Samsung's new M3 Cores: Super Wide, True Apple Competitors at Last?

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Otherwise it's just another iteration of an ipad.

witch has been the best tablet on the market since the original in 2010.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That's not even what the discussion is. I personally would rather have an iPad than anything from the competition because iOS is better than Windows/android on a tablet as far as I'm concerned. BUT that doesn't change the fact that all other companies decided that 4:3 isn't the best aspect ratio for professional work.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

BUT that doesn't change the fact that all other companies decided that 4:3 isn't the best aspect ratio for professional work.

When one of the other companies have a better product they can pull some weight xD 

When the leader has a display aspect ratio that, apparently, people don't like, while still being able to be the best tablet period, then obviously the aspect ratio is not that important. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

1.) Thats pretty self explanatory, Apple designs these chips to go into each new phone and the iOS version it’s expected to ship with. They do not just slap something together and use it without any thought

Wait, now you're claiming they design the CPU to work especially well with the OS they use too?

[Citation Needed] big time.

Also, you're just making assumptions without evidence. Can you please explain in what way they have tailored either the OS or the CPU to work especially well with one another?

Do you also assume that Samsung's core design was specifically tailored to run their version of Android? I certainly don't, and I don't think Apple does either.

2.) iOS has always required less resources to run.

<video>

Ehm, you might want to read the article or watch the video. It does not say what you think it does.

If you don't feel like watching the video or reading the article, here is what it says:

1) Android itself uses less memory than iOS.

2) Apps on both iOS and Android varies in how much RAM they use. There is no general rule like "iOS apps uses less RAM". Sometimes apps use less RAM on Android, and sometimes they use less on iOS.

3) Android is not as quick to expunge cached data. On iOS when you minimize a program the OS will delete a lot of data quickly to save RAM, probably because iOS devices have historically had very little memory and have needed to be conservative with their usage. On Android however, a lot of phones has enough RAM to keep the date in memory for longer. This does NOT mean iOS is lighter or requires less resources to use. What it means is that if you close the browser on iOS while you got a bunch of tabs open, chances are you will need to reload all those tabs if you switch to the browser again a few minutes later. On Android however, those tabs would have been kept in RAM and would therefore not need to be fetched again.

Also, that video just looks at RAM. It does not look at anything else such as CPU or GPU cycles, or how often it fetches things from storage. I mean, you could probably modify Android to run on a few megabytes of RAM if you just made it expunge everything to a page file. It would be incredibly slow but in tests where you only look at RAM usage then it would look amazingly lightweight.

So no, I don't think your answers are valid. Until someone actually posts evidence, such as pointing out specific lines in the source code, or show clear examples of non-standard ARM ISA in the core I will continue to think that anyone who says these things are just parroting what they have heard other people say, or just assume a bunch of things.

That’s the preferred productivity aspect ratio for most getting work done. 

You can' be serious... Please stop making things up.

How is 4:3 "the preferred productivity aspect ratio for getting work done"? How often do you see people choose to use 4:3 monitors on their laptops or desktops? I can't think of a single profession which commonly uses 4:3 screens because "it's better for productivity".

If you know one then please tell me.

34 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When one of the other companies have a better product they can pull some weight xD 

When the leader has a display aspect ratio that, apparently, people don't like, while still being able to be the best tablet period, then obviously the aspect ratio is not that important. 

So what you are saying is that if something is the best selling, it is perfect and no aspect of it can be improved?

Right now this is the best selling laptop. It's a 350 dollar laptop with an i3 and a 500GB HDD. Therefore we can, with your logic, conclude that HDDs are better than SSDs because "the best laptop" has one, so an SSD is obviously not that important.

Remember, I praised the iPad saying that it was great, except for the aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is the only thing holding me back from buying one (it has more issues than the aspect ratio but not deal breakers). I wouldn't want to use a laptop with a HDD either, even if the rest was good.

I honestly think 4:3 is a terrible aspect ratio for a tablet (and fort computer monitors in general) and I don't understand why Apple made the horrible decision to use it.

42 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Only these companies have any market presence, and only Samsung and Microsoft make Tablets. Wacom makes drawing tablets, not tablet tablets. 

Those companies are the only ones that have large scale consumer tablet market presence. Elo is fairly widely used for many touchscreen systems if the company isn't using ancient touch screen monitors and they need to run anything more than Square or Paypal card readers.

Wacom has made the Cintiq Companion, Companion 2, Companion Hybrid, and currently offers the MobileStudio Pro. Those are basically Galaxy Note tablets on steroids.

43 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Says you, but it's not. It's one of the better ARM based tablets, but it's definitely not better than tablets like the MobileStudio Pro, Surface Pro, Viao Z Canvas.

46 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The iPad Pro is only "pro" because of the drawing aspect.

It'd make for a decent digital clipboard, but it loses out to the SP4/5 due to the aspect ratio.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

57 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

it's definitely not better than tablets like the MobileStudio Pro, Surface Pro, Viao Z Canvas.

It'd make for a decent digital clipboard, but it loses out to the SP4/5 due to the aspect ratio.

I'd also take an iPad over a surface pro even given the aspect ratio because I think iOS is much better on a tablet than Windows. Plus the aspect ratio doesn't personally bother me (although I also use it for notes/scratch paper -- so nothing professional).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd also take an iPad over a surface pro even given the aspect ratio because I think iOS is much better on a tablet than Windows. Plus the aspect ratio doesn't personally bother me (although I also use it for notes/scratch paper -- so nothing professional).

We'll always disagree on tablet OS.

The iPad Pro isn't horrible, but it's something I'd only ever use as a sketchpad. I personally hate writing by hand on tablets.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

39 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

We'll always disagree on tablet OS.

The iPad Pro isn't horrible, but it's something I'd only ever use as a sketchpad. I personally hate writing by hand on tablets.

I prefer it to pen and paper plus I always have access to everything no matter where I am and what I have with me, which is nice. But I also only use a tablet for hand writing notes/scratch, otherwise it's completely worthless to me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think what a lot of people fail to take into account when comparing the ipad to the SP is that it really just comes down to user preference, It's horses for courses,  The new SP has  4096 levels of pressure sensitivity.  It's not everyone's cup of tea and you can easily find reviews of artists who still prefer the ipad pencil.  However it does appeal to others and the extra resolution, screen accuracy and so on costs more, so who buys it is naturally going to want to prefer it to pay the extra. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/27/2018 at 2:00 AM, mr moose said:

I think what a lot of people fail to take into account when comparing the ipad to the SP is that it really just comes down to user preference, It's horses for courses,  The new SP has  4096 levels of pressure sensitivity.  It's not everyone's cup of tea and you can easily find reviews of artists who still prefer the ipad pencil.  However it does appeal to others and the extra resolution, screen accuracy and so on costs more, so who buys it is naturally going to want to prefer it to pay the extra. 

I don't get why people even compare the Surface to the iPad.

It's like comparing the iPad to a laptop. It's apples and oranges.

One has more processing power and far more powerful programs, and the other is more portable and more "specialized at media consumption" (put that in quotes because I think it sounded pretentious, but you get the point).

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

One has more processing power and far more powerful programs, and the other is more portable and more "specialized at media consumption" (put that in quotes because I think it sounded pretentious, but you get the point).

They do it because some people feel what they like everyone must like. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

People compare the Surface Pro to the iPad Pro because the iPad Pro is supposed to be Apple's competitor to Microsoft's tablet, mainly for art, but competitor none the less.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

As @Drak3 the iPad pro is meant to compete with the surface/pro, just in a different way. Both are targeted at anyone who would have a heavy use case for the stylus. One just has a much larger app support while the other has better touch support at the expense of compatibility, but ultimately both target the same type of use case as far as I'm concerned.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

People compare the Surface Pro to the iPad Pro because the iPad Pro is supposed to be Apple's competitor to Microsoft's tablet, mainly for art, but competitor none the less.

That's why I say it's horses for courses,  I have had to decide between an Ipad or SP or something of equivalence for my sons course load this year.  After discussions with the art department over which programs they use and what hardware they recommend, then reading way too many blogs and reviews from artists, I settled on a lenovo yoga 520.

Each school/artist/professional has a different requirement even though they are all "art" focused some won't touch an ipad while others wont touch a SP.   

On 1/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, DrMacintosh said:

“DrMacintosh”