Is 7.1 bullshit

Mike2121

Ive heard differing opinions on 7.1 surround sound in headphones. Is it bullshit marketing or no.Is stereo better for fps and hearing footsteps?

Any type of surround is basically BS in headphones as the drivers play sound right into your ears, so you can only really determine left and right by the delay. The way your ears pick up whether a sound is above, below, in front or behind you doesn't work properly with headphones as it's worked out based on how sound bounces off your ears, which doesn't really happen when the sound source is right next to your ears, even if it's "physical" surround with multiple smaller drivers. That's why it can be difficult to determine whether something is behind, in front, above or below you in a game. Probably the easiest way to demonstrate this is trying to work out exactly where a helicopter is in a game, you'll often get it wrong. 

its really hit or miss, if you just use it for gaming its not that bad and generally something like a cloud 2 will have everything you want right out of the box and i never had any audio issues with it considering how comfortable and durable it is

Screw it dude, by hyper x cloud II's, which have a big button in the middle that toggles it on and off, try it for yourself in different games. Yes it's not true surround, but it is different than stereo, and I prefer it in games that give sound clues.

Shipping sucks

I can't even tell the difference with the Cloud 2s.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

3 hours ago, TurbulentWinds said:

between 7.1 and stereo mode?

Just now, Mike2121 said:

between 7.1 and stereo mode?

Sounds the same if I have 7.1 on or off . . .

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

should i get a good pair of stero then like the philip 9500's open backed

the cloud 2's are 60 on ebay recertifyed are they good for gaming on stereo for footsteps in fps

I have the G933 and without a doubt having surround on vs not makes a huge difference. Their binaural surround is really accurate and shots in games like PUBG and BF1 are very easy to precisely localize just by sound.

I've had a lot of people tell me their headphones don't do it well (I'm the only one I know with a G933) but for me it definitely works. It's important to have surround output enabled on both the headset and in the game settings for it to work but the difference between on and off is night and day, I immediately notice I can't locate shots when it gets disabled for some reason.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

7 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

the cloud 2's are 60 on ebay recertifyed are they good for gaming on stereo for footsteps in fps

Cloud 2s are a good headset.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Cloud 2s are a good headset.

good for hearing footsteps in games?

It depends on the game. Some games do surround sound pretty well (MGSV), but others see degradation when using Dolby or other techniques. I would just test the surround on various games and see how much of a difference it makes for you. As for the 7.1, yes, it's crap marketing since there are only 2 drivers in most headphones and you rely on the delay between the left and right driver for depth. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Yes, it is bullshit.

Most 7.1 headphones only have two drivers anyway, and are no different from stereo headphones except for simulating more drivers in software (which doesn't work).

Headphones with more than 2 drivers are shitty too, because the drivers are so close to your ears it doesn't make a difference anyway. On top of that, the sound quality of the "true 7.1 headphones" are usually terrible because they need to cram in a whole bunch of tiny drivers.

You can get great spatial recognition from stereo headphones. It all depends on the headphones (not marketing terms) and audio source. Some games handles audio better than others.

Im running a very good Sennheiser Headphone (Stereo) able to hear Footsteps in Siege and PUBG very well when it comes down to directions.. 5.1 & 7.1 in Headsets is only Marketing.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You can get great spatial recognition from stereo headphones. It all depends on the headphones (not marketing terms) and audio source. Some games handles audio better than others.

This. Something like binaural "surround" sound requires nothign more than stereo headphones: the key is how the sound was recorded, not the playback device.

For FPS games, where most sounds are generated as you play, the key is the ability of the game to produce sounds akin to binaural recordings in real time. People playing different games or audio sources may tell you a completely different thing about the headphones' surround capabilities, because they'd be in fact (unknowingly) discussing the quality of the source, rather than the playback device.

14 hours ago, Mike2121 said:

good for hearing footsteps in games?

Good enough for government work.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Why ask the question if you won't go with anything besides Cloud 2s because that's what you wanted in the first place.

I have had an interest in directional sounds in FPS for some time now.

I use a Sennheiser PC360 headset and have been on stereo for a long time, and very happy.

Recently I tried Razer Surround software, and once configured havn't turned it off.

I have absolutely heard footsteps I didn't before, I play enough Squad to have a handle on how it's output sounds.

I do find surround a little overwhelming sometimes, but am putting that down to adjusting so i'll see where I end up. But I am pleasantly surprised with the software - it's certainly more immersive but that isn't always a good thing re old competitive FPS try hards like me!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

When a headset advertises 7.1 it's pretty much BS.  Any artificial 7.1 added to the sound usually ruins the sound.

Like mentioned above, it depends on the game.  A game with good sound design will still sound like surround to your ears using a good stereo headset.  They will put in different sound effects for explosions that occur behind you vs in front of you.  You only have 2 ears, your brain does all the work depending on the pitch of the sounds.

I tried using the 7.1 button my Cloud 2 headset and it just made everything louder that shouldn't have been loud.  When I do use them i just keep them in stereo.

You'll find that most modern games handle the surround soundscape just fine.  Stick with stereo. Only go 7.1 if you're going with a speaker setup.

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Why ask the question if you won't go with anything besides Cloud 2s because that's what you wanted in the first place.

well i was going with your recomendation but i found the cloud 2's for 60 bucks. What would you recomend stereo headphone wise for 60 bucks. I also just wanted to get differing viewpoints.

The Cloud 2's are actually a pretty good budget headset.  I use them when I play online (I use my Sennheiser 598se when i'm not using my mic) and they sound good in stereo.

9 hours ago, Mike2121 said:

well i was going with your recomendation but i found the cloud 2's for 60 bucks. What would you recomend stereo headphone wise for 60 bucks. I also just wanted to get differing viewpoints.

Cloud 2 is okay although open back headphones will do much better job cause they have larger soundstages.

For your answer.

7.1 is a marketing BS if only the headset use multiple driver in each cup for example : asus strix 7.1 or kraken 7.1 cause they never work and more expensive.

Real 7.1 surround use multiple speaker (7 speaker and 1 subwoofer)

Spoiler

fd766ca9_vbattach205453.jpeg

Now Imagine if u have 1 tweet,2woof and 1 sub very close to your ear.

Those "real" surround implementation on a headset is never work,the drivers never work in harmony and end up ruining the sounds.

The best way to achieve surround sounds is to use stereo headset/headphone that is 1 driver per earcup.

Because virtual surround work by tricking your brain.

But that is different than binaural audio as @SpaceGhostC2C already explained it above.

If the audio is recorded using binaural recording then all u need is a pair of stereo headphone/set.

But if they are recorded in stereo then u'll need something to simulate it into surround sounds.

The problem with virtual surround is that they are trying to do their best but its never enough to satify most people "me included"

and as explained above its also depends on the game u play,some games handle audio better than other.

But i think virtual surround has it's own place for example i dont mind losing some details as long as i can pinpoint enemies footstep in games like CS GO because that is what actually matters in cs go or any competitive FPS.

For ur recommendation get the corsair HS50 its semi open headset and then use razer surround.

Or just get the cloud 2 since its 60bucks,they have a large soundstages for a closed back.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore