Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Error When Installing M.2

I recently got an M.2 from work and I wanted to migrate my OS to it. My OS is currently on a KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD). When I plug my M.2 into my motherboard I get the error: Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device. When I go into BIOS, my SSDs aren't shown (neither the M.2 or the one with my OS). The only device that is shown is the HDD I use for backups. * * *

Specs

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU Intel Core i7 6700K

Motherboard MSI B150 GAMING M3 (MS-7978) (U3E1)

Storage ST4000DM005-2DP166 (used for backups) KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (Current boot with OS)

PSU EVGA 600 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 600W

• Trying to put the OS on Samsung 960 Pro 512gb m.2 but I can't even get my computer to boot past BIOS
  • BIOS does not show either my OS SSD or the M.2
  • When I take out the M.2, my system reads the OS SSD fine and boots into Windows.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, SnackPacks said:

I recently got an M.2 from work and I wanted to migrate my OS to it. My OS is currently on a KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD). When I plug my M.2 into my motherboard I get the error: Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device. When I go into BIOS, my SSDs aren't shown (neither the M.2 or the one with my OS). The only device that is shown is the HDD I use for backups. * * *

Specs

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU Intel Core i7 6700K

Motherboard MSI B150 GAMING M3 (MS-7978) (U3E1)

Storage ST4000DM005-2DP166 (used for backups) KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (Current boot with OS)

PSU EVGA 600 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 600W

• Trying to put the OS on Samsung 960 Pro 512gb m.2 but I can't even get my computer to boot past BIOS
  • BIOS does not show either my OS SSD or the M.2
  • When I take out the M.2, my system reads the OS SSD fine and boots into Windows.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-1.jpg

Unplug or disconnect everything but your boot device to make sure you can get back to your OS.  The install just the new drive and see if it's availible.

Have you ensured that your M.2 slot is properly enabled in your BIOS? Sometimes they can be disabled to save PCI lanes.

13 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Unplug or disconnect everything but your boot device to make sure you can get back to your OS.  The install just the new drive and see if it's availible.

So are you saying to hot plug my M.2 in while I'm in Windows? Or I'm misunderstanding you

8 minutes ago, SnackPacks said:

So are you saying to hot plug my M.2 in while I'm in Windows? Or I'm misunderstanding you

No, don't hot swap.  Just make sure you can boot to windows.    After that, add just the new drive and see if you can still get to windows and if the drive is recognized.  Go from there.

8 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

No, don't hot swap.  Just make sure you can boot to windows.    After that, add just the new drive and see if you can still get to windows and if the drive is recognized.  Go from there.

I can boot into windows fine if I take the m.2 out. If I put it back in, I get the same error

• 1 year later...

Have you been able to solve this problem? I am experiencing the same issues and I haven't been able to use my M2 SSD that has been in the box for 5 months now.