So I held off and dealt with the blue screens and loud fan.  (Big mistake) 

This past December the fan stopped working.  I was fed up so I contacted them again.  They told me they would take it in but they'd have to charge me since its now out of warranty.  So I bit the bullet and sent it in. 

Today they came back with my repair quote of $850.  The laptop itself cost was $1000.  They said there were issues with the  motherboard and battery.  (See attached)

I'm not sure what they expect.  Do people actually pay that? Why would I ever do that?  To get the laptop back (after paying 30 bucks to ship it there) they want to charge me a 130 dollar diagnostic fee.

I am at a loss for words.  My last laptop lasted me 9 years with no issues.  I thought I was upgrading.  

Any helpful advice from the community?

TL;DR

Razer sent me two bad laptops

Second laptop was out of warranty

Razer is charging me 850 dollars to repair a 1000 dollar laptop.

Razer sucks.  I need to vent. 

-Espy

IMG_7715.PNG

Should have sent the laptop in when asked.

I would get the laptop back and see if you can buy a new motherboard for the laptop. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

You're out of warranty. They want to sell you a new laptop, not fix your old one.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Most people here avoid Razer products. TBH, I think Linus himself has pointed out how much trouble he's had with the Razer laptops he bought for the staff several times. I can't remember which model year that was for though.

As for your experience, I agree with @ARikozuM you should have sent it in when asked. I get you needed it, but if it caused more damage while you were using it, you really have no one to blame but yourself. A bad fan can lead to pretty bad results in something that's producing a lot of heat.

I wouldn't pay that to repair an old laptop. Buy something newer and move on.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Razer products are simply bad, you're one of many who have had tons of issues with their products.

Even linus said that two thirds of the razer blades he bought his employees had issues.

For some reason he keeps recommending them.

The razer laptops also have an extremely short 1 year warranty, because clearly they know how often they fail.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yup never buying Razer.  

I know I should have RMAed it then.  Huge regret. 

That sucks, some of the best advice I got on here last summer when I was looking at a new laptop was never buy Razer!  Sounded odd at the time considering how many videos Linus does on them, but this really solidifies it.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

18 hours ago, Enderman said:

Razer products are simply bad, you're one of many who have had tons of issues with their products.

Even linus said that two thirds of the razer blades he bought his employees had issues.

For some reason he keeps recommending them.

Dolla dolla bills yo. Gotta keep that American money rolling in, because the NCIX Canadian Peso train has derailed.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I've never owned a Razer product or dealt with them but uut of warranty repairs are almost always very high so that quote isn't a shocker to me.  

It's unfortunate you got two bad products in a row but definitely should have got the issue taken care of while under warranty.  That part is your fault.  

If you poke around forums and the internet, you will find many complaints about Razer laptops' build quality (or lack thereof), and their abysmal/non-existent customer service. 

Go with Asus or MSI. They offer 2 year warranty.

Acer's predator series in my country offers 3 years warranty. Not sure about other countries though. Might be just 2 years

I've had products from Razer the past 5 years, and the only products I think are bad are the laptops and the older model headsets. I had issues with some old Kraken's 3 years or so ago, got one of the newer ones and I never had an issue since, and I keep hearing stuff about their laptops, assuming they are not the best.

Support is also a bit of an issue, here in Canada there is a live chat that makes it a bit better though.

Razer has been nothing but a shitstorm for me. I bought a Razer Seiren from them (biggest mistake) and after it stopped working after a few months (I later figured out it was because of a cable) they told me to turn it off and on again??????? It doesn't have an on and off switch?????

Too bad, because I really like the design of the Razer products. They were the first to offer decent specs on a Windows laptop in a Macbook pro - like form factor. (meaning dedicated GPU's and powerful CPU's).